RV specific GPSs and also Class A motorhome GPS mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I've been reading reviews and posts on various RV GPS units and reviews seem all over the map (pun intended). I have a non-RV Garmin nuvi 1490 5" for the car and it works pretty good. considering an upgrade to the larger 7"

Questions:
1) What's the consensus re these somewhat expensive RV specific GPSs? Have they gotten the low bridge/weight/tunnel databases up to speed? I still seem to find a lot of negative reviews (Rand McNally 7710 has more one star than 5 or 4 star reviews, the Garmin has reviews with "RV feature worthless", Magellan "worst GPS unit I have ever owned" etc)
2) Are the campground/service/etc databases worthwhile or do you really just go back to the Woodall's/Good Sam books for the latest and more detailed info?
3) What about mounting in a Class A motorhome? Standard suction cup won't work as the windshield's too far away. Want to keep the unit in forward line of site for safety so side window's out too. Seems like above backup camera screen area best but just a big vinyl dash there. Was thinking about trying to create a custom bracket that would come from behind camera screen to avoid holes in dash but not sure how well that will work. Would also like to mount phone holder in same fashion. What have other Class A owners done to make nice clean usable mounts for GPS and phone?

Thanks all

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
Sun2Retire said:
I've been reading reviews and posts on various RV GPS units and reviews seem all over the map (pun intended). I have a non-RV Garmin nuvi 1490 5" for the car and it works pretty good. considering an upgrade to the larger 7"
I have been using GPSs for over ten years and I fail to see the advantage of a 7" screen over a 5" screen. I am not planning on reading a book on it, I only glance at it occasionally. The voice is more important to me.
Questions:
1) What's the consensus re these somewhat expensive RV specific GPSs? Have they gotten the low bridge/weight/tunnel databases up to speed? I still seem to find a lot of negative reviews (Rand McNally 7710 has more one star than 5 or 4 star reviews, the Garmin has reviews with "RV feature worthless", Magellan "worst GPS unit I have ever owned" etc)
I fail to see the importance of an RV specific GPS. There are very few roads an RV cannot travel on due to height restrictions. Semi trucks go all over the country and they are taller. In all my years of RVing I have never encountered a problem with the height of my RV.
2) Are the campground/service/etc databases worthwhile or do you really just go back to the Woodall's/Good Sam books for the latest and more detailed info?
They would be worthless to me. I want more up to date information than they could provide, so I have a Chromebook and a laptop.
3) What about mounting in a Class A motorhome? Standard suction cup won't work as the windshield's too far away. Want to keep the unit in forward line of site for safety so side window's out too. Seems like above backup camera screen area best but just a big vinyl dash there. Was thinking about trying to create a custom bracket that would come from behind camera screen to avoid holes in dash but not sure how well that will work. Would also like to mount phone holder in same fashion. What have other Class A owners done to make nice clean usable mounts for GPS and phone?
That has always been the biggest problem for me. I had to drill holes in the dash to get a clean mounting in my RVs.

Thanks. I was kinda thinking my current one was just fine. Re the mounting, what mount(s) have you used?

Sun2Retire said:
Thanks. I was kinda thinking my current one was just fine. Re the mounting, what mount(s) have you used?
I have a Garmin 52LM and I used the mount that came with it. I drilled holes in it and holes in the dash and bolted in down. I recently bought a car and moved it to the car. I use this mount:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050JJU3E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

and I have it stuffed into the center console.

I have the Rand McNally 7710 and really like the 7" screen. I used Velco to mount it on the dash.

There is no such thing as a 100% accurate database, and I've had it try and take me onto parkways where I'm not allowed. I always plan trips with multiple sources for routing, so I know if it's wrong.

We've been using Garmins for years and recently upgraded to the Nuvi 2757 which we really like.  We find the beanbag mounts are good because you don't have to drill or glue anything.  We carry ours between the RV and two cars (car GPS systems generally aren't all that good compared to the Garmin we have) and just put it on the dashboard.  We like the larger screen, maybe because I'm at that trifocal age where I can't see the map if it's too small.  The 7-inch screen is definitely better than the old 5-inch screen!

The directions in the new Nuvi are much better than in our previous model.  For example, turn right at the traffic light before McDonalds.  It even has shopping center buildings marked so it's easier to find pathways within the parking lot, not to mention the larger businesses being named.  As to campgrounds, go to the POI Factory and download various POIs such as 20,350 Combined Campgrounds.  We supplement it with the Good Sam Campground Directory (combined Trailer Life and Woodalls), the Next Exit, state campground association brochures, and miscellaneous brochures we pick up at State Visitor Centers.  Finally, we seldom have an issue with over-height routes.  The Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas lists restricted routes for each state.  We tried one of the height apps and ditched it - just not that good.  We find that most routes with height restrictions have signs well ahead of time.  Obviously you can't just drive blindly without paying attention to signs but it isn't the huge issue that many new RVers imagine.  My advice is to find a GPS that has the screen and features you like and buy that one.

ArdraF

Thanks all. Given the advice probably stick with the 5" we have for the time being.

Hi, After a bit of confusion and frustration (about 1 week worth) I made peace with my new Garmin 7" RV unit. Believe it or not it initially sent me on parkways in NY where no RV/Commercial traffic is allowed. After going over my user defined profile I upped my weight class and Walla! it no longer issues this erroneous info. The voice is 1000 times better than my 5" Nuvi that I am able to clearly follow Ms. Garmin's directions with the stereo on and my diesel engine running at speed and even with my wife talking LOL . Garmin gave a disk with a very strong adhesive with my purchase of the 5" Nuvi. I never used it till now. It's holding the new RV model up nicely, within reach and the big screen makes map reading a pleasure. It's most likely available from Garmin. Add to this the huge database of campgrounds, POI's, gas stations etc.. I now feel it was worth the premium price and the couple of frustrations.
Good luck with your purchase.
Regards
Capt. Steve

Thanks. I think for now I'll work on a mount for my 5" nuvia and see how that goes. Just for esthetics I'd like it mounted in a solid permanent mount. I'll be spending plenty of cash getting the rig road worthy already so maybe a couple Christmases from now

SeilerBird said:
I have been using GPSs for over ten years and I fail to see the advantage of a 7" screen over a 5" screen. I am not planning on reading a book on it, I only glance at it occasionally. The voice is more important to me.I fail to see the importance of an RV specific GPS. There are very few roads an RV cannot travel on due to height restrictions. Semi trucks go all over the country and they are taller. In all my years of RVing I have never encountered a problem with the height of my RV. They would be worthless to me. I want more up to date information than they could provide, so I have a Chromebook and a laptop. That has always been the biggest problem for me. I had to drill holes in the dash to get a clean mounting in my RVs.

I am not sure about other states but in the southern part of NY, NJ and other surrounding states there are many many roads that have height restrictions, no trailers allowed, no commercial traffic, etc.  I am talking about 7'6" clearances.  Many of the entrance ramps and underpasses are poorly signed.  Many times, weekly, traffic is backed up on these roads because a professional driver with a 53' trailer, or a box truck, or a rented Uhaul makes a mistake and gets on a restricted road.  There are thousands in fines.  To a new RV owner who drives these same roads on a daily basis can easily forget it is a restricted road or a low clearance overpass.  A few hundred for a device that will almost ensure you do not make such a mistake is a well worth investment!

I just bought Co-Pilot for my iPhone.  I can enter a height restriction and away I go.  For 6.99 it is a great investment.

This is what I love about this forum, the diversity of experience. Another super good point. Downloading copilot now and keeping my ear to the ground re new GPS

HappyWanderer said:
I used Velco to mount it on the dash.
I really like this idea. Thanks. ;D

I have the Rand McNally 7710 and really like the 7" screen.
It looks like a really great idea but unfortunately it gets more 1 star reviews than 5 star reviews on Amazon. Lots of people are having problems with it.

I have a Garmin nuvi 2455 that I picked up at Costco a couple of years back. Works well enough for most things, but as has already been mentioned, the smaller screen can be a bit difficult to see at a distance, especially when using the standard suction cup windshield mount...so, I bought one of the Garmin "bean bag" mounts:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-vehicle-mount-for-gps/8231861.p?id=1167445402439&skuId=8231861

Not only does it allow me to put it on the dash where I can see more easily, it also allows my "co-pilot" to reach it and change our destinations/stops without having to climb onto the dash. :p

I'd love to get one of the 7" screens...if only for my aging eyes.

I'd love to get one of the 7" screens...if only for my aging eyes.

Yep, you'd love it!  Ours is so much easier to read.

ArdraF

Man oh man oh man, do I love my Garmin RV760LMT. I have GPSs on all my vehicles and let me tell you this one is light years ahead of all the rest. Never mind about the road restriction feature which I like. It has so many features that makes it easier to get where you are going that it would take me way to long to tell you about them all. Just the lane indication feature is worth the money. How many times have you been looking for a off ramp, even with a GPS and when you get there you are in the wrong lane and can't get over in time to get off the road you are in? Well this GPS will graphically show you the off ramps and tell you which of the 8 lanes you must be in.  In many cases is actually shows you what the sign looks like.

I am hard of hearing and can't always hear what the directions spoken are. This GPS has a larger speaker and the voice is much, much better and I can hear what she is saying and understand it. No more "honey what did she say in 8 miles or .8 miles"? I also love how you can have it look for a campsite that matches what you want. For instance lets say you want a campground that has cable TV. You can put that in you search and it will list all that match, starting with the closest one. When you say GO, it will take you there. It also understands voice commands so you don't even have to take your hands off the wheel if you want.

I sound like a salesman, but I have no connection with Garmin at all. But this takes a lot of fear and apprehension away from getting down the yellow brick road for me.

Man oh man oh man, do I love my new Garmin 2759LM. After reading all the enthusiastic responses in this thread to the 7 inch screen I decided to upgrade to one. I was not too happy with my Garmin 52. It had a few minor issues. I can't believe how much better the new one is. Not so much because of the 7 inch screen, but because it is much brighter with more information on the screen including little icons to show the location of gas station, banks and restaurants. It is much easier to tell when you are exceeding the speed limit. And it is much faster than any other GPS I have ever owned. When I turn the steering wheel it starts to turn on the screen almost immediately. And it turns much smoother, not herky-jerky as the old one.

But the thing I like the best is the screen hood. I had been wishing I had a hood since I got a lot of reflections on the screen and I looked for and found a hood. Only $4.99 and it fits it like it was made for it. Between the hood and the increased brightness I can now actually see the GPS in the daytime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI4CZJ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02

Glad you upgraded, Tom.  I sure have been impressed with our new Nuvi 2757 for all the reasons you mentioned plus the larger easier-to-read screen.  I just noticed the other day on one of our complex freeway interchanges that it actually shows jogs to the left for two intended lane changes so you're in the correct lane on the frontage road to enter the freeway and the entrance shows a third jog.  Nifty!  One in San Francisco actually showed the sound wall next to our entrance onto a freeway.  They're making gigantic strides when they can do little things like that!

ArdraF

I got my first GPS over ten years ago. It was not ready for prime time. But every year I upgrade and every year I see amazing leaps in the technology.

Just got back from a 1,000 mile trip and can't believe how precise this new Garmin RV is. U know I had some reservations in my last post but now I simply love it. We will b getting married ASAP. Now if she would only learn to cook...LOL
Regards
Capt.

This is an end of the year sale item that seems interesting.
$99.87 Vs $369.99.

It has all the features of the higher priced units, including height/weight limits
and lifetime maps. The Cobra web site has additional information.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-7600-PRO-Professional-Discontinued/dp/B00B0GQUW0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom