Canada crossing any food restrictions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvtrader

Okay we are going cross though Canada from MI over to Niagara Falls NY

Now my question is the food we have in our refrigerator / freezer

is there any restrictions on eggs,chicken,raw meat that is not allowed to in to Canada?

we are fulltimers so we do have a freezer full of those items.

Heading over later next week

We just went over about 4 weeks ago. All they asked was if we had any handguns.  Took about 2 minutes total to get through.  I came back 2 weeks later, and they asked if we had any plants, guns, how much alcohol we had and that was about it. We stayed in line and 2 agents went into out truck camper. We could hear them opening cabinet doors etc..  It took about 5 minutes total.  We crossed in Calais Me.

Since you've posted this question on multiple forums, I'll provide you the answer again for the benefit of others.  Everything you need to know can be found here and was available with a single Google search: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

You will note that there are serious restrictions on the importation of any raw chicken products.  Even though you may not be asked about this I suggest you be prepared; lying to a border agent is a serious offense.

rvtrader said:
we are Just Crossing over not even spending a night.

Whether or not you spend a night is totally irrelevant.

By what is written in DOCJ's document... who carries 50 pounds of poultry or vegetables or whatever product...
Don't bother about it, just don't bring your military arsenal weapons ! In Canada guns are for sport hunting purposes only and not to defend ourselves ! ;D ;D ;D

Years ago, I crossed into B.C. at Bamfield, on Vancouver Island.  This was, of course, by boat.  We stopped at the government dock and followed the signs to the Customs officer.  We knocked on the door and were greeted by a young woman with two small children hanging onto her. I said, "I'm looking for the customs officer." She said she was the person I wanted. She invited us in and got out the necessary forms. She asked us about alcohol and firearms. Then she asked about various agricultural products.  "Potatoes?" I replied, "Oh, yes. I forgot about potatoes. We have a ten pound bag."  She said, "I would suggest you make a really big potato salad."  I told her, "That is just exactly what I was planning." She handed us our papers and we were on our way.

When we lived near Vancouver we periodically shopped for groceries in Bellingham. The only thing we were not allowed to bring back were poultry products due to an outbreak of avian flu. Also, you will pay dearly for liquor and tobacco over the limit. Crossing back into the U.S. is much more restrictive, no fresh fruit or vegetables allowed. Also no pet food containing lamb or goat. ??? That is what we were told at the border.

RoyM said:
Crossing back into the U.S. is much more restrictive, no fresh fruit or vegetables allowed.

With all due respect the actual rules aren't nearly that restrictive.  You can read the official publication here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1273/~/food--bring-personal-use-food-into-the-u.s.-from-canada

The issue is that you do have to declare all fresh fruits and vegetables and they have to be labeled as to country of origin (those little stickers on the fruit).  Most ICE personnel probably don't want to spend time going through your refrigerator so they just make the blanket statement that you can't bring any of it across. 

We usually reduce the quantity of what we have but we've never gotten to zero.  Most of the time we don't even get asked. Almost all the rules have caveats that small quantities for personal use are exempt, anyway, so for the most part it's not worth them making an issue of it.

Northern Rambler said:
As of three days ago when I returned to Canada you were not allowed any poultry  products including eggs .

Bill

We had eggs and frozen chicken in the fridge and they never said anything. They did go inside the truck camper and inspected.  It may depend in which part of the country you're attempting to cross over.  Seem so I read that the avian flu was only found in certain states and not the entire country.  We did keep all the information on the frozen packages just so they can see where it came from.

I know when you return to the US there is a restriction on how much booze you can bring back

For most foods.. If you only bring food for "Personal consumption" (You and your companioons and guests will prepare and eat) you should have no problem  You bring like 200 pounds of Bananas.. You may have a problem.

Some foods may be subject to inspeciton same as state to state transfer can get you inspected here in the US on occasion..  Likewise do not tranport firewood.

Crossing the border is always subject to current circumstances.  So, since there was an outbreak of bird flu in the US, you can expect border guards to be more vigilant and restrictive to poultry entrance, particularly if you are crossing near or have travelled through where an outbreak has occurred.
    We have over the years been questioned about potatoes, onions, beef, or citrus when entering the US.  Similarly, eggs, poutry, potatoes (blight) when coming to Canada.  Unless you call the border crossing to get current restrictions, you will never know if there is a problem.
    All that to say, we have never had difficulty or lost food going either way in all the years that we have crossed, but we also kept current about any disease outbreaks, so didn't bring those items with us.  It is no different from the agriculteral inspection stations that you must go through when entering some states, ie California.

Ed

Rene T said:
We had eggs and frozen chicken in the fridge and they never said anything. They did go inside the truck camper and inspected.  It may depend in which part of the country you're attempting to cross over.  Seem so I read that the avian flu was only found in certain states and not the entire country.

Technically, only some states are subject to the ban, but unless you can show where your chicken or eggs came from, you're subject to having them confiscated if you are asked.  Attached is a list of the states from which poultry products are banned.

Attachments

• canada.PNG
    canada.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 19
Eggs, citrus, apples, and chicken products seemed to be the issues this summer out west.

The last time we entered the states, we had to toss our fresh fruit. I am told the US won't let in dig food either...

grassy said:
The last time we entered the states, we had to toss our fresh fruit. I am told the US won't let in dig food either...

I assume you meant to say DOG food. We just crossed and had allot of dog food and never had any issues.

Yes...

I suspect each American officer has there only pet watch lists... pardon the pun :)

I was talking to an American class A owner that had a large amount of booze in his class a,,,,was told it was "too much" by the Cdn side..and have a nice trip, you are fee to go...

We had one tomato confiscated going south at Oroville. That seems a little overzealous but it appears to be at the discretion of the customs officer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom