Best dog breeds for fulltiming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just became a full - timer with my two retired greyhounds. They are also certified therapy dogs and excellent emotional support dogs. Once they retire, they become known as the world's fastest couch potatoes. It's a reputation they have "worked" hard to earn. They are "velcro" dogs that love nothing more than to be where their person is.

My two are now getting older so I have a ramp they climb to get into the RV.

Believe it or not, greys don't require a lot of activity. They actually make great apartment, and now RV, dogs. As long as they get out to do their business,  get some socialization, they do well.

We really enjoy "The Girls", our 2 Shih Tzu furkids.  They have become excellent travelers and campers.

Attachments

• 150504_006.jpg
    150504_006.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 20
Being a camp host I see two problems with ankle biters.  Owners tend to think leash laws dont apply to them and they bark a lot more than larger breeds of dogs.  While a larger dog may require more effort per day, the rewards can be a warm bed companion on cold nights, an intimidation factor just having a large dog, and someone who will always be glad to see you.  No matter how bad a day your having.

We have a poodle crossed with a garbage disposal.  After a good walk in the morning, he is ready for a day long nap until his walk in the evening. I do not see walking him as an inconvenience. I need to get out and move also. He loves people and attracts a lot of attention by his body language. When we are traveling, he has a bed built across the seats in our super cab. We call him Ryder, because that is what he does best--he rides.

I have been told he is a Parti Poodle, and he does resemble the pictures I have seen online. One thing I dislike about him is his lack of loyalty. He loves everyone and I am stuck buying his food. 

Violetdelusions, if you are in need of a service dog, perhaps you should contact Canine Assistants.  They provide service dogs for people who need physical or mobility assistance.  They generally use Golden Labs as their service dogs.

We have a German Shepherd Dog as our traveling companion.  Very tolerant of other dogs, even ankle biters who latch onto her.  Great when we are camping off the beaten path as a watchdog.  Loves people and dog parks.

Stuffed toy...no mess or clean up.  8)

Seriously, a Boxer is my next dog, RV or not.

We had for 12 years a very large gentle German Shepherd, the breed is intelligent, learns quickly is very tolerant of small dogs, and is a great for warding off trouble just by being there. We took our dog to Alaska, Mexico across Canada, down the eastern seaboard to Texas and then across to California and back to Canada. They are very easy going and have tremendous control of their bodily functions, when we first got our dog we both worked so 10 hours a day so he was home alone, after we retired he often had no problem going 12 hours without a problem. We will wait awhile, but we will get another German Shepherd.

mamestra, your description of GSDs is right on.  Ours is 9and 1/2 years, and seems to be going strong.  The length of time she can hold her bodily functions is amazing.  Have had GSDs for 41 years, and will always have one.

German shepherds are the best  :) and throw in a Russell terrier mix for fun !

elliott-maine said:
We have a German Shepherd Dog as our traveling companion.  Very tolerant of other dogs, even ankle biters who latch onto her.  Great when we are camping off the beaten path as a watchdog.  Loves people and dog parks.
I wouldn't go anywhere my GSD is not welcome, where i go , he goes and if he isn't welcome,, then i don't want to be there !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom