Gateway laptop Restore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

HD failed on Laptop with  W8 , I replaced the HD and ordered W8 Restore disk from Gateway. Booted in UEFI mode with  system  disk 1, Got  error message "Must boot in Legacy bios . I changed bios  to Legacy ,rebooted in Legacy mode. It wants me to boot in UEFI. It keeps going around in circles. I can  install W7 with no problem. I have tried different HD. I don't really need the laptop, but wanted to install W10 on it. Thanks in advance

Install Windows 7 on it, then get the free upgrade to Windows 10.  Or just download the Windows 10 ISO file, burn it to a DVD and install it.

I tried the USB, but it ask for a license. W7 license would not work , and none came on the Laptop when it was purchased new from Best Buy.

eliallen said:
I tried the USB, but it ask for a license. W7 license would not work , and none came on the Laptop when it was purchased new from Best Buy.

That was trying to install Windows 10?  If so, then install 7 and get the free update since you have a valid Windows 7 license key.

I'll clone the W7 HD, then use the clone for the upgrade. Thanks for the info.

This morning I just comleted a similar task; I had a portable Acer bought in Florida, winter 2012; last december the HD quit on me so I bought from EBay a refurbished DELL with a WINDOWS 7 OS to keep on going with my personnal finances and all of my business files and to communicate with friends and family; so far so good for the Dell, I just had to buy a new battery pack.
Some weeks ago I saw some "solid state drive" on sale on Amazon... so I bought one of them and I've installed it in the Acer with the Windows 7 OS from the Dell.
What a fabulous buy I made, that Acer runs like a jet with tha SSD and the Windows 7 ! Anxious to try out the fee upgrade for Windows 10. ;)

Every thing is fine  after the upgrade. Great site for quick and free solutions to problems. TKS.

Back
Top Bottom