Dometic RM 1350 cooling problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chez1947

Our refrigerator started having cooling problems with temp going into the high 40's.....we are currently on our second new thermistor.....freezer seems to be working but refrig not cooling....now at 50 this AM......service tech thinks it has to do with the cooling unit.......unit is a 2013 and my question is when a cooling unit goes bad does the freezer still work?  When the 2nd thermistor was installed the temp was 60....now down to 50, wouldn't that indicate that something is working correctly??  We are at our wits end!!

The freezer gets first priority on cooling, so when the cooling unit begins to lose capacity, the fridge gets warm first and the freezer last. So, it appears your cooling unit is working, but not well enough to chill both sections. That's typical of a cooling unit that has developed a leak and is losing performance. However, it can also happen if something blocks the air flow over the backside (cooling unit side) of the fridge, e.g. a bird or animal nest or a clump of wires that are getting in the way.

Has the tech contacted Dometic? A 2013 may have some of the original fridge warranty left (3 years). It doesn't sound as though he knows much about how these fridges actually work (not unusual for RV techs - they just swap them out), so isn't really doing diagnosis.

You can download an RM1350 service manual here and become an expert!
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM1350.pdf

Do you have a fan in the back to get rid of excess heat in warm weather? If you do, make sure it's working correctly and blowing the right direction. I found mine was blowing down when I started having problems in warm weather. I also was camping in freezing weather and I think with it blowing down, it helped in that colder weather. No adding light bulbs, heat strips, etc. If you don't have a fan, consider adding one(or two).

This link:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Tech_Information-W508.aspx
will give you all the info you need to determine if the cooling unit is shot.

Good Luck!
Wil

What was your resolution on you refridgerator?  I'm having the same problem

Not sure if you'll get a response from the OP. This is a old thread. This is a perfect example why we ask the posters to please reply with the outcome of a problem they've developed and the cure.

The OP of this thread has never posted again, but is still logging into the site. Maybe send a PM to get an update?

Back
Top Bottom