Photographing "lit" fountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

HDR means High Dynamic Range.  Basically a photographer captures 3+ images at different exposures and then combines them in post-production.  The photographer is better able to avoid clipping the brightest brights and the darkest darks thereby increasing the luminosity and tonal range.

I’ve only used HDR for commercial portraits and had the models stand perfectly still.  I started out by using a scene that had lots of color (a Tibetan shop in a global market.)  The colors really popped.)  I use Photomatix for my HDR post production work.  I think recent versions of Photoshop and Lightroom might have an HDR feature but my photography peers all recommended Photomatix so that’s what I use.

Motion might not be as big a deal with HDR landscape photography.  HDR can produce some stunning images however I think a little goes a long way.  If the range of exposures is too drastic the images can look surreal or cartoonish.  I guess it’s a matter of taste.  There are lots of examples of HDR on the internet.

Following is a link to a fairly decent HDR guide for beginners:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/what-is-hdr-beginners-guide-to-high-dynamic-range-photography/

My recommendations:
• Shoot Raw
• Use a Tripod
• Use auto-bracketing if your camera has that feature.  If not you can change the exposures manually.
• To begin I would try shooting a grouping of stationary, colorful objects.
• Check out Photomatix.  There might be a free trial.
• Don’t be intimidated.  HDR is not as hard as it sounds or looks.
• Have fun!  :)

No tripod, no timer, handheld, iso800, 1/5th of a second with VR.  Understand the rules and then go ahead and break them :)

I was able to handhold this at 1/5th of a second because
  - lens had vr
  - I fired off a continuous burst, and most of them were throwaways, but this one was ok
  - wide angle lens, which allows lower shutter speeds handheld

Otherwise I would have used a tripod or a rest with the self timer, and adjusted iso up and down as needed to get a shutter speed that worked with the water flow

Attachments

• Las_Vegas_2014_2015_Trip-8.jpg
    Las_Vegas_2014_2015_Trip-8.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 45
Didn't take photos, but we ate at the outdoor Chinese restaurant across from the Bellagio on the fourth of July one year; truly a bucket list event with the fountains synched to patriotic music. Recommended!

Ernie

I have noticed that just about every movie, tv show and documentary that features Las Vegas starts with some establishing shots (like we don't know what Las Vegas looks like) and it always includes shots of the Belagio Fountain. It is an awesome fountain show for sure. I have not seen the 4th of July show since I don't do Vegas in the summer time. :(

As I was driving around town tonight I passed a well lit fountain so I stopped by and took some shots. I tried my cell phone but that was hopeless, not enough control. I didn't use a tripod, I didn't shoot RAW, and I certainly didn't use no stinkin' HDR. I used my bridge camera. Set it on S (TV for Canon) to be able to set the shutter speed and let the camera set everything else. My first shot was at 1/500 and I liked that. Then I bracketed it with a shot at 1/250 but it was too blown out and the water was not frozen. Then I tried 1/1000 and it was too dark. I have posted the 1/500 shot. Pretty simple shot.

Attachments

• Fountain.jpg
    Fountain.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 44
MN Blue Skies said:
Seiler,  I know we butt heads regarding photography however I have to ask you REALLY?  What about composition?  Is that an image you are proud of and that you want to present as your best work?  I suspect you are capable of better.  Am I wrong?
No I am not proud of the composition. But what else can you do with an lit fountain? You put it in the middle. I could move it to one side or the other but I don't really think it would improve things. There is nothing else that can be done. Everything else is black on all sides of it. I realize you are not suppose to put things in the middle but I really can't think of any other composition. Why don't you go photograph a fountain and show me how it should be done? The purpose of the thread was about the settings for the camera for exposure, not about composition.

Here's a fountain at the Fountain Of Youth RV Park in Thermopolis, WY. They also have a giant hot springs pool.

Attachments

• Buffalo Roundup_2012_10_01_326_sm.JPG
    Buffalo Roundup_2012_10_01_326_sm.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 30
Not having a tripod isn't the problem here.  Shooting a point and shoot camera in auto mode is the problem.  With a good DSLR and lens, this could be shot without a tripod. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom