2013 primetime crusader 298 bhd electrical problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djexel241

Hoping someone can help. We first arrived and hooked up power. Noticed the gfci outlets were not working. Checked to see if the main tripped and it didn't so I checked to see if I could test it. It popped and would not reset thought it was bad and replaced it. That wasn't the issue because it still would not reset. Checked it and figured out it was not power3d. Checked all the fuses and breakers and they were fine. So I decided to do on without them working.
Later that night while taking a shower the lights and ac unit started surging. Few minutes later the ac shut off and lights dimmed really low. Once again checked all fuses etc nothing. Checked the battery and it was low. Didn't think it would be low considering it was plugged in the whole time. So I decided to charge the battery by starting my truck and plugging in the 5th wheel to my truck. As soon as I started the truck everything came on and worked except for the gfci. I thought that was strange because I thought being plugged in to the shore power wouldn't require the battery to work the fridge, ac etc. Worked great most of the day after letting the truck charge up the battery. However everything died again. Plugged back up to the truck and boom everything is working again. Not sure how the battery drained again being plugged up to shore power but it did. So everything worked for a while again (except the gfci) then after a few hours it died again and now it seems like it won't last nearly as long before dying out. Any help or suggestions please

Sounds like your Converter is not charging the Battery.  With your RV connected to Shore Power measure the voltage across your House Batteries, should be in excess of 13.1vdc.

If you have less than 13.1vdc your converter is not working.  Generally the converter is on a dedicated 120vac line but it could be powered thru your GFCI.  If you can, unplug your Converter and see if your GFCI will reset.

GFCI failing to reset is usually water in one of your external outlets.

weewun said:
Sounds like your Converter is not charging the Battery.  With your RV connected to Shore Power measure the voltage across your House Batteries, should be in excess of 13.1vdc.

If you have less than 13.1vdc your converter is not working.

If you have a battery disconnect switch, make sure it's on.

Unplug the converter? Do you mean unplug the shore power ? Also if I'm plugged in to shore power are you saying that I need the battery power and ac power to run the ac etc

Rene T said:
If you have a battery disconnect switch, make sure it's on.
problem is I can't find a battery  disconnect so I don't know if it has one

Your RV still uses a lot of 12v power when plugged to shore power. The difference is that a converter/charger produces it as well as charging the battery(s) for the next time you leave shore power. If your converter/charger has failed, or isn't receiving shore power, then you continue to run on battery 12v until is it exhausted.  Even the a/c's are affected - the thermostat requires 12v power.

Your converter/charger may be a separate unit plugged into a 120v wall outlet somewhere, or it may be part of the power panel unit. If you have 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuses on the same panel, it's an integrated unit and you can't just unplug the converter/charger.

Your trailer may not have a battery disconnect switch, so don't sweat it if you can't find one. It would be right by the entry door if there is one.

A GFCI won't reset if there is no 120v power to it, so your problem with that circuit is prior to the GFCI itself.  Start with the circuit breaker for that line and test for 120v there, then work your way toward that GFCI outlet.  Does your trailer have 50A shore power (4 prong plug on the cord)? If so, it is possible that one of the two "hot" wires in the cord/plug is broken and not providing power to some circuits.

So from what everyone  is suggesting or not lol is there is an issue with the converter changing the battery

Yes. Since you have no 12v power and the battery is running down, it would seems that both of these are true:
1. Your converter/charger is producing 12v for use while on shore power
2. Your converter/charger isn't charging the battery either.

On a 2013 Primetime if it has a battery disconnect it will be in the "universal docking station" UDC, in the upper left corner, I have a Tracer and mine does not have one but I think the fifthwheels have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom