Striaght axle to IFS Conversion ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1936fordturbo

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39V with a Freightliner XC-S chassis. My question, Is it possible to swap a IFS front suspension into my chassis by buying a used setup from another coach without to much modification? Has it been done?

Dave

First find an IFS with the same axle rating as your straight axle, then start fabricating. I think there is a weight limit at which IFS becomes impractical. JMHO

Bill

There may be a weight limit for an IFS, but it's well outside of what our coaches may need.  Mine is 14,600 and I know of another that is 16,600.

It's probably cheaper to swap coaches than tear out the entire front end and replace. Remember, it's the steering mechanism as well as the suspension.  All for very little gain, in my opinion. I'm not knocking IFS (afterall, I do have one), but don't expect any dramatic difference in ride or handling.

Per the Freightliner website, your 2006 Discovery has a 12,000 lb front axle, probably a Neway I-beam axle. Freightliner typically uses a ZF brand IFS, but I've never heard of one being installed in an XC-S chassis. Doesn't mean it can't be done, of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom