couple questions about the roof.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wegocampin

So, I finally got a ladder to get up and take a good look at the roof. Other than being dirty, it looks to be in pretty decent shape. My plan of action up there; I want to put this around all the vents and the ac;
http://www.homedepot.com/p/USEAL-USA-Band-6-in-Aluminum-Foil-Self-Adhesive-Repair-Tape-8872AF6/202086180?MERCH=RV-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-203057405-_-202086180-_-N

and then use this product to seal everything;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-587-4-75-Gal-White-Roof-Coating-HE587871/202091022

I also want to cut off the silver vent base for the fridge, since we will be installing a residential unit anyhow, and it's missing the cover. I'm going to put a piece of polycarbonate there and seal it all with the above tape before sealing.

my question is, the top is not "hard." I can feel the joints, but the top feels like it's a flimsy type of metal. This tells me I shouldn't be walking on it. lol How do I get to the vents and ac unit?

If the top isn't solid, use a ladder as much as you can.  If you have to stand on it, use a sheet of plywood to spread your weight. 

If it's really flimsy, you may have bigger problems than which products you should seal it with.

I'd find out exactly what the roof is made of before choosing a sealant. 

Not a smart idea if your roof is EPDM or TPO,commonly referred to as rubber.  The glues used in that stuff could adversely effect the rubber material and actually make things much much worse.  If you want to tape seams, get eternabond and follow that with Dicor Lap Seal.  Which BTW are the correct products for rubber roofs.

On that vintage trailer, it may well be metal, either aluminum or galvanized. I had an '88 like that (Fleetwood Yukon).  They just spread it over stringers (not big enough to be called rafters!) and seal the joints. If so, be extremely careful of stepping between the stringers. Use pieces of plywood across adjacent stringers when you must get up there, but stay on a ladder as much as practical.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is Gary. It looks as though they have sealed it in the past, so I will be cleaning and just resealing. It actually looks to be in really good shape fr it's age! And good idea about the plywood!  ;)

Consider coating the entire roof with an elastomeric roof coat of some kind.  The metal is vulnerable to pin-hole leaks as corrosion advances over the years, and the joints separate from road vibration and such. A seal coat isn't difficult and can save headaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom