Srurgis, here they come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've noticed an unusual number of motorcycles on the road and in campgrounds the last few days, including ones on trailers and in toyhaulers. I had an incling this might be something to do with the big motorcycle rally in Sturgis. When I went in to register at the CG yesterday, sure enough, I see folks wearing their Sturgis shirts. Checked online, and confirmed the rally is Aug 3-9.

Lots of motorcyclists at the CG in Nebraska City, NE last night. Some interesting rigs, including a bike towing a small made-for-motorcycles tent trailer.

Hi Jim, it was a much smaller trailer and the tent parts opened at 90 degrees to the bike. Wish I'd taken a picture.

I learned a LONG time ago to avoid that part of the country within 2 weeks on either side of the Sturgis rally. NOT because the people are bad...but because there's just so many of them that campgrounds and motels are usually booked solid...and the rates often get jacked up during this time.

Besides...it's usually HOT during this period...and I'd rather visit when it's a bit cooler.

This is the 75th anniversary for the Sturgis Rally so it has been busy the week before and some folks will stay thru the week after also.  They are expecting 200K either side of 1M in attendance and that is a big record for the Black Hills.  The locals have learned to shop before and stay home as the roads are busy.  We have met so many fun folks that attend however from all over the U.S. and over seas.

As far as hot??? only the towns at the base of the Hills ie. Sturgis,Rapid, Spearfish etc.  Once you get up in the Hills it cools in the eve starting at 430pm usually.  The first of the week we got down to 33 where we are and it was COOL!!!!!  Also not many mosquitoes and if so pretty small.  Very low humidity which is nice!!  Oops do not want to oversell then will really get overcrowded---as we locals say piece of paradise.  Great place to summer!!!!!!  Loads of winter activities also!!!!!!!  IF you are on your way travel safe and have a great visit!!!!!

Sounds like a fun rally. I haven't owned or ridden a motorcycle for over 45 years. I occasionally get the itch, but my driver won't go near one.

Your driver sounds like a Wise One!!!!  Used to ask my patients hanging in triple tier traction "what are you going to do with that bike now???"  50% said sell and not ride again!!!  They estimate 10% who come out are first time riders---unfortunately in these hills and curves that means close to 100K this rally and it seems many are the ones involved in the accidents that cause injury and or death.  So slow down --be vigilant and take care if attending and but of course have a great time.  We in armor and on 4 wheels will be enjoying all the bikes and sights!!!!!!!

Tom,
I have been riding for 45 years although slowing up quite a bit now as the bones and DW can't travel as far as in the past. I would have liked to get to Sturgis but every time I mention it DW says no way Jose. I got back into the TT thing as spend most time enjoying the lifestyle and in a couple of years a MH and some PT full timing if that makes sense.

Several friends, including ones in their 70's have made the rally in the last few years.

Me and the DW have been riding for over 30 yrs also and still use our Harleys whenever we get the chance. Sturgis and the surrounding area is very beautiful but this time of year it is not much fun anymore. You are overcrowded everywhere, overcharged on everything and generally glad you did it only once. I would suggest a week or so after the rally is a great time to visit and don't forget Deadwood, a great place as well as Sturgis with some amazing history.

Back
Top Bottom