Why do TT and 5th wheels dont have built in Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

I see that Class A, C and some Bs have generators built in but none of the trailers seem to have them and I am not sure why.  Has anyone installed a generator and if so how.  Was it gas, diesel or LP?

Part two.  I plan on boondocking so how would I carry the Generator if not bult in and keep it from getting stolen if I leave the base camp?

I would like to use solar when and where possible but still learning. I understand that you cant run Air Conditioning with solar.

Thanks to everyone that reads and or replies.  You all are a great group of folks.  ...jc

There are some trailer trailers and 5th wheels with generators. The big problem is weight with the generator and fuel storage.  Back when I carried a generator I kept it in the bed of the truck and when done I just closed the canopy glass and locked it. Another way was to lock the generator to the trailer. I now shifted to the solar and / inverter method because there is no fuel to carry and no noisy generator to listen to humming along outside. In the summer I head up in elevation where weather is cooler and park the RV in the shade of the trees. Then I don't need A/C but do like to have a bit of power for electronics and maybe a bit of TV.

My generator is also in the bed of my truck ahead of the 5th wheel hitch, works great and it is too heavy for anyone to remove easily and it is covered by my tonneau cover when not towing...

Good Luck,

Jim

Toy Haulers typically have them and most high profile 5th wheels at least are prepped for them and some can be ordered with them installed. My 5th wheel had no option for either the generator or the prep so I added one myself. Fits in the front storage compartment (although tight) and runs on propane and works seamlessly with the trailer's power system via an automatic transfer switch.

The downsides are a) as mentioned added pin weight, b) propane generators are less fuel efficient than gasoline so you can burn through your propane fairly quickly.

The upsides are numerous but for us the biggest are a) simplicity of use (just push 1 button and you're good), b) no worry of theft, c) when we are on the road we don't have to break out the generator(s) and power cord to run the A/C units.

Paul

To answer your initial question, that answer is cost.  Manufactures try to keep the initial costs down, and gens are a pricey piece of equipment.  The last 5ver that I had came with "Gen prep".  That meant a metal gen shroud in the front bay, a transfer switch, and a remote stop/start switch in the bedroom closet.  Everything else was up to me.  I put in an Onan 5500 gas gen set that I picked up on Craigs list.  With a 2 1/2 gallon fuel tank from West Marine and I was in business. WAY less expensive than having the dealer install one.

Very few have them.  Cost, weight, logistics....all are factors.

I just throw my $250 Pep Boys special in the bed of the truck with 5 gallons of gas and I can go boondocking.  I use an automotive "smart charger" to augment my on board charger, and it will bring the battery to about 80% in a couple of hours. 

I didn't think of the cost or weight as an issue when it is on the trailer.  I did think about the over all weight for the truck.  I haven't seen any with a configuration to place the generator in a compartment. 
I am disappointed in hearing that LP does not offer better performance.  I guess that is why you don't see and cars or RV powered by LP.

Its hard for me to change my thinking from having A/C all the time to only when needed.  LOL  Living in a RV is a totally different world.  One that scares me and intrigues me.

Can I put the Generator in the bed of the truck and run it off the trucks fuel system and than use the truck to power the RV?  I guess I will have to get a long bed after all.

Thanks to all for the info.  ....jc

All about BTU content of the fuel.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/energy-content-d_868.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Take notice that with both the propane has a lower number of BTU's per gallon vs. more other fuels. Even ethanol gasoline is lower than clear gasoline. Diesel is above the mark for power but diesel generators are heavy.

Curiosity said:
Can I put the Generator in the bed of the truck and run it off the trucks fuel system and than use the truck to power the RV? 

In short, no.

Most generators that you can lift into the bed of the truck rely on gravity to feed fuel from their on board tank to the carburetor.  They don't have a fuel pump.  Since the truck's fuel tank is lower than the generator, it won't work. 

CAN it be done?  I'm an old gearhead....given enough time, money, and talent...anything can be done.  An electric fuel pump with an adjustable pressure regulator and return line plumbed into the truck's tank with a Y fitting to the generator would do the trick.  Would it be worth the expense and difficulty?  Very unlikely.  And then you'd have a permanent modification to the fuel system on the truck, which could have warranty and emissions implications.  And if you do it incorrectly, serious safety ramifications.

Firing up the A/C takes a lot of power at start up....which means a substantial generator.  The typical Harbor Freight 3000 watt model isn't going to work.  You could use two Honda 2000's and pair them together which would run your A/C, but $$$$....and you still have to fill the fuel tanks the old fashioned way.

Funny how the snow bird are quick to run south for the winter avoiding the snow and freezing weather. But then come summer time hang out in the hot spots of the country looking for ways to power A/C units. Said it once before all you need to do is go up in elevation to avoid using A/C. Soon as I can get freed up from all the mechanical work I've been doing I'm heading up in the high country where the weather is much cooler and nicer. No need for A/C.

But I know there is a bunch of the people here in the plains of the Midwest where there isn't enough mountain to get any relief from the heat. So Yeah those folk are stuck looking for a large enough generator to put in the bed of the truck, mount to the rear bumper of the trailer, or some other means of hauling around. Either way you going to have to find a way to secure your generator (lock, chain, welded to the bumper, etc.) So no one steal it. At the same time add that weight to the trailer or the the truck. Also don't forget the hauling of fuel for said generator too.

Since I'm mostly a boondocker in the past I would take the generator out at least 100 feet and run a extension cord back to the RV. This reduced the noise considerable. If you in a campground like I've done once I kept the generator in the bed of the truck and just locked the canopy window at night. With Honda being the best at $2000 for 2 generators ($1000 a piece) and parallel cable I'm sure I can find another way to produce power for A/C unit. Bit too spendy for my blood.

Attachments

• fuels.png
    fuels.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 18
Yep, we're heading for Lake Roberts NM tomorrow morning.  20 degrees cooler than El Paso!  Finally got a break from the rain....we've been grounded much of the summer because the area has gotten pretty much non-stop (and sometimes heavy) rain. 

We ordered a generator and find it convenient to use.  It does use a lot of propane, but we only use it to run the microwave and TV, and to charge the batteries.  My next RV will have one too.

Elevation doesn't always do it for cooling off.  We are in Yellowstone in Montana at 6500 feet and it was 80+ today.  We still needed the air for about 3 hours in the afternoon. 

Ditto what Marty said; We ran the air for several hours this afternoon and evening at 6,600 ft here in Wyoming.

Aye Marty, we're approx 50 miles south of Jackson. Weather here seems unpredictable.

SargeW said:
Elevation doesn't always do it for cooling off.  We are in Yellowstone in Montana at 6500 feet and it was 80+ today.  We still needed the air for about 3 hours in the afternoon.

Well... Get away from the hot springs it would cool down...  ;D

I've done this so many times there is time I enter Riggins, ID to make my way up the mountain for firewood. I look at the in cab thermometer and see 100+*F outside. Now climb to 6,000 to 7,000 feet where I cut wood at and the temperature usually is between 75-85*F. so it about right for what you saying. Also depends on how much shade you have too. Of course if your in direct sunlight in a campground the temps might be hotter. Like here at home measuring the temp around the main house and then measure around the RV under the shade tree. The RV can hold high 70'swithout A/C in the shade on a 90*F day. Yes I've done some studying of temperatures for boondocking reasons.  ;)

Attachments

• thermometer.JPG
    thermometer.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom