What did we do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

Well we did it!  We sold the house so we can go full time.  We are now selling off most everything we have accumulated in our 40 plus years together.  We decided that storing things was not worth it for us, and the buyers wanted a lot of our furniture.  After the children took what they wanted, DW boxed up keepsakes to store with the children (payback for keeping their stuff), we started gathering up a massive amount of things a had a sale.  Items not sold are heading to an auction house.

I am surprised how easy it has been for us to part with the "things".  Luckily neither of us had emotional ties to them.  The family and friends have been very supportive of our decision and for many a little envious. I still need to sell off a car, but have someone willing to do it for me.

So here we go in about 10 days into an adventure I never thought about until a couple of years ago.  After a serious illness last year our entire outlook on life has changed.  When faced with the fact that "someday" was questionable, when things turned around so did we. 

So with the good Lords blessing we will be roaming the continent, exploring, relaxing and enjoying life.  We also will be continuing with HFH builds and other ways to give back for being so blessed.

We hope to meet you along the way.

I went through that twelve years ago and I never looked back. I have not missed anything I got rid of. It is actually a very good chance to start over and do it right the first time. Full timing is awesome.

Wow, what a beginning to a great adventure!  You should blog or journal some of your experiences.  Even if you don't put it online and try to get a bunch of followers (as is the trend these days), it'll be fun to look back later and your kids/grandkids will enjoy reading about those memories someday.

It really is a great life!  We have made many new friends along our way and hold on to most of the old ones. Some who don't understand why we do what we do, and some couples where one says they would while the other says no; so, they stay where they are.  Nearly four years now full time and when we added Alaska in 2011, we've travelled during our life to 49 States, with a good dent in doing most of them again and again during the last four years, mostly West of the Mississippi.  No plans to stop until we can't move anymore... Best wishes on your new life.

Dave and Sue - Wishing you the best during this next phase of your life.  Enjoy every mile and every minute!

ArdraF

Dave and Sue congrats on full timing ,  It's a grand adventure my DW and I are also just starting out as fulltimers (6weeks in). We are from Northeast Ohio.  Ny. Pa.  Ky. Now in Nashville headed to Memphis enjoying every day wish we had did it sooner.    Enjoy see you down the road.

Bill

Thanks for the encouragement.  If we could only get going.  Final details are still holding us up. 

SeilerBird said:
I went through that twelve years ago and I never looked back. I have not missed anything I got rid of. It is actually a very good chance to start over and do it right the first time. Full timing is awesome.
we are doing the same things scary  and exciting 

Good for you!

My wife and I have considered it for several years. Our little dogs will adapt with little to no problem...but my 19 year old cat...not so much. We have accepted that we're "grounded" until after she passes. IMO, that gives us lots of time to plan, to sort out what we want to keep and store, what we can get rid of without regrets, and, of course, what we have to take with us. (hopefully that list is tiny...but I DO NOT WANT to get rid of my 65" Panasonic Plasma...even though I KNOW I will...that sunny beach is HEAVY as well as big)

Plasma TVs also create a lot of heat in the small space of a motorhome so you'll be glad later on that you won't have it.  ;)  Not to mention that they sometimes have problems at higher elevations.

ArdraF

Things take time.  It has taken longer than we thought to clear out all of the "stuff" we accumulated over the years.  We have now moved into the MH, but are staying local to finish some items up.

we will hit the road Monday.

"What did we do?"

The right thing. 

Most all full timers go through fears at first, after all, it is a major life style change. 

But many of us have made it through the fears, and you will too. 

Happy travels.

We're still two years out from out departure to full timing.  We're gradually going through stuff.  Garage sale planned next month, somethings will have to be sold in other ways, like my motorcycle. Some stuff will go to the children. We still have stuff to fix on the house.  WE just hope our health holds up.  Hope you folks have a great time.

We sold the house and most belongings or gave to our son.  We downsized to a condo in March as at that time we were 2 years from hitting the road.  We bought tow vehicle 2011 Honda CRV, bikes, and fishing gear. We have to work until the end of 2016, but are axiously planning. Safe travels and maybe we'll see you out there in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom