Rv park snobbery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frizlefrak said:
Again, I've met very classy people camping in tents driving 20 year old beat up Honda Civics, and I've met absolutely vile people in $250K motorhomes.  Guess which I'd rather be camped next to?

My guess is that you choosed the one with the home made tv antenna ! ;D

There are stereotypes for a reason, you also shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you need to read their posts first.

Bill

I wasn't "poor" growing up but we did not have a lot of extras, either. Our annual family vacation was a trip to the local state park for a week - in a tent. DW did fall into the "poor" category but one summer her father managed to get hold of an old truck camper and they went out west for a couple of weeks. When we met, we shared some of those stories from childhood, decided to try camping tenting ourselves, and found we still enjoyed it. 2 tents, a pop-up, and 2 TTs later, here we are. For the most part, we are not different people from those days - we just don't like sleeping on the ground any more!

Our first RV purchase ( a 16' single axle trailer) was the result of waking up after a torrential downpour and discovering were were sleeping in 6" of standing water.  I do not regret that decision.  ;)

Frizlefrak said:
Our first RV purchase ( a 16' single axle trailer) was the result of waking up after a torrential downpour and discovering were were sleeping in 6" of standing water.  I do not regret that decision.  ;)
I've had a similar experience.  ;D
Thanks in no small part to this site, I now have boondocker's welcome, all the California fairgrounds, and countless other places I would be welcome at with any RV. I really do want to thank you folks.

Bill N said:
Done any work in Missouri, specifically Christian County?  The SALES taxes in my local Walmart and all the stores surrounding it including Lowes, Dollar General and all in that development are 3/4 cent higher than those across the street because of two added taxes on sales, one of which I mentioned and the other I can't recall the name. 

Also saw the same thing on another development close to our home that was recently built and has higher sales taxes for the same reason.  I asked the owners of one shop and they told me that it was to help pay for the entire development including utilities and infrastructure.  These are special taxes allowed by state law where the community councils, etc., approve them.  This is the fastest growing county in Missouri and, believe me, these folks know how to levy a sales tax and they are not too shabby at putting on property taxes too.  Walmart, at one point, had so many complaints about the taxes that they posted them at each checkout and now I see them on the receipts.  Over time, folks just quit complaining and  paid the darn things.

I am very familiar with what you are talking about.  In new business development or renovation, Mo. State Statute allows the formation of a Transportation District.  If a municipality or local government has a transportation tax in place, then the business entities in the designated area collect the sales tax as usual but the tax is used for development in that area.  In addition, Missouri allows for a TIF (tax-increment-financing) whereas certain taxes are waived so that business infrastructure is viable.  I could go into much more detail but it would make for some pretty boring reading.

At the park i manage - we don't have any RV age restrictions, though we have thought about it.  A few of the "Old beaters" that have come in have barely been able to make it back up the hill out of the park.  Not because the hill is too steep, but because the RV has been so poorly taken care of that they have literally rolled back down the hill when the engine has died half way up.

And I see trouble makers in both the old and the newest "McMansion"RV's.

I sort of have to chuckle at this thread.  When we were avid tenters it was easy to look down on RVers as real camping could only be done close to mother earth.  Times change and opinions change like underwear.  Got an RV, realized the quality people in them and the benefits of sleeping in a warm bed with TV and running water at a finger tip reach.  We have fulltimed in a Beaver, owned a toyhauler and had an Excel all of which were fine rigs capable of being accepted into the snob affected RV Parks.  I think it is human nature to dislike having someone look at you, size you up and give you a thumbs up or down.  Having gone back to a stick and brick, retired and living on a budget we decided to get another RV, an old guy, 1994 Rexhall RexAir.  It was rough around the edges but we brought it back to good standing with the world and most of all, us.  Our dogs, yes you guessed it, a Doberman and a Shepadore, are our family.  Rescue dogs with big hearts and gentle souls.  The only thing worthy of note is we were in a campground in CO, in the dog park, and there were 10 or so dogs just romping and having fun with each other.  A lady arrived with her small dog.  It just did not want to play with the others despite having dogs its size to play with.  It did go for my Shepadore's neck and could be seen hanging there by its bared teeth as my dog looked at me with eyes that were very confused and hurt.  I think there are snobs out there, have a few in our stick and brick neighborhood and yes they will let you know how good they are in their own egocentric way.  As a retired man I know life is too short to dwell on shallow silliness, lessons of life!  Enjoy your travels, mingle with fellow RVers and leave the garbage we are escaping behind.  Remember when God created us in his image he took a lunch break and left some brainless molds to complete.  They wandered off and mankind has been blessed since.

Good story Phil. Just curious if/how you separated your Shepadore and the small dog.

Tom said:
Good story Phil. Just curious if/how you separated your Shepadore and the small dog.

Tom, it was with grace and assertion that Grey Lady did the shimmy, shimmy, coco puff, dislodging the offending pooch and returning to the ten other highly energized faux packers.

My German Shepherd seems to collect small dogs hanging off her neck.  She shakes them off and puts a paw on them.  The owners of the small dogs usually are screaming that my dog is attacking there dogs, while she is patiently and quietly waiting for them to fall off.  She is nine years old, and has never been in a dog fight.  She doesn't hide from one, but here growl and size is enough to back them down.

Back
Top Bottom