Android Tablets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvman44

I have a Android tablet I like to use occasionally and has 1Gb memory and a 32Gb SD Card.  Is it possible to get it to install apps on the SD Card as the 1Gb is  fairly full?

There are apps in the Play Store that allow you to install or move apps to the SD card.  A search on install sd card in the play store shows quite a few, some free, some not.

Part of it depends on which version of Android you have. With KitKat or Lollipop, you can go into Settings->Apps. When you select an app, there may be a button to move the app to the SD card. Not all apps can be moved though. It depends on what the app developer put in the settings.

Earlier than KitKat...I'm not sure if it works the same. I haven't been on an OS that old in years.

BTW, I doubt that you only have 1GB of internal memory. You probably have 1GB of RAM which is different from OS/app/data storage.

ylexot said:
BTW, I doubt that you only have 1GB of internal memory. You probably have 1GB of RAM which is different from OS/app/data storage.

Good point.  I suspect the OP has 1GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage that Android refers to as SD Card.  If so, then the apps are being installed to the 32GB internal memory.  If he adds an external SD card, then some apps can be moved to it.

Look in the app store for something called "All in one toolbox"  IF it can be done, that will do it.

however I will warn you it is annoying as when an app updates it installs on the device and you got to move it again, and again, and again, and again (every update)

But it works on at least SOME androids.

I have an 8 Gig Smart phone (Galaxy S5 updated from an S-III)  I also updated the memory card since both were filling up.. it was 8 Gig, is now 64.  Lots of room.

Oh, I still get popup ads "Your phone is running out of memory"... Sure it is.. (Ignore mode on for that poop up and no, that's not a typo)

tvman44 said:
The 32Gb is on a SD Card I plugged in.

Then you also have additional storage in the tablet besides the 1GB of RAM unless the tablet only supports external storage.  What is the make and model of the tablet?

That model has 4GB of internal storage and that's where the apps will be installed by default.  You have added the 32GB SD card.  It came with Android 2.3, a very old version.  Has it been updated to a later version?  The ability to install apps to the external storage may be limited by the version of Android and what changes the manufacturer has made to it, but you could try one of the apps from the Play Store and see if it works.

Ned said:
That model has 4GB of internal storage and that's where the apps will be installed by default.  You have added the 32GB SD card.  It came with Android 2.3, a very old version.  Has it been updated to a later version?  The ability to install apps to the external storage may be limited by the version of Android and what changes the manufacturer has made to it, but you could try one of the apps from the Play Store and see if it works.
The page I'm looking at says 4.4.2 KitKat and 8GB internal storage:
http://nextbookusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=19

I just looked up the make and model with a web search and read the Quick Start guide that was pointed to.  Your referenced page is more specific and probably more recent, so I'll accept that as accurate.  Those aren't bad specs for a $60 tablet.

They were $80.00 when I got it.  I gather it is possible to update the OS on these tablets, I know almost nothing about them.  Just looked up the owners manual and it says OS is Android 4.2 & DDR is 1Gb. CPU is RK3188 Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 Main CPU frequency: 1.6GHz.

I was looking on Google Play for a update for Android 4.2 & found "Upgrade for Android? Go Next".  Is that a safe way to upgrade my OS?  If not what should I be looking for?  There are a couple of Apps I like but they will not run on my tablet, hoping maybe a upgrade would help this.

tvman44 said:
I was looking on Google Play for a update for Android 4.2 & found "Upgrade for Android? Go Next".  Is that a safe way to upgrade my OS?  If not what should I be looking for?  There are a couple of Apps I like but they will not run on my tablet, hoping maybe a upgrade would help this.
That doesn't upgrade your OS.  It simply checks your hardware to determine if the hardware is compatible with newer OS versions.  Basically, it's worthless.  If the manufacturer makes a new OS for your tablet, then your tablet is compatible.  If they don't, who cares because you're not upgrading anyway.

There is an update to 4.4.2 on the Nextbook website:
http://nextbookusa.com/download.php

However, I doubt that your OS is the reason that the app won't work on your tablet.  I'd be willing to bet that the app developer put restrictions on app compatibility (i.e. phones only) into the code when they submitted it.  I ran into that issue on a couple RV apps (including the Good Sam app).  I was able to get them on my tablet anyway (requires root/Titanium Backup) and they worked fine.  So, the app developers were just idiots.

The Play Store won't allow you to install any software that isn't compatible with your tablet, so you can safely install it.  "Upgrade for Android" could just be some updates to the current version, not necessarily an upgrade to a newer version.  The details should be shown on the upgrade page.

Apps that say they won't run on a device are usually incompatible because the device doesn't have the necessary hardware to support the app, but could also need a later version of Android.  If the upgrade really is a later version, probably 4.4, then go for it, but you're better to get the upgrade from the manufacturer as linked to above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom