1997 Coleman Santa Fe value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigRed211

I have a Coleman which won't open anymore, seems there is an issue with the cable system. We were told it isn't worth fixing due to the availability of parts. The repairman suggested we sell it for parts since the rest is in good condition. We don't want to spend a lot, we have one child starting college and another next year. We were looking to go smaller as well but were hoping to get another year out of this one.
Should we find another place to repair it or try to find the parts to do it ourselves? (We are both handy)
What is the value if we do sell it for parts? It  sleeps 6, 2 king beds, dinette that converts to twin, heater, hot water heater, 3 way fridge, indoor and outdoor stove, bump out galley, water pump, electric brakes, outdoor shower.

Fix it yourself seems like a reasonable option. If you can get at the cable system, how difficult can it be to fix? Probably aircraft-type steel cables and some pulleys. Might have to get a local shop to fabricate a bracket if something broke, though.

As for the parts value, the problem is finding buyers who want them. A salvage yard will only give you peanuts, cause they know they might wait a long time before somebody calls looking for the part. You might wait forever - how would anybody know you have these parts? You can advertise on Craigslist and Ebay, of course, but high shipping costs for larger items drive the sales price down.  Or is that repairman willing to buy?

Thank you for your help. My husband fixed the cable. We were able to get the cable from a RV supply store but also found we could get the parts at Home Depot. A new cable and pulley and we are good to go.

I was about to say.  The parts to the lift system are just cables and pulleys.    I would stop taking it to that first RV dealer.......had a similer experience with a van I had.  Had a strange motor problem that the dealer said was unrepairable as they couldn't figure it out.    One of the technician offered to buy at about 1/4 what it was worth...... At that point I accused the shop of knowing what was wrong with it and trying to con me put of my van.    They zeroed out my bill.  And I don't know what happened to the tech.  I would have fired him if he worked for me.  A little research and I found out it was just a bad intake gaskets.  A problem any good technician would have easily found.    My hunch about that shop was right.  Bunch of crooks

Back
Top Bottom