Aluminum wheels for Freightliner Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

Our coach came with stainless wheel simulators and I have never liked them.  The final straw was when one of the fronts started creaking with every revolution of the wheel.

I'm looking at 22.5 8.25" Hub Pilot Alcoa and Accuride wheels and I have a couple of questions.

The quote I got was for 6 wheels.  Can I keep the steel wheel on the inside rears?  (That would reduce my costs a bunch).

Is there a difference between the steer and drive wheels on a Freightliner chassis?  (The quote was not specific about that).  (The quote was nearly $3,000 BTW, and does not include hub & nut covers, it was for 'bottom of the line Alcoa wheels)  :eek:

I've tried calling Freightliner but haven't had any luck getting through yet.

with as many of burned motorhomes out there why don't you look into a set of used alloy wheels and save a bunch more?

I was looking on the insurance auction sites,  and there are a lot perfectly nice DP (with a total gutted interior fire) and alloy wheels.

look for an rv wrecking yard and see what they have for wheels and then have tires put on them.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=18480807&itemID=19797687&RowNumber=0&loadRecent=True

Not sure I would want an aluminum wheel after there was a fire on top of them......

grassy said:
Not sure I would want an aluminum wheel after there was a fire on top of them......

Why,  is it a superstitious thing or what?......... how hot do you think the rim got,  if the tire didn't even burn ?

just in case....they also have a lot of rigs that are roll overs and other total accidents.

I've looked on eBay and have seen Alcoa wheels for around $150 with no guarantee of their road worthiness.  Then there's shipping that takes it up to around $200 each. 

I've found new ones for as low as 289, with free shipping.  Worth it IMHO.

The seem to come in different levels.  Level one, polished, and durabright.  can anybody tell be what durabright is?  Plastic coated or something?

The information we looked up in 2008 was if the wheel was stamped:
Accuride, they are not coated.
Accu-Shield, they are coated, but I don't know with what.

Alco coated aluminum wheels are called Dura-Bright.

Be aware that the wheels come in different widths and you need the size suitable for the tires you will use. Also different offsets, so you need the same offset if you want to pair up with two of your existing steel wheels.

Many coaches come with 4 alloy wheels and two steel ones on the inner. Not sure if those are the same offset as your OEM steel wheels or not. Only luxury grade models come with all (6 or 8) alloy wheels.

The coating is essentially clear coat paint and is designed to keep the aluminum tarnish free. Some people prefer the uncoated type cause the luster is a bit brighter silver, but then you have to polish regularly to keep it that way. The coated wheels (mine are Accu-Shield) just need th occasional wash to look nice and the coating lasts for years. Mine are 11 now and look fine except where when energetic tire changer scraped through the coating when tightening down the lugs. I have a corroded finish around the lug nuts on that one wheel only, but of course is was way to late by the time I discovered the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom