Rv park snobbery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MUUKOW

I have noticed lately that more and more RV parks are becoming picky about the age of the RV ! It seems to be that I choose to have an older RV that I am some kind of rolling white trash ! ::) I show up in a vintage car I'm always welcome! Show up to restaurant on a vintage bike"Please sir park in front!" Vintage RV " you can park behind the dumpster" . I have been asked to send a picture before I make a reservation! It really sucks that assumptions are made about us  because I enjoy vintage vehicles ! We have have no need of a 40ft bus for two people and a dog,oh and the dog thing? Who cares what kind kind of dog I have!? It has four legs and hair!  When traveling to a car or bike show the sometimes gets more attention! Unfortunately because of of snobbery allot of people won't get to experience or see the work our group puts into these old coaches ! I feel better now. Oooh the wife found a friendly place for our next adventure! ;D

Another one of my reasons I'm more of boondocker. Then it doesn't matter where I stay because I'm not in their RV park and they are not get my money.

MUUKOW said:
It really sucks that assumptions are made about us  because I enjoy vintage vehicles ! We have have no need of a 40ft bus for two people and a dog,oh and the dog thing? Who cares what kind kind of dog I have!?
It is not a question of snobbery. It is a question of paying their bills. In many states, especially California, all the laws about renting favor the renter and not the landlord. Many times an old RV pulls in, pays for one month, and then never pays again. It takes a good three to six months to get them evicted while they are staying for free. Then the scum moves to another park and does it all again. RV parks only get burned like this so many times before they start restricting what stays in their park. And just about every time this scam is pulled it is with a very old RV.

Don't get this forum started on the whole dog breed thing. It turns into a war. Remember, this is America, and the owners of an RV park can set any rules they want, within reason. If you have a breed of dog that has been banned it is because of the history of that breed in that park.

When you want to use an RV park you either play by their rules or you don't play at all. They don't owe you anything.

Don't be so prickly! As Seilerbird says, there is no snobbery involved. The park can't put up a sign that says "No stumblebums, deadbeats or white trash" (it's illegal), but they can reserve the right to reject older RVs. That gives them a chance to check it out and they can always make exceptions for nice folks like yourself.  They are just trying to maintain some reasonable standards for their park and get paid for its use, something I for one sympathize with.  I don't want that deadbeat in the next site over either!

We worked in campgrounds for 7 years and know first hand what campground owners have to deal with, people and dogs both. And we own an 11 year old RV ourselves. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to get caught in the filter designed to catch other things, but we also have to go through airport screening, present photo Ids to pay by check or credit card, and a bunch of other burdens designed to protect the world from those who would abuse the system for their own benefit.

And dogs, or rather, dog owners, is a whole 'nother story. I ain't going there!

In the park that I have lived in for the last 2 and a half years I have noticed that the RVers in the bigger newer rigs tend to follow the park rules a lot closer than those in old beat up RVs. I'm not saying everyone in old RVs don't follow the rules, just that they are more likely to break rules. I am moving from my current location due to several of these morons that are parked close to me. None of them are in a newer RV.

Like myself I've got a 15 year old RV and been asked several times what age and condition my RV is. I typically scratch those places off my list of staying spots. Mine is starting to show its age with sun faded stickers and such.

Too many irresponsible owners of old trashy RV's as well as dogs.. They give all those who are responsible, a bad rap.  We've camp hosted for last four summers.  We haven't turned anyone away, but can count on the biggest problems coming from the oldest RV's and owners of the biggest dogs. 

MTPockets said:
Too many irresponsible owners of old trashy RV's as well as dogs.. They give all those who are responsible, a bad rap.  We've camp hosted for last four summers.  We haven't turned anyone away, but can count on the biggest problems coming from the oldest RV's and owners of the biggest dogs.

I just about fit that description... ;)

Attachments

• diesel in jayco.jpg
    diesel in jayco.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 242
  • jayco parked.jpg
    jayco parked.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 263
Were not moving in to one,were just using it more to travel instead of car and hotel for different events. We usually camp way out so I don't worry about that ! I understand not wanting a blue tarp for a roof,a plywood door and a pair of insert dog of choice tied to the bumper! The rowdies I see are usually in the Cruise America rentals. I see allot of young families maybe giving up the tent and buying an older RV they can afford to get out there! When I call someone to make a reservation anymore if the first question they ask is what year .... I just hang up knowing if we do get in we'll be subjuct to the stink eye :-[ ! it does not ruin my travels I always have fun and enjoy meeting people from all over! Besides the same stuff comes out of all our black water tanks!

Just for argument sake.  Lets say I had a completely restored Shasta RV
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploaded_images/54-Shasta-exterior-15%27-700357.jpg

Just because I like old cars and old RV's is there a problem? Or is there?

Mopar1973Man said:
I just about fit that description... ;)

I may have come across too harsh or unclear... As Most are very good folks and we love dogs.. Big & small.. It's the few that create the stereotyping.

Mopar1973Man said:
Just for argument sake.  Lets say I had a completely restored Shasta RV
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploaded_images/54-Shasta-exterior-15%27-700357.jpg

Just because I like old cars and old RV's is there a problem? Or is there?
It is usually done on a case by case basis. There usually isn't a hard a fast rule. A good looking older RV like the Shasta would probably be accepted. It is the duct tape jockeys they want to keep out. The ten or fifteen year rule is in place simply to keep out the undesirables. You would not look undesirable in that RV.

The reaction to our 1993 Bounder is usually, "WOW thats a '93". We don't consider it old we consider it a well maintained vintage RV in which everything works as it should. Have yet to run into a problem at a campground have sent pics a couple times. We do get compliments from fellow campers, have even gotten "that looks just like my first RV" comment. Few more years and it will be an antique.

Bill

I'm practicing my reply for when I get caught telling a park our 95 is a 2010....WOW..you dont suppopse that salesman lied to us do you?? or He may look like a doberman but the rescue said he was a lab mix....

Mopar1973man...we have on of those....not the shasta, a lab mix like yours

<<< Quote from: MUUKOW on August 01, 2015, 09:11:31 PM >>>

I could not have said it better. Thanks.

catblaster said:
I'm practicing my reply for when I get caught telling a park our 95 is a 2010....WOW..you dont suppopse that salesman lied to us do you?? or He may look like a doberman but the rescue said he was a lab mix....

Mopar1973man...we have on of those....not the shasta, a lab mix like yours

He's actually a papered AKC Doberman Pincher... No mix in his blood line... But the biggest lover you ever seen.

As for the RV I've not be limited yet. I expect it to happen at some point. I'm not a big wax jockey. But I do attempt to keeping it clean and maintained. Like I said with the oxidizing gel coat and the fading stickers its starting to look its age. Kind of like me...  ::)

Maybe I stay in lower class campgrounds but I have never been asked the age of my coach.

I have however seen some people (word used loosely) in new big rigs that I did not like being parked next to. One in a newer Newmar, had a party and drunks and loud music went on until wee hours of the morning.

LOL. Obnoxious neighbors come in all ages (rig or human) and income strata. Of course, the definition of "obnoxious" can vary widely too.  E.G., If they throw a party and don't invite me, they are obnoxious!

We've not been asked the age of our rig either, and we have stayed in some pretty nice places. However, we worked in one campground that had that policy. The question was asked for every phone reservation, but if you were a drive-in they just glanced out the office window to give you a once-over. They were willing to gamble if the rig was clean and neat, so an "exception" was given without asking.   

I don't think the practice is very wide-spread.

Most of the places I been asked at seem to be more of long term parking. You can tell when you look at the lot that most RV have been parked for long time being that most of all in the lot are skirted and insulated water hoses.  ::) Even though most are nicer looking rigs I'm not impressed... I'm willing to deal with it for a night but I've never really stayed in a RV park more than 2 days tops. Still my favorite is Emmett, ID RV Park being that it's limited to 3 day stay and normally it near empty and $15 a night.  No one ask about my RV.

As SeilerBird and Gary have mentioned it is likely not "snobbery", but other compelling reasons behind the rule and owners of the park have the rights to make the rules for their park.  As such the owner of an older rig has the corresponding right to move on.  I mention this because some parks have this rule in place, but are flexible for older, but well cared for rigs.  Interestingly, I have only encountered a park with no 10 and older rigs once which they posted on their website, as my TT is well under 10 years we went ahead and made the reservation.  What was interesting is when we arrived we found a park that had been around since the 50's, was not well maintained and had rigs well over 10 years, some in poor shape.  The only reason we stayed was we were there for a wedding and the location was very convenient to the wedding venue.  I stopped in at the office and pointed out the discrepancy between their website and the actual park conditions including rigs allowed.  They have since removed the stipulation of no 10 and over rigs allowed from their website.

Back
Top Bottom