1984 Coachman Cross Country 30RB brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhys

I just took possession of a 1984 Coachman CrossCountry 30RB (or 30SB, not sure which) with some brake issues.  Only paid $1000 for it :)  Problem is, the service parts identification sticker is missing off the front firewall, and I'm not sure which brake system it has on it.  Would anyone happen to know the brake system code for this particular model, or have any idea how to determine which one it is (JB7, JD7, JB8, JF9???)?  It's on a P37 chassis and is four wheel disc brakes.  Brake light is on, it's loosing brake fluid somewhere (haven't found the leak yet) and first the right front, and now the right rear have locked up.  My plan is to just go through it and replace the entire brake system front to back, but I need to make sure I order the correct parts the first time.  To do that, I need to know the brake system code.  I'd just put the whole thing up on jack stands, strip everything out, and take it in with me, but I only have room to get the front or back on concrete at a time.  Also, looking at it, it appears the proper way to access the master cylinder and brake booster is to remove the cover inside the left front wheel well to access them.  I haven't had a chance to peruse the service manual that came with it yet, but if anyone here has done this before, am I correct?  Any other tips or hints on accessing any difficult to reach parts of the brake system are welcome.  I figure the cost of the parts to replace the entire brake system is probably cheaper than taking it to a shop to have whatever is wrong fixed.  And being 30yrs old, I don't think it's a bad investment in maintaining the chassis.

Any help in identifying which brake system it has would be greatly appreciated!

The brake system may vary with the GVWR of the chassis - I know some of the smaller ones had some different parts. You may need to get a service manual to identify what you have. I think Chilton still publishes a "Chevrolet P30 Chassis Manual"

http://repair.chiltondiy.com/Chevrolet/P30/Repair-Manual-Online

Or find this one - I think it is about 1990 vintage:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=7248.0

Usually some on Ebay, too.

I've got the GM chassis repair manual, just haven't had a chance to look through it yet.  It appears that it's either a JB8 or JF9 brake system since it's four wheel disc and a 14-16000lbs chassis (GCWR of 15000lbs according to the owners manual).  Very frustrating that the service parts identification sticker is missing, as it would tell me exactly what parts I need....

Back
Top Bottom