No more 2 year plans on Verizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting how T-Mobile, the 3rd place carrier, seems to be driving the industry these days.

The "downside" to this will be that consumers will have to start paying the full price for their phones...either up front, or on monthly plans.

While it's probably a good thing that people start to understand just how much that "latest and greatest phone" actually costs, IMO, it will slow the industry growth because people will balk at dropping $500 or more to upgrade.

BoomerD said:
The "downside" to this will be that consumers will have to start paying the full price for their phones...either up front, or on monthly plans.

While it's probably a good thing that people start to understand just how much that "latest and greatest phone" actually costs, IMO, it will slow the industry growth because people will balk at dropping $500 or more to upgrade.
They have been paying full price for their phones since the beginning of this madness. If they don't understand how much their phone really was costing them they would have to have had their head up their behind. I doubt the industry will slow down, in fact I think it will prosper now that the phone companies have gotten rid of that stupid two year plan. People will be able to upgrade more often. One year is a long time in the phone industry today.

SeilerBird said:
They have been paying full price for their phones since the beginning of this madness. If they don't understand how much their phone really was costing them they would have to have had their head up their behind. I doubt the industry will slow down, in fact I think it will prosper now that the phone companies have gotten rid of that stupid two year plan. People will be able to upgrade more often. One year is a long time in the phone industry today.

Well...it's true that we pay for our phones in the overpriced plans...but it's a classic case of "If you don't see it, it doesn't bother you."

If the phone companies had to itemize their billing..."$27 for cellular service, $18.50 for texting service, $34.50 phone payment" then more people would actually get it...but sadly, too many people still think they're getting a "free cell phone" when they sign up for a 2 year plan.

Heck, if you don't want the phone provider to "give" you a phone every two years, you don't have to sign up for a 2 year plan...AND, there are always "pay as you go" alternatives that work pretty darned well.

BoomerD said:

I'm hoping that will finally make people understand that their $100-$200 phone is really $500-$600.

I also hope that it helps usher in more competition in the $200-$300 full price smartphone lineup. There have been a few nice ones in that range that are not that bad relatively speaking. (Of course they are usually GSM models and wouldn't work with Verizon anyway.)

Mike

If I'm reading things right,my current Verizon plan has 6gb shared data that I'm paying 70/month for.
I have three lines that I pay 40/month each for.
Total 190/month
wife just got a new phone we pay 20/month for two years,but get a 25.00 Verizon Edge credit,so net 5.00 credit/month

New plan 60.00 for 6 gb data,20/month for each line
total 120/month
credt from Edge 5.00
I'm just about due folr a new phone.I'm guessing I'll get the same deal as the wife,so net another 5.00 credit

down to 110/month

This sounds pretty good to me! I must be missing something?

I hope this will create more interest in the latest 2nd tier models, the slick new smart phones that cost "only" $200-$250 at full price. Their specs are essentially those of the previous years latest & greatest model, so you no longer have to give up capability to have a less expensive smart phone. Some folks will always buy the latest whiz-bang from Apple or Samsung, but more discerning buyers will perhaps start comparing specs and prices.

Many people, though, are just looking at the monthly payment. If it is only a few dollars more per month, they figure why not have the latest?

I haven't had a cell phone contract in probably 6-7 years now, after switching to prepaid unlimited plans and never looking back.  Our primary phone is a Boost Mobile, originally a Nextel company that was bought out by Sprint and runs on their network.  For $35/month I get unlimited talk, text, and a couple GB of data.  There are larger data plans for those who are constantly on the road and don't have wifi... but there is a LOT of free wifi out there these days.  Yes I pay out of pocket for my phones, but if you don't mind NOT having the latest model... then there are a LOT of good closeout deals out there.

My "work" phone that is used on a limited basis is a Tracfone.  Costs me $100 per year which included a small LG smart phone, package deal from an ebay seller.  Every so often I need extra minutes or texts and I drop an extra $10-20 in my account accordingly.  Most of my coworkers paying $100+ per month on their phone barely use it more than I do, but mine costs 1/10th of what they pay.

What this should do is increase competition to the phone producers to lower the price of the phone. The next step is to sell us a phone that we can use with any provider we chose. 

zulu said:
If you're a heavy data user, not so good. See http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-introduces-new-mobile-share-plans-effective-august-13/.

Last October when Millenicom went away and Verizon introduced the More Everything data plans, I signed up for 40GB/month because Verizon was offering it at a 20GB/month price.

If I tried to get this same plan now, it would cost $100 more.
I don't know how it cannot be good, compared to current pricing. In almost all cases they have lowered the cost for data. You can't compare it to a promo deal from last year. That would be like a grandfathered unlimited AT&T user claiming current prices are no good.

Mike

lumpy75 said:
What this should do is increase competition to the phone producers to lower the price of the phone. The next step is to sell us a phone that we can use with any provider we chose. 

There are very good mid-range smartphones for around $200-250.  The Moto G is one of them, starting at $179.  Even the top line Moto X can be bought for $299 list price.  Many phones today have all the radios to work with the different carriers, it's just that they aren't turned on until you choose the carrier.

Ned said:
There are very good mid-range smartphones for around $200-250.  The Moto G is one of them, starting at $179.

I bought my wife's Moto G for $45 new during a Boost Mobile closeout sale late last year.  Actually I think it might have been a Cyber Monday deal.  But they had factory refurbs at similar prices, and even the regular price was maybe $65-70 tops at that time.  And as mentioned, my smaller Tracfone smartie (an LG Optimus Fuel) was free... and I mean REALLY free... when I purchased a 1-year service card for $100.  Just an example of how the big-name companies have been ripping off customers on device & service prices for years.

That was last year's Moto G, I was talking about the new Moto G.  Gotta keep up to date you know :)

scottydl said:
I bought my wife's Moto G for $45 new during a Boost Mobile closeout sale late last year.  Actually I think it might have been a Cyber Monday deal.  But they had factory refurbs at similar prices, and even the regular price was maybe $65-70 tops at that time.  And as mentioned, my smaller Tracfone smartie (an LG Optimus Fuel) was free... and I mean REALLY free... when I purchased a 1-year service card for $100.  Just an example of how the big-name companies have been ripping off customers on device & service prices for years.
Only $39 this year through Verizon:

http://www.amazon.com/Moto-Verizon-Prepaid-Phone-Only/dp/B00HPP3QD6/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1439419168&sr=1-6&keywords=moto+g

That is a special version that will only work on the Verizon prepaid plan.  It cannot be used on any other plan.  And it's probably the previous model, not the brand new Moto G that can be purchased outright and used on any current Verizon plan, no contract.

Ah well yes, I'm sure there are MANY benefits to the new model that costs 4x the price.  ::)

I've found that I care less about the latest and greatest, the older I get.  And I'm still in my 30's!

I'm still with Verizon for data at $60 per month. But our phones cost $56 for three, with more minutes than we use, on Consumer Cellular (ATT&T).  $116 total for all we need. I may start looking for a 20 gig deal on one of the majors soon. I had Verizon for about 15  years and upgraded phones once (traveling to Australia) before I came to my senses.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom