Rv park snobbery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
I have found more RV parks in California than anywhere else with the 10 and under rule.

I think they are getting a little picky when an 11 year old diesel  (or gas) Class A can run $40-60K and a lot of them are paid for whereas the 1 yr old 42 ft Class A is still on the 20 year plan.

Bill N said:
I think they are getting a little picky when an 11 year old diesel  (or gas) Class A can run $40-60K and a lot of them are paid for whereas the 1 yr old 42 ft Class A is still on the 20 year plan.
Once again it is usually not the actual age of the RV it is the condition they are in.

Tinmania said:
Surely that contraption doesn't actually get on the road. Yes??

Mike

Allowed to stay in the park for 14 days max.  So he must take it at least a short distance.  Not sure where the closest park access road is from the campground ..... hope it is close. ;D

Bill N said:

Agreed. 

But again....it's simply a filtering criteria that they can use to (somewhat) legally turn people away that they find less than desirable while mitigating the chance of getting sued for ______.  I'll take a decent hard working man and his family in a faded, dented 30 year old pop up pulled by a beat up 1979 Silverado camped next to me before some crotchety old guy in a $250K motorhome that lets his yappy dog crap in my campsite. 

Frizlefrak said:
I'll take a decent hard working man and his family in a faded, dented 30 year old pop up pulled by a beat up 1979 Silverado camped next to me before some crotchety old guy in a $250K motorhome that lets his yappy dog crap in my campsite.

There it is in a nutshell!

Bill

This snobbery thing is, for the most part, much ado about nothing.  If you drive a well maintained rig and present yourself to park management as a responsible individual, you will be allowed into most places. 

We camp hosted at a popular resort on a river in Oregon for a time.  The owners put that rule in place after they had been burned (badly) by renters who not only did not pay their rent for months, they abandoned their RV and left the park owners to deal with it.  It's harder, and takes longer, to evict ne'er-do-wells that you might imagine.  To emphasize the point once again ... snobbery has very little to do with this problem.

Tom and Margi said:
  It's harder, and takes longer, to evict ne'er-do-wells that you might imagine. 

In Ca it can take up to 6 months after the scab stops paying. And during that time it is illegal for you to turn the utilities off on them. So you get screwed twice.

Len and Jo said:
Allowed to stay in the park for 14 days max.  So he must take it at least a short distance.  Not sure where the closest park access road is from the campground ..... hope it is close. ;D
Good lord! It looks like, in the pic of the interior with the driver's door open, that there is an actual 110v window air conditioner installed through the passenger door. Presumably this is run, while driving, by the open frame generator mounted in front of the front grill. Did you happen to see the passenger side to see how far it sticks out?

That thing is a reality show waiting to be made! :)

Mike

SargeW said:
In Ca it can take up to 6 months after the scab stops paying. And during that time it is illegal for you to turn the utilities off on them. So you get screwed twice.

Ouch.  Reason #781 I will never live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia....and I was born there.

I know some park owners out in these parts that would make a phone call to a handful of their relatives if they want you gone.  By day two, you'll leave.....trust me.  Don't bother calling the local law enforcement when you're shown the door either.....he's one of the relatives. 

8Muddypaws said:
I'm thinking that $6,000 figure is a little old.  More like 10K these days.

I used to ride a couple thousand miles a year on a steel framed Diamonback.  The whole point of riding was to get a good workout.  I would do a 10 mile loop at noon and still have time to shower and eat lunch.

I did a lot of organized century rides but my favorite was the tour of Napa Valley where the loud mouthed owner of a Litespeed titanium/carbon fiber monstrosity did nothing but brag about how fast his bike was.  He walked it up even the easy hills.  He ended up back in the pack with the daddies who were towing toddlers in trailers.  Maybe he stopped at Starbucks?

There is a group of spandex clad doctors that bought trucks and colour coordinated them to match their bikes...

Frizlefrak said:
I know some park owners out in these parts that would make a phone call to a handful of their relatives if they want you gone.  By day two, you'll leave.....trust me.  Don't bother calling the local law enforcement when you're shown the door either.....he's one of the relatives.

The County Judge shows up at family gatherings too.  ;)

Gary RV Roamer said:
LOL. Obnoxious neighbors come in all ages (rig or human) and income strata.

We've not been asked the age of our rig either, and we have stayed in some pretty nice places. However, we worked in one campground that had that policy. The question was asked for every phone reservation, but if you were a drive-in they just glanced out the office window to give you a once-over. They were willing to gamble if the rig was clean and neat, so an "exception" was given without asking.   
The face to face factor is the best method of determining who to let in, or remove from the venue.  To ask the age of a vehicle, or the "breed" of dog, isn't a very effective method of determining who will cause a problem, or be a good fit for the property.
If you are a park owner, or an employee who is tasked with renting or maintaining good order in a facility, you need to be an excellent judge of character.  You need to be able to do a threat assessment of the potential renters, and classify them as HIGH THREAT.....MEDIUM THREAT.....or LOW THREAT, before determining whether to rent to someone.  It is a more effective method, not to say you can't be duped by someone who appears to be someone or something they're not, but if you're a good judge of character, you will prevail more often than not.
It's a method used by Law Enforcement and TSA/Airport Security everywhere, when determining how to deal with the individuals standing in front of you.  You don't have to "racial profile", just conduct a quick assessment, and let your good judgement prevail.

SeilerBird said:
You people are just not understanding the rule. It is more about how the RV looks rather than the exact age. A 30 year old Prevost in primo condition has no problem. A ten year old beat to hell Holiday Rambler will be turned down.  The ten year rule is just in place in case someone pulls in in a junker. If you look like you can afford it they won't turn you down. If you have an older RV in good shape just don't call for reservations. Just show up. They won't turn you down.
Does that include an RV that has to be towed 200 yds. from one camp site to another, because it doesn't run?
That quote is from your post on Shade Tree!
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,87188.0.html

It would sound discriminatory and unfair to me, if they tossed you out, and labeled you as "White Trash", because your Class A is over 10 years old, and doesn't run!

Just sayin'

rebelsun said:
Does that include an RV that has to be towed 200 yds. from one camp site to another, because it doesn't run?
That quote is from your post on Shade Tree!
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,87188.0.html

It would sound discriminatory and unfair to me, if they tossed you out, and labeled you as "White Trash", because your Class A is over 10 years old, and doesn't run!

Just sayin'
This RV park has absolutely no rules about age, appearance or running condition of the occupants of this park. If they did I would never have gotten in. In fact I was driven to this park by Catblaster and I rented the spot before they even saw my RV. It still remains one of the better looking rigs here.

[quote author=RodgerS .link=topic=86536.msg791082#msg791082 date=1441666254]
By the way SeilerBird, I can't tell from the photo but maybe you have one of the better looking hats as well?
[/quote]
It is the best looking hat that I have. I got it at the gift shop for the USS Alabama in Mobile. Here I am photographed with a TV star Tammie DeRamus

Attachments

• Tom 2015-12.jpg
    Tom 2015-12.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 90
MUUKOW said:
I have noticed lately that more and more RV parks are becoming picky about the age of the RV ! It seems to be that I choose to have an older RV that I am some kind of rolling white trash ! ::) I show up in a vintage car I'm always welcome! Show up to restaurant on a vintage bike"Please sir park in front!" Vintage RV " you can park behind the dumpster" . I have been asked to send a picture before I make a reservation! It really sucks that assumptions are made about us  because I enjoy vintage vehicles ! We have have no need of a 40ft bus for two people and a dog,oh and the dog thing? Who cares what kind kind of dog I have!? It has four legs and hair!  When traveling to a car or bike show the sometimes gets more attention! Unfortunately because of of snobbery allot of people won't get to experience or see the work our group puts into these old coaches ! I feel better now. Oooh the wife found a friendly place for our next adventure! ;D

I have noticed that with some people. image is everything and substance is nothing.

MUUKOW said:
Were not moving in to one,were just using it more to travel instead of car and hotel for different events. We usually camp way out so I don't worry about that ! I understand not wanting a blue tarp for a roof,a plywood door and a pair of insert dog of choice tied to the bumper! The rowdies I see are usually in the Cruise America rentals. I see allot of young families maybe giving up the tent and buying an older RV they can afford to get out there! When I call someone to make a reservation anymore if the first question they ask is what year .... I just hang up knowing if we do get in we'll be subjuct to the stink eye :-[ ! it does not ruin my travels I always have fun and enjoy meeting people from all over! Besides the same stuff comes out of all our black water tanks!

We need to start a listing of what RV Parks don't want money from older RV owners so we know to avoid them. RV park owners may make the rules, but it's the RV owners who have the power of the purse.

After reading through all the posts in the thread, it appears that money is the underlying motive of the park owners (rental space).
Let's try to balance out money and knowledge with this.
http://freecampgrounds.com/Index.aspx
http://www.rv-camping.org/freervcamping/
http://freecampsites.net/
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/12/rv_parking-2.php
http://www.technomadia.com/2010/10/how-to-find-rv-parks-campgrounds-and-free-boondocking-updated/

KD7ONE said:
Another idea is to park in a hotel/motel parking lot. The staff makes the assumption that the people who own the vehicles are inside the building, not inside the vehicles. Just don't do anything that would cause them to knock on your door.

The problem with this is, they have you write down your license when you register in almost all motels. That and the fact if RV's did this wide scale, it would make us look bad. Also security is often present at motels/hotels. Best!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom