EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: $3 per night Resort Fee ??  (Read 5638 times)

UK-RV

• ---
$3 per night Resort Fee ??
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »

Hi

We have just booked an extra couple of nights at Encores Tropical Palms Resort in Kissimmee, FL

On reaching the final booking stage, they refer to a "Resort Fee" of $3 per night.

The website explains this as "Resort fee is for All services that are provided within the resort, such as the use and maintenance of the amenity areas."

As our original 14 night booking makes no mention of this Fee, it seems they are now finding extra ways to boost their revenue doesn't it.

And I thought the Nightly Fee allowed you to use the amenities within the Resort - silly me !!

Anyone else come across sneeky ways of upping charges like this?

Paul

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
Re: $3 per night Resort Fee ??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »
Paul

As wagonmasters we made reservations for 15 rigs in a campground in Apache Junction, AZ, just east of Mesa. we were quoted a price when we made the reservation, but the confirmation indicated that a $3/nite resort fee would be collected for each rig at check-in. An insidious way to raise the price without advertising it.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
Paul

As wagonmasters we made reservations for 15 rigs in a campground in Apache Junction, AZ, just east of Mesa. we were quoted a price when we made the reservation, but the confirmation indicated that a $3/nite resort fee would be collected for each rig at check-in. An insidious way to raise the price without advertising it.

It seems dumb to me. I think it just makes us mad and resentful. I know that Newmar for some reason decided to list the Spartan Chassis cost plus on next line a Spartan Chassis surcharge. It caused a lot of grief. If they had just added the two together a listed no one would have thought anything of the price. After all its the end purchase price not the components.
Leo

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
I'll make a point of not visiting these RV parks that resort to this sneaky practice.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:39 PM »
A "resort fee" is becoming VERY common in hotels, especially the larger resort chains. Many charge a $10 "resort fee" above the quoted/reserved room rate that covers free WiFi, bottled water, newspaper, etc. I'm sorry to hear that campgrounds are picking up on this underhanded, secret upcharge.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »
Paul

Please provide the name of the park so we don't recommend them or use them.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
I would be very inclined to cancel reservations at such a resort or, if it's "Surprise" when you get there, give them a bigger surprise,  A good view of my tail lights and as for the early cancellation fee.   Sorry folks, you lied on your price quote, sue me for it. (And loose I might add, they are required to make FULL disclosure of all charges and taxes)  If any documents were mailed (US MAIL) and they did not put that new fee "up front" then you complain to the postmaster (or rather postal inspectors) as well. 
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »
I wouldn't mind a two tier fee system, i.e. one charge for "overnight" and an add-on for use of the amenities (which we seldom use anyway).  But if I am not allowed to stay there without paying the "resort fee", that  seems like flat out lying about the daily rate. I guess I don't understand how that can be legal?  If they quote you a rate for an overnight stay, don't they have to honor it? ???

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »
If it's like hotels, the quoted room rate is, well, the room rate. They charge extra, ie the "resort fee" for the "amenities" like WiFi, exercise room, etc. It's the same as if a campground charged add-ons for the amenities. I refused to pay it at one hotel and they had no problem removing it. However, at most of the hotels where I have come across it, the $10 resort fee was about the same as they had previously charged for WiFi access.

Again, I don't like it that hotels do it and I'm sorry that campgrounds have jumped on the "resort fee" bandwagon.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:15:33 PM »
As a matter of practice, if I were to arrive at an overnight stop, and discover a "resort fee," I'd probably stay, anyway. I'd be too tired, to move for $3.00. If it is on the registration, when you sign it, you probably don't have  a legal objection to enforce.

I find these surprise costs very irritating and I would definitely help them "advertise" the sneaky business attitude. I would certainly give the name of the business and the irritating, underhanded charge, maximum advertising. Help them get the word out!

In Cheyenne, we phoned ahead to reserve at a KOA. We were tired, and the charge was not what we were quoted. The service was brusk, and that's the best I can say about it. In the morning, we overslept, showered, and it looked like we were going to push the check-out time. I asked for some leeway, and was told, that we would be charged for another day, if we overstayed. We left, quickly, on time with minutes to spare, and they were glad to see us go.

We will be saving them the trouble, in the future. It is not necessary that we continue to be a problem for them. That will go for any KOA, anywhere, with our best wishes. Oh, that and the wind were the only exception to a wonderful time in Wyoming! We'll be going back there. Hope they can do something about that wind!

They

Ray D.
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 08:23:07 PM »
...We have just booked an extra couple of nights at Encores Tropical Palms Resort in Kissimmee, FL
On reaching the final booking stage, they refer to a "Resort Fee" of $3 per night.
Anyone else come across sneeky ways of upping charges like this?

Please leave a review at rvparkreviews.com noting that.  It's a good way to get the word out.
Frank
Florida

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:08 PM »
In Cheyenne, we phoned ahead to reserve at a KOA. We were tired, and the charge was not what we were quoted. The service was brusk, and that's the best I can say about it. In the morning, we overslept, showered, and it looked like we were going to push the check-out time. I asked for some leeway, and was told, that we would be charged for another day, if we overstayed. We left, quickly, on time with minutes to spare, and they were glad to see us go.

We will be saving them the trouble, in the future. It is not necessary that we continue to be a problem for them. That will go for any KOA, anywhere, with our best wishes. Oh, that and the wind were the only exception to a wonderful time in Wyoming! We'll be going back there. Hope they can do something about that wind!

I was born and raised in Wyoming and never notice any wind ;D ;D

As far as staying in Cheyenne the ONLY rv park I would recommend is the Terry Bison Ranch.  Yes just like the name implys they do have bison and not just a few but a herd of them.  I tend to avoid KOA whenever possible since I don't appreciate their extra Kost On Anything attitude.

Next time your in Cheyenne do try the Terry Bison Ranch.  I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
I was born and raised in Wyoming and never notice any wind ;D ;D

Right and I was raised in Livingston and I don't notice wind either.  Pat tells me the wind is blowing and I suggest it is a nice breeze.  Somedaay I will get her to Livingston when a real wind is blowing.  VBG
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 09:12:44 PM »
Thanks. Next time we're in Cheyenne we'll try the Terry Bison Ranch. I'm sure we'll love it, and we do love Wyoming. If I didn't live in Idaho, I'd live in Wyoming, for sure.

Ray D
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:53:45 AM »
Ron

The park we are using for the caravan is Golden Sun RV Resort in Apache Junction. I guess putting the word "resort" in the name entitles them to the extra fee :-\

We also heartily endorse Terry Bison Ranch. When we stayed there, Marlene took a horseback ride covering 2 states in an hour.

I thought that KOA stood for Keep On Adding.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 08:30:30 AM »
Years ago and maybe still to this day, hotels in the Chicago area charged a room tax. This was over and above the daily rate, but was a true tax paid to the city, and not benefiting the hotel. Can't see paying an amenities charge for services not rendered, no matter what they call themselves.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
Ron

The park we are using for the caravan is Golden Sun RV Resort in Apache Junction. I guess putting the word "resort" in the name entitles them to the extra fee :-\

Thanks we will make sure we never stay there or recommend it to anybody.

We also heartily endorse Terry Bison Ranch. When we stayed there, Marlene took a horseback ride covering 2 states in an hour.

We have been there several times and always enjoyed it.  See attached photo of the camels and bison.

I thought that KOA stood for Keep On Adding.

That fits too.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 07:59:22 AM »

We checked into the Tropical Palms, only to find 95% of sites have no WiFi - despite being told when we reserved that my most sites were OK.

They suggested taking the laptop to the pool area - and paying $15 a week for access.

Ive little issue with paying a reasonable fee for access at my site, but think charging for access at the pool area is too much.

So, we called a couple of other CGs in the area, to see if they had any spaces over Christmas and New Year - yeah I know it was expecting a lot.  ;D

Anyway, due to a cancellation, we managed to get into the other Encore Resort at Sherwood Forest, 2 miles away.

We took our laptop and found excellent reception at our intended site and then found they had various special pricing offers available (even during the Holidays).

In the end, we are saving $220 for a 2 week stay ($23/night) compared to Tropical Palms ($39) - a bargain !!

WiFi is still $15/week and they also have that $3 Resort Fee, but we feel lucky to have got in at such short notice at this time of year.

Paul

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »
Paul, it's nice to hear something is working out well for you :)  Enjoy the holidays.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 08:36:11 AM »
This $3 Fee is entirely new to me.  I've never run across it, however I've done little RVing this year.  Not sure  I would pay if and would by pass the area if all CGs charged it.  I don't have to sponsor those areas  Too many great places in this country to see and stay without being gouged for crap like that and Wi Fi when it costs pitence for the Wifi   A Dollar a day would be more than enough to make quite a profit monthly.  Just the way I see it.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
The $3/night may be a bed tax imposed by the city and/or county, like the $.50/night charge that Pima county, AZ, has had for years.  By showing it as a separate item, the campground is calling attention to the fact that it's not they that's charging it, but the government.

Bed taxes have been quite common in the hotel/motel business for a long time.  Just another way to insure the visitors leave some money behind.
2007 GMC Canyon

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »
I doubt that Ned since the Resort charge is poping up in different states.  Looks more to me like something the RV Park owners association or such.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »
Possibly, but until we have all the facts, I won't jump to any conclusions.  It may be that the cities/counties are just waking up to the fact that they CAN apply their bed taxes to campgrounds.  Has anyone asked a campground that charges the fee where it originates?
2007 GMC Canyon

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 03:20:10 PM »
In the first post of this thread, it stated:  "Resort fee is for All services that are provided within the resort, such as the use and maintenance of the amenity areas."

That would seem to indicate that is imposed by the resort, not a state, county or city tax at least at that particular resort.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:45 PM »
Yep, it sure would.  Too bad :(
2007 GMC Canyon

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 06:17:43 PM »
The $3/night may be a bed tax imposed by the city and/or county, like the $.50/night charge that Pima county, AZ, has had for years.  By showing it as a separate item, the campground is calling attention to the fact that it's not they that's charging it, but the government.

Ned

When we received our confirmation for our caravan, the clerk apologized for the additional fee. She said the owner added the extra for the availability and use of the resort facilities. Nothing about taxes.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »
Ok, I guess they don't get off the hook on this one.  Something else to watch for in the future.
2007 GMC Canyon

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 10:54:32 AM »
I'm wondering if these parks have their fees for the year posted in travel guides and literature which can't be changed until the next printing, probably annually.  If they have to raise their fees, it's by a resort fee which can be varied.

They're probably just being sneaky.
Keith

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 12:42:40 PM »
Lowell,
Your re-quote of the original post got me to thinking (something new and strange to me ;D):
In the first post of this thread, it stated:  "Resort fee is for All services that are provided within the resort, such as the use and maintenance of the amenity areas."
Based on that wording, wouldn't you expect that wi-fi is part of the services/amenities and not an additional $15/wk?
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
It seems to me that if they are going to charge a resort fee in addition to the camping fee, it should cover each and every service offered by the park.  Otherwise, they should provide an ala carte menu which they publish so there are no surprises.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Hosted by Over The Network