Removing Norcold 1200LRIM in a Winnebago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchormjj

Good Day!

I have a replacement cooling system from Arcticold on order for my Norcold 1200LRIM Refrigerator, which thankfully did not burn up our rig when the cooling system started leaking. I read 'somewhere' that removing the fridge in a Winnebago is "VERY DIFFICULT" and I wanted to contact the author of that post or hear from anyone else about any tips for removing it that refrigerator.

I am aware that there are two rollover protection brackets on the top of the fridge that must be accessed through the roof vent, and some sort of bracket on the side of the fridge accessed through the refrigerator hatch. I believe there was also talk of adhesive use in the installation at the factory.

Can anyone shed any additional light on how to remove the 1200LRIM from my Journey?

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Here's a write-up when I replaced my Nocold (intended spelling) with a Frigidaire residential fridge.  One of the best improvements we have ever done.  My fridge is on a slide so if yours isn't, the upper vent will be going through the roof but there should still be a bunch of similarities.

Thank you John,

Was there any silicon or adhesive holding your fridge in place?

Randy

I also did a similar upgrade as John (used same Frigidaire residential) on a 2002 Journey.  I paid a shop to do the swap but they said getting the 4 door Norcold out was not an issue.  FYI, the Norcold (with doors removed) will go thru the coach door and the Frigidaire (also with doors removed) can be brought in thru the entry door.  The passenger seat (if a DP) must be removed.

I would also agree with John that it was surely the best upgrade we did to that coach. 

Did you find any screws/adhesive?  I am having a similar issue on a 2008 Itasca Meridian.  I have removed from the front 3 screws on top, 3 on bottom;  in the back ( 4 screws on the bottom and 2 screws on the top.

Dang thing still won't move.  Of course all the utilities have been disconnected.

Thanks,
Ken

There is likely a lot of silicone caulking used around edges of the base etc., that will have to removed too. That stuff can hold like iron.

What Stu said. Also, be sure and look at my write-up (link) near the top of this thread when I replaced my Nocold for the Frigidaire.  Good luck with a replacement cooling unit, you might need it.

Yeah, the caulk seal around the back is almost surely what is holding it. Even after all screws are out, you still have to pry the sucker loose.  The trick is to recognise if you have missed a screw somewhere, so pry cautiously and try to see if any single point is resisting to much. That might be another screw.

Did you try the factory drawings under resources on winnebagoind.com?  Maybe there are some hints there. 

Alfa38User said:
There is likely a lot of silicone caulking used around edges of the base etc., that will have to removed too. That stuff can hold like iron.
  Yep. Even with all screws bottom, back, and top removed, the first couple of times mine was removed it was a rear beast.

On my 09 Journey, I recall there were significant steel brackets on both sides holding the fridge. Might want to check both of the sides. There was no silicone or other adhesive anywhere on mine. Good luck.

I had the smaller 2 door Norcold in my 06 Journey. It had a strap screwed to the top (accessed through the roof vent) and 4 bolts (2 per side) in the back sides (accessed through the side wall vent) and when I went to move the refrig it wouldn't move. I found that the mounting screws for the AC receptacle in back were screwed through the side mounting plates. Once I removed the receptacle mounting screws the refrig came out fairly easily.

As others have done, I replaced mine with a residential refrig ...... and yes the best mod I've done.

Here is a link to many photos I took during the swap process, note photos 22, 23, and 50 showing the back mounts and AC receptacle. Photo #59 shows the Top mounting strap. Way more photos than you need, but may help others considering a similar refrig mod.

Russ

Good job Russ! Did you make a post about your fridge job in our sticky thread about residential fridge installs? I like your idea of using the metal hanger straps to keep the fridge in place. Mine hasn't moved since installation several years ago.

John Canfield said:
Good job Russ! Did you make a post about your fridge job in our sticky thread about residential fridge installs? I like your idea of using the metal hanger straps to keep the fridge in place. Mine hasn't moved since installation several years ago.
John - I just added a post to the Refrig Swap Sticky.

The two big and two small straps I used on the base of the refrig hold it in place. There is no movement at all.

RGrimm said:
I had the smaller 2 door Norcold in my 06 Journey. It had a strap screwed to the top (accessed through the roof vent) and 4 bolts (2 per side) in the back sides (accessed through the side wall vent) and when I went to move the refrig it wouldn't move. I found that the mounting screws for the AC receptacle in back were screwed through the side mounting plates. Once I removed the receptacle mounting screws the refrig came out fairly easily.

As others have done, I replaced mine with a residential refrig ...... and yes the best mod I've done.

Here is a link to many photos I took during the swap process, note photos 22, 23, and 50 showing the back mounts and AC receptacle. Photo #59 shows the Top mounting strap. Way more photos than you need, but may help others considering a similar refrig mod.

Russ
Wow - nice job.  The pictures give a precise, planned out approach but I'm sure there were a few aggravating moments :)

Mile High said:
Wow - nice job.  The pictures give a precise, planned out approach but I'm sure there were a few aggravating moments :)

Yes to aggravating moments --- getting the new refrig in the opening was a challenge since the entire mod was done by just me and my DW and I'm not as young as I once was  :-[. But after many trips with the New Refrig and no longer having to be concerned with food staying cold (and Ice Cream Frozen) those installation aggravations are long forgotten.  :)

To follow up on all this, there are two steel plates, one on each side of the REAR of the fridge, secured to the wall. There are two steel plates, one on each side secured to the fridge. Each had opposing slots and channel nuts with 5/16" (iirc) bolts, 2 on each side that auto align plate to plate, and once secured will NOT move. You're gonna need a socket with various extensions to get the bolts loose.

Also, there is a strap on top of the fridge that's secured into the fridge foam. It's useless but it's there.

I'm looking for replacement door weatherstripping. If anyone is dumping their fridge and the seal is still good, please PM me

Back
Top Bottom