Onan 5500 Generator Won't Turn Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

Please excuse me if this has been posted already (can't seem to find anything here on the subject) but I have an Onan 5500 genny that won't turn over. I can hear the fuel pump kicking in but no start no matter which switch I try it from. Has full tank gas and oil. And full voltage after being on battery charger and new batteries. What happened is that is started for about one minute then stopped. Then would turn over. Not sure on the code? Blinks three times? Also not sure last time it was serviced as it was a used RV when we bought it last January. Any suggestions Thanx!

Ken

the start switch is prime and stop in one direction and starter engage the other. So it does not even turn over (no starter turning or solenoid clicking?) or starter turns motor but does not fire?

if it's the first, check all battery to solenoid terminal connections, check solenoid, all connections in general.

for when it starts turning over check spark plugs and fuel to and at carburator. if it has been sitting for awhile there maybe build up in the carb

No.. doesn't turn over at all. All I hear is the fuel pump when I push the start button. Same sound when I push the prime button. Last time this happened was low on gas even though showed 1/3 tank but those can be off. Now I have a full tank. New and charged batteries.  Checked all electrical... good connections.  Could it be it needs oil changed? Or something like that? Oil is full, too.

oil level just needs to be full, low would not let it fire.

I would disconnect from battery few minutes to reset try again. if nothing, find starter solenoid and check with test light if it is getting the start signal or battery power to its main terminal.

Ok.. I will try that.

Also..does it have to be level when it starts? I thinks it's at about 5% down in front... up in back? Not level.

I know you said you checked all the connections but double check the ground on the generator.

No, the generator doesn't have to be level to operate.  Only the refrigerator needs to be level.

Low oil level (actually low oil pressure) will let the starter motor crank the generator and will even let the engine start.  But it will shut down as soon as you release the start button to protect the engine.

You said you just tried it again and still no start but above you said no crank, doesn't turn over at all so I'm confused.  Forget about oil or fuel levels, codes, etc. as the engine should still turn over even if it does not start. So, if you have no crank, first check battery voltage for at least 12.6v. Then check to see if you have battery voltage at the start solenoid when you push the button. If no voltage when pushing the button then you could have a bad control fuse. If you have voltage then manually jump the start solenoid. If the engine turns over the solenoid is bad. Let us know if the engine is cranking normally and what you find.

Does not crank. All I hear is the fuel pump. The lights come on the switch when I push the button but nada. I know voltage is good cuz battery tester says good even under load.  I'll try to jump the starter and see what I get

Ok, sounds like your batteries might be ok then. You really need a VOM though as that would tell you if you have battery voltage at the start solenoid when pushing the switch. (Walmart has them for about $15). If you don't have a VOM then jumping the solenoid would be the next choice I guess. The other troubleshooting doesn't really matter until you get the engine to crank over and then it either starts or it doesn't.

Wouldn't it still click like the solenoid was engaging? And I got code 3-2 blinking on the switch

There's enough voltage to run the slides easily and battery says 12.5 volts after that. Hmmmm

That doesn't really matter it's the voltage you get when you test the voltage the solenoid is getting when you push the start button on the generator. If you have 12v when doing that your good and chase something else, if you have a big drop at the solenoid start chasing a bad ground or connections on the positive wire.

Or bring the battery right to the generator and hook it up with with student cables direct and either confirm or find the problem. Does the engine crank? Or just click at the solenoid or neither?

Just went through something similar myself. If there is current going to the starter, but the starter will not engage, than I would suspect a bad starter. My oil, fuel, etc was fine. Purchased a starter for m Onan 7000 for under $40 and now it's running like a champ.

If there is no power going to the starter, then check the solenoid. All I could hear was the fuel pump coming on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom