July photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

Please note that the picture you labeled "Fighter plane" is actually a B-25 bomber, but one of those modified with a lot of guns in the nose instead of the bombardier's seat and glass all around, for a slightly different mission. There were several variations on that theme.

The painting in Clovis is pretty neat, as are the fireworks there. And I love the Lookout studio at the Grand Canyon. That rock squirrel is great. A good shot of the watchtower.

A bunch of good stuff, as usual Tom. But I think the Lookout studio is my favorite of the bunch.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Larry, the Lookout Studio is my favorite this month.  Hard to choose because the fireworks were spectacular as were several others.  Thanks for once again posting your monthly photos, Tom.

Thanks Larry. I should have known that was a bomber and not a fighter considering all the WWII documentaries I have watched. I have changed the caption. I agree that the Lookout Studio is my favorite this month. It is a pretty good shot considering it wasn't shot with a DSLR.

Yep, I think Lookout Studio is really neat.  Good fireworks too but think I'll go with the Lookout.  Great as usual!

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra. The really cool thing about Lookout Studios for me is that is where I spent the vast majority of my time when I was at the Grand Canyon waiting for the Condors to arrive. It sticks out quite far into the canyon and gives a nice east and west view of the canyon and approaching Condors.

The coolest feature of Lookout Studio cannot be seen in this photo. There are three levels to the patio on the right hand side of the studio. When you got down to the bottom level if you were to go all the way out to the furthest northern point and look over the block wall straight down you could see what we called "The Diving Board". It was a triangular piece of rock that stuck straight out from the wall under the studio about 25 feet.

Being perched on the very tip of the diving board was the premier piece of Condor real estate due to the fact it was the safest spot for a Condor to be. No predator could possibly sneak up on them there and it provided an ideal platform for a Condor to get airborne from. If you look at all my Condor photos in the Condor album you will see quite few shots were taken there like the one attached below. The end of the diving board is completely covered in white Condor poop. They cool themselves off by pooping on their feet. The swifts could be seen from time to time eating the Condor poop on the diving board.

I do have a side view of the diving board in my famous 13 Condors in one shot. It is on the right hand edge of the photo with two Condors sitting there. Lookout Studio is located about 50 feet above the top of the photo. I spent many long hours staring over the wall at the diving board.

Attachments

• Condor 4.jpg
    Condor 4.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 13 Wild Condors.jpg
    13 Wild Condors.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 19
That must be one of the condors' favorite cliffs.  It's so neat that they're making a good comeback.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
That must be one of the condors' favorite cliffs.  It's so neat that they're making a good comeback.

ArdraF
It used to be one of their favorite cliffs until 5 years ago when they patched the hole in the waterpipe. I used to see Condors there every day. Now I doubt I would see one there in a month. Yes, the comeback is wonderful. From 22 in 1983 to over 400 today. Exceptional considering that a pair of Condors can only raise one chick every two years.

What I like best about the Lookout Studio photo is that it could have easily been dreary with the big dark cloud overhead and the rain coming down in sheets in various places.  Instead, I felt a feeling of calmness from the warm lighting inside the cabin.  It seemed to say "Hey, don't mind the storms.  We're gonna be OK."  Needs to be on a book jacket cover.  :)

Thank you Margi. I keep thinking it would be a good black and white photo and I just tried it in b&w and it doesn't work. Probably for the reason you mention. I did however add it to My Portfolio since it is one of my favorite shots of mine.

Tom, these are terrific pictures, particularly the Condors and the Zion shots. i am planning a trip to Zion and the Grand Canyon (also Brice) and these got me excited. Also I have never seen a condor so these shots were interesting. I'll be watching for your next adventure.

Sandhill Guy said:
Tom, these are terrific pictures, particularly the Condors and the Zion shots. i am planning a trip to Zion and the Grand Canyon (also Brice) and these got me excited. Also I have never seen a condor so these shots were interesting. I'll be watching for your next adventure.
Thank you Doug. When are you planning on going to Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon? Do you like to hike? If so I can give you some tips. It is getting harder and harder to see Condors in the wild, which is probably a good thing. I have a lot more Condor shots here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108464110929132780547/Condors?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Great photos as always.  I love your Condor pictures.  My favorite this month is the Navajo Bridge.  Guess it is the engineer in me.  It drives my family nuts because I am constantly trying to explain how things work. 
Keep up the great work. 
PS. How are your cats doing?

boatbuilder said:
Great photos as always.  I love your Condor pictures.  My favorite this month is the Navajo Bridge.  Guess it is the engineer in me.  It drives my family nuts because I am constantly trying to explain how things work. 
Keep up the great work. 
PS. How are your cats doing?
Thank you Charlie. The bridge has always frustrated me because all my friends who work with the Condors say there are always Condors there and yet every time I stop at the bridge I would not see Condors. This time however they were there. I don't think I was looking in the right places before. It is a very complex structure and hard to see the birds with the naked eye.

The cats are all doing fine. I have having problems with fleas and I just got them new flea collars.

Tom, we are planning to go in September. I have been out there many years ago but my DW has not seen any of Utah. We figure on three weeks plus travel time out there. Just starting the planning process. It's a pretty long trip from North Carolina and will be our first trip out west in the RV.

Sandhill Guy said:
Tom, we are planning to go in September. I have been out there many years ago but my DW has not seen any of Utah. We figure on three weeks plus travel time out there. Just starting the planning process. It's a pretty long trip from North Carolina and will be our first trip out west in the RV.
Tell me about it. I just made the trip from Florida. You never realize just how big this country is until you spend 6 days driving 400 miles per day and you still don't go all the way across country. Weather should be great for you in September.

You sure know how to make us jealous that we missed Zion on our western trips.  Guess, we will have to keep it on our Bucket List

ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    You sure know how to make us jealous that we missed Zion on our western trips.  Guess, we will have to keep it on our Bucket List
Zion is absolutely paradise. You can point your camera in any direction and get a masterpiece. The beauty is beyond words. And if you are a hiker it has two of the very best hikes I have ever been on, and I have been on a lot of them. The Narrows and Angels Landing. YouTube them to get a taste.

Back
Top Bottom