Schwintek slide hardware jammed and immobile... where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rftoo

We took delivery of a like new 2013 Journey 34B the first of July 2015. First trip the big 24' slide racked (jammed) with the top flush and the bottom extended 2-3 inches on both sides. We took it to a well-regarded local service facility that is trying to work directly with Schwintek technical support. It's a catch-22... extend the slide to diagnose the problem... the jamming won't allow the slide to extend for diagnosis.

Schwintec's offered up 3 solutions to free the slide:

1) With a fork lift and padding, push the slide in, shearing and freeing the hardware.

2) Drill hole(s) to access the motor retainer screws; remove motor.

3) Cut away the slide fascia to access the motor retainer screws; remove motor.

Option 1) is too much of a "big hammer" approach for me... I like my flooring and cabinetry.

Option 2) and 3) aside from the exterior damage may not solve releasing the hardware jam itself.

This has to be a fairly common situation. How have you solved it?

And after you got the slide extended, were you able to upgrade the hardware to higher torque motors and steel hardware?

Welcome!  We have many, many Schwintec/Lippert slide stories for your reading pleasure.  Enter a search term in the search box on the upper right of this page and have fun.

GOOD NEWS! A phone conversation with Winnebago technical support this morning indicated that my coach's repair will be covered by Winnebago for "customer relations". Wow... kudos to Winnebago. I was able to verify this at Camping World, Vacaville,California which had received a letter within the last 2 weeks regarding coverage of repair to Schwintek slide problems. I don't know the extent of the coverage, but it does cover my 2013 coach which would normally be out of warranty.

I have an appointment at CW the first week of September. Stay tuned...

Hopefully everyone with the "Schwintek problem" is covered.  I'll post a follow-up when I take the coach in for formal diagnosis the first of September.

More details about the coverage should be available from any Winnebago dealer.  They apparently should have received a letter from Winnebago about 2 weeks ago.

We had a somewhat similar issue with a rear slide, somewhat smaller than yours on our Tuscany early on in its life.

They did have to drill out the rivets, and realign the motor, but just on the side that was binding. No fork lift work, however, although I suppose how else would you manhandle that much weight? Ours did not lock up, however. Turned out that somehow one of the tracks was installed incorrectly. Also covered under warranty.

One of the latest solutions is a three track implementation of that mechanism but I think the jury is still out.

We have had no other issues in three years, but that does not mean we won't. I really like the speed and quiet of the mechanism, but with so many issues being reported, it might not be my first choice on a future purchase.

Glad to hear everyone is handling your issue appropriately. Not convenient, maybe, but comforting.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom