Best dog breeds for fulltiming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are your favorite breeds that you've owned or seen for living in an RV and on the road? *Note, the dog would be well exercised and stimulated* We prefer larger breeds and have been considering a lab, has anyone had experience one way or another with labs that they can provide feedback on?
Pics would be loved of course ;)

For us, D.O.G. is spelled L.A.B.  That said, we had our Yellow Lab for 7 years on rural property before we went full time on the road.  Labs stay a puppy for about 3 years or so and require a lot of exercise in their early years, swimming, hiking, just flat out running around, etc.  But, you can never ask for more intelligence, adaptability or loyalty that the Lab breed.  Yap Yap dogs are probably more convenient, but they just don't do it for us.

My nephew got a labordoodle (sp) it is 8 months old and goes the whole day in a crate already. It is also one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met, even more than mine.

I had the same question five years ago and I ended up with three cats. They are much cheaper, much easier to maintain and I never have to walk them in the rain, which is very frequent down here in Florida. And if anyone breaks into my motorhome they will purr them to death. ;D

We have two labs: One is 110 pounds and the other is about 70 pounds. They love to travel and go everywhere with us. We make sure we walk and exercise them at least twice a day. We always try to stay at parks with at least a dog run or a large dog area. One of our Labs is ball crazy. Many of the RV parks we stay at have swim holes/beaches for the dogs. They love everyone and we don't have to worry about them barking when we leave them.

Labs like any working breed are happiest when they have something to do and are tired.
Our rescue Flat Coat Retriever loves to run.  I can hitch him to my bike and he will pull me at around 20MPH out to his favorite swimming hole for a nice long swim.  He is also happy just to be with us sleeping.  There is no perfect breed, just content dogs and happy owners.

I'm in the camp of people who prefer mutts over breeds. With the exception of a blue heeler, Ive seen many purebreds who have had some major issues.

I do think any dog will do well in an RV as long as it is exercised, socialized and kept under control by the owner. It needs to be trained not to bark at everyone walking near your rig, you also need to be aware of how it behaves when you are gone. If your neighbors say the dog barked the entire time you were gone, believe them.

If you're pretty active and involved with your pets, get an active dog like a lab. If you don't want to run your dog a couple times a day or for very far, get a lower energy dog. I think greyhounds would make great RV dogs. They run like heck for about 10 minutes a day, then sleep the rest of the time. :D

We have a miniature schnauzer and he's the best traveling dog we've ever had. He love's people and never barks at people or other dogs. He only barks a little when someone knocks on the door of the rig.  Break them in when they're young and they will make a great traveling pet. And they don't shed which is a plus.

We do rescue Beagles...they are a pack dog..and force you to walk...not territorial which is good in a  campground...and not barkers...especially with the sounds of a campground...

Labrador retriever. Easy-going, friendly, has no problem settling into small spaces. Downside, high-maintenance, love love walks and swimmies. Large bladders ?

I always had a big dog as a member of our family; since we bought our first RV in 2001, we just forgot about having a dog for its confort and for our more free and enjoyable travelling time in our RV.
Today, a cat is a member of our family and our cat likes to travel without giving us any inconvenience.

I love cats and all, but I'm pretty set on a dog as I'm getting pretty desperate in my need for a service dog. Can't keep putting it off more than we already have. Labs are definitely sounding pretty perfect to me, I just need to find a few reputable breeders to contact and keep checking the shelters (have been for months btw, which is why I'm looking toward reputable breeders now. Our shelters rarely have large breeds and those that do haven't passed the aptitude tests needed.)
Anyone know of one in Oregon? :) and yes, before I hear the shelter talk, I have ALWAYS adopted from shelters, I know the stats and everything, but I also am a firm believer in the proper way to breed a dog to withhold the breed's integrity.

Sorry for the rant ;)

We adopted Max at about 4 months old from Multnomah county animal control 4 years ago.  He spends every waking hour trying to please us.  He is a very quick learner and other than some basic reeducation the first week with us has never caused one minute of grief.  BTW we believe he is actually a Flat Coat Retriever not a Lab.  But whos counting?

One thing to be aware of when evaluating Labs for your situation.  Some are bred for hunting and retrieving, some are bred for service.  Two different personality types, if you will.  The service dogs are more tuned to your needs.  The hunting dogs are quick to retrieve whatever you're hunting and are more spirited and energetic.  That said:  Our Dusty (service breeding) decided at six months that she was definitely a retriever, picked up a toad from the garden, and gently laid it down beside Tom's recliner.  She beamed the proudest smile and was so proud of herself.  :-*

No labs are bred for service work ;) it's working lines and show/conformation lines. But yes, I'm aware there's two specific lines. While show tend to be more docile and family oriented, there are many traits in working lines that lean more toward what I want/need, as I might need to do some scent work training for a task, as well as a few other tasks that would better suit the skills of a working line.

My biggest problem with Labs is they shed a LOT. I don't care how much you brush them or how often, they can leave behind an abundance of hair.

The best dog breeds for fulltiming?  The one you have.  We have two rescued Yorkies.  That's the best for us!

get a Pooshone they can drive too!

Attachments

• drive2.jpg
    drive2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
Our yellow lab Gordon is a rescue. Got him at the Las Vegas Humane Society and he is wonderful. I've been training him for the last year as my service dog and he does fantastic. He enjoys both his moveable home and his S&Bs. As for shedding, that's a small price to pay for their love and loyalty. The only downside to Labradors is that they don't live to be 30.

Violetdelusions said:
No labs are bred for service work ;) it's working lines and show/conformation lines. But yes, I'm aware there's two specific lines. While show tend to be more docile and family oriented, there are many traits in working lines that lean more toward what I want/need, as I might need to do some scent work training for a task, as well as a few other tasks that would better suit the skills of a working line.

Back
Top Bottom