backup camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

I would like to replace my old, original backup camera and monitor with a new, more modern unit.  I am assuming it is original equipment, or possibly after market that is nearly 20-years old.  Can I use the existing wiring from the old unit and just wire the new unit in?  No way to run new wiring, since it runs front to rear.  But if I can use the existing wiring I would be able to do it easily.  I guess I could pull new wiring by attaching to the old and pulling it through if I thought that possible, but I doubt I could be that lucky.  Any ideas? 

I;ve been wondering much the same thing. My 2004 Winnebago has a rear camera...but it's B&W and poor resolution. I'd love to put in a good HD color unit.

Boomer-

I have read one reply that said running the wiring front to back would be easy.  But mine is clearly running in my ceiling and replacing the wire does not seem possible, although I will yield to a more experienced person.  I would sure like to somehow use the existing wiring, but that may be impossible with the newer units.

Look at the connectors with that is there and what you want to buy.
If they are the same - yes.

If not ypu have to be innovative and run wires.
In through cabinets, AC ducts or along the frame and up.

I'd be willing to bet that trying to pull a new wiring harness the entire length of a motorhome with the old harness would be a serious challenge. You may end up having to remove all kinds of access panels to move the wires along - not saying it can't be done but - depending on how the original wires were run, it could be a tough job.

If the original wiring harness is good, I think I'd just hook a new camera and monitor up to it and be done with it. The original wiring harness won't support an HD camera, but for RVing purposes, an SD camera would work just fine. And if you plan on using it in the dark, SD cameras do better in low light environments than HD cameras. Just my 2 cents.

Kev

If you can't use the same wiring or have to run new wiring you may want to look at a wireless rear view camera.  With a wireless camera all you need to use is the existing 12v connection.  I have a wireless camera in my MH and it works great.  Happy RVing everyone.

I replaced mine in my 1995 Rexhall and had to rewire the camera. I ran the wire were the old wire ran. Some places I could pull with the old wire some places I could not. To me it was a worth wile project. I did not get a wireless because of the 30+ feet between camera and monitor. I wanted absolute reliability. I also set it up that when the engine is running it is on as that is my center rear view mirror and lets me watch my trailer and anyone directly behind me.

I hope you don't mind if I just paste a comment I made on a similar topic a short time ago...

"Our 2000 Georgie Boy Maverick 31 foot "C" had a Voyager system which was B&W with a small TV type monitor mounted directly above the driver's seat. Because of age and technology (or lack there of) it was almost totally useless. I replaced it with a Rear View Safety Model #RVS-770613 (Costco's number is 507735) that I purchased online through Costco. It is full color with 7" LCD screen and has full infrared night vision capability. The multiplexor that comes with it allows for the connection of 2 more cameras. It was not cheap but more moderately priced and Costco had/has the best price around and return policy (90 days)  It currently lists for $199.99 including shipping and handling. I use it as a rear view mirror. I removed the Ford mirror from the windshield and mounted the LCD  in its' place, so that looking at the LCD is like looking in your mirror. Works great and I can see both our trailer with our 2 ATV's on it and traffic behind us. I would not bother trying to troubleshoot/fix your current setup. Rip it out and replace it with a unit such as ours and you'll be a lot happier. Not so sure about the wireless units as I have seen stories/ comments on several RV websites concerning problems with interference, dropped connections, etc. Something you'll have to decide on. But again, I highly recommend that you upgrade your system. It'll be money well spent."

There are cable end adapters available on some of the websites that sell camera systems to adapt an existing cable to a new camera. However, why don't you consider running a new cable under your vehicle, using the frame and other supports, rather than going through the inside? There is no reason you HAVE to run the cable inside through walls, cabinets, etc.

2kgeorgieboy-  Your idea regarding running a new cable sounds great.  That may be my best bet.  However, the problem for me, it seems, is getting the cable down from the camera location, through the rear wall, to an area underneath where I can run it forward.  Running it forward and up to the cabin will be a snap, but that drop from camera to underneath will be my dilemma. 

I understand your concern. Are you sure that the cable for the present camera goes through the inside and not down and under your unit? I was fortunate that I could use the old cable to pull the new one behind the end cap and down to the bottom of our unit. Also, the end cap on this Maverick is one piece of fiberglass so there is a lot of open area between it and the inside wall. Could you use an electrician's fish tape to pull the cable or perhaps penetrate through the rear wall to the inside and then run the cable down to the floor behind/inside cabinets or such and penetrate the floor to exit back to the outside and underneath your unit?

Actually, I cut the old cable at a point underneath the rear cap and used it to pull the new cable UP to the camera location. I have a small access panel inside a cabinet over the bed that allows some limited access to the area near the camera. It was easier to pull the cable from the ground up as the camera system I have came with 66' of cable. I do have a rear window that created a little interference but I was able to get the cable around it.

I just replaced my monitoring system on my 2008 Fleetwood tioga with a wireless unit from Tadi Brothers. It works very well and easy too wire. Go to WWW.tadibrothers.com  there prices are really good.

tom

I would venture that most legacy cameras are just using two conductor wire and *probably* RCA connectors on the monitor side. That's true of most normal cameras today, so there should be no problem repurposing the wire. Just check the display end and see what you've got before taking anything apart. The potential headache could be power - you'll need to see where the old camera got power from. But, really, there just hasn't been much in the way of changes to this technology.

On my Southwind, I drilled through the endcap into the cabinets above the bed, into the corner of the bedroom, then down a wall into the basement and brought it forward. Not bad, should be applicable on most motorhomes I'd imagine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "legacy" cameras, but the system I have uses a 5 wire aviation grade cable with aviation grade connectors at all ends which allows for exposure to all elements. Even the old cable that was used with the old Voyager system had 4 wire cable and no RCA jacks.

A great number of the problems with rear view cameras is the cable. If you are going to the trouble of replacement of a wired camera I would strongly recommend a new cable. There are several good suggestions here to get it run.

napalm204 said:
I would like to replace my old, original backup camera and monitor with a new, more modern unit.  I am assuming it is original equipment, or possibly after market that is nearly 20-years old.  Can I use the existing wiring from the old unit and just wire the new unit in?  No way to run new wiring, since it runs front to rear.  But if I can use the existing wiring I would be able to do it easily.  I guess I could pull new wiring by attaching to the old and pulling it through if I thought that possible, but I doubt I could be that lucky.  Any ideas?

I did it in a Damon Daybreak it had a b&w system with a 5" monitor switched it for a 7" color.  Running the new cable turned out to be the easiest thing. Mounting the new monitor where the old one was was a little tougher.
The end cap of the motorhome has a gap which made it easy to run the new cable down the back and along the chassis to the motor bay then up either through a hole where other wire is already run or past the engine cover.
I haven't a clue if it is as easy in a diesel pusher.

Back
Top Bottom