Canada crossing any food restrictions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just crossed into Canada/USA 4 times in the past 2 weeks and had no problems.  They were concerned with tomatoes, green peppers and citrus fruits.  We had a gallon of milk, blueberries, peaches, yogurt and cheeses purchased from Canada. They looked through our RV when crossing into USA, looked in our fridge, didn't go through the cabinets, but had no issues with our supplies.  We also had 4 bottles of wine and two of them were opened.  Nothing happened.

It was easy to cross into Canada.  It was easy crossing into the US too, but they just wanted to walk through our RV and check.. I don't know what they were checking for but oh well!  All good!  They honestly seemd to get distracted by our baby girl.  They spent more time talking to her then actually looking through our stuff-lol.

we had a freezer full of frozen foods and a fridge and cabinet full of foods.  We were on a 3 week trip!  We crossed at Michigan, Niagara Falls and Saint Andrews twice.

Advice:: Watch the signs of where RV's need to go coming into US.  I felt they inform you at the LAST second.  It's the far right lanes.  It was a disaster for us.  I had to backup and block multiple lanes.  Long story short, just go far right... trust me!  I did get yelled at.. lol

rvtrader, I think that you are over reacting. Cross the boarder and enjoy yourselves. I have crossed the boarder several times and have had agents enter my MH only once. They were on the MH about 15 minutes while we waited inside their office and then we got a "Have a good trip" and off we went. They always ask about guns, was ask about apples going into Canada from Washington state and had two steaks taken when entering the US after an outbreak of "mad cow disease". Most agents are just doing their job and are very friendly.

docj said:
Technically, only some states are subject to the ban, but unless you can show where your chicken or eggs came from, you're subject to having them confiscated if you are asked.  Attached is a list of the states from which poultry products are banned.

Good link docj.
We were on motorcycles in Glacier NP in July. Took a day trip to the Canada side. While waiting at the border patrol, we saw a steady procession of RV drivers required to haul their eggs and poultry to the stateside garbage bins.

BinaryBob said:
Good link docj.
We were on motorcycles in Glacier NP in July. Took a day trip to the Canada side. While waiting at the border patrol, we saw a steady procession of RV drivers required to haul their eggs and poultry to the stateside garbage bins.

Coming back into the US last month, I did, inadvertently, find a way of avoiding all questions about what we had onboard.  I was going through an exceptionally narrow lane getting up to the US border agent when I managed to scrape my right mirror on the concrete wall of the adjacent booth.  Fortunately, there was no significant damage to the mirror but the ICE agents were so concerned about whether or not I had damaged their wall that they "forgot" to ask me about what I was carrying with respect to foodstuff or alcohol!  What a waste; we were 100% compliant and no one even asked!  8)

docj said:
Coming back into the US last month, I did, inadvertently, find a way of avoiding all questions about what we had onboard.  I was going through an exceptionally narrow lane getting up to the US border agent when I managed to scrape my right mirror on the concrete wall of the adjacent booth.  Fortunately, there was no significant damage to the mirror but the ICE agents were so concerned about whether or not I had damaged their wall that they "forgot" to ask me about what I was carrying with respect to foodstuff or alcohol!  What a waste; we were 100% compliant and no one even asked!  8)

LOL.. Yes do this so you can carry your tomatoes, citrus fruits and eggs through the border==lol.  That was funny :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom