Windows 10 Upgrade Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

I got this window that came up on my computer today that said "Windows 10 is downloading in the background." I'm looking at my modem and I don't see the lights flashing that would indicate a download is occurring. There is also a box in this windiow that says "View download progress" but when I run the pointer over it and it gets highlighted, if i click then whole window disappears. Any body know what's up with that?

It may have already downloaded, or it's waiting for some reason (server busy?).  It's a big download, 2+GB, and when it's done, you'll see a Windows Update message that it's ready to install.

I don't know that it constantly and automatically downloads, even when that message it up.  I had the same notification on my W7 computer a couple weeks ago.  At some point, the message will change and tell you that W10 is downloaded and ready to install.

FYI after installing W10 and having multiple driver issues that I could not resolve with the current version (of W10), I ended up reverting back to W7.  This can be done automatically within the first month after upgrading, in case you need it.

scottydl said:
I don't know that it constantly and automatically downloads, even when that message it up.  I had the same notification on my W7 computer a couple weeks ago.  At some point, the message will change and tell you that W10 is downloaded and ready to install.

FYI after installing W10 and having multiple driver issues that I could not resolve with the current version (of W10), I ended up reverting back to W7.  This can be done automatically within the first month after upgrading, in case you need it.
That's what everyone should do if they don't already have WIN 8 !
Just keep your great WIN 7, the best so far !

I like Windows 10.  My seat of the pants speedometer says it's faster.  I've grown to like the metro start screen too.  I keep the things I use most visible and the things I only use once in a blue moon on the old start menu.

I had one driver issue.  Fixed in a few minutes.  As an added bonus my laptops sleep feature now works for the first time ever.

However, if you have a computer older than about 3 years or an old peripheral device you just can't live without it might not be for you.

Drivers are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers, and some of them don't take that responsibility seriously.  If you've got a 10 year old printer you might have driver issues.  ;)

The main issue I've had with 10 is that my Quallcomm WiFi won't play too nice with 10.  I have to periodically Roll Back the driver setting to make it work.  Sometimes this last 1-2 days other time it lasted only 1 hr before I had to do it again.

Windows 10 will automatically update drivers as well as other parts of the OS.  Microsoft has released a tool to allow you to hide selected updates, you can get it from here.  You'll have to watch for the drive update being offered and use the tool to hide it.

So far, the only device that didn't work right away was our Globalsat GPS receiver that we use with Street Atlas on Lorna's laptop.  I had to reinstall an older driver from Prolific to get it working and will have to keep an eye out for Windows updating that one.  However, our 4 year old Canon printer worked exactly as it did with Windows 7 and 8.1, including the monitoring tools.

Ok, it downloaded and the window came up ready to install. Since it was late, I went to bed intending to do the update in the morning so I could monitor. Now in the morning, the update button is gone and I'm back to the original problem in my first post. What is going on with this?

Open Windows Update and check for updates.

Ned, is there somewhere I can check to see if MS is doing an automatic update on my computer? Sometimes it slows to a crawl for no apparent reason.

Marty, yes, open Windows Update and if it's downloading it will tell you and you can see what it's downloading.  But slowness isn't always due to internet activity.  Open the Task Manager and click on the CPU column header (if you don't see the full table, click on the 'More Details') and it will sort the processes by CPU usage with the highest at the top.

OK, never mind. I typed in the search bar and I found it. It's already downloaded 3 updates that I didn't know about.  One more is waiting..... 

Quick way to WU:  Click on Start, Settings, Update and Security.  Or click on the Notifications icon ( far right in the system tray), then All Settings.  As usual, there are numerous ways to get to where you're going :)

OK, I got it installed and so far like it. However, I did notice that my Bitdefender Internet Security was removed from the computer during the install process. Not sure why, but is it unnecessary with Win 10 or should I reinstall?

My first install attempt failed with an error code, that I later read was due to the third party malware program (AdAware in my case) that I had installed.  I'm surprised your upgrade went through, but either way Bitdefender was removed likely to allow the Windows upgrade to complete.

Whether or not you need Bitdefender reinstalled is your choice.  I think Windows Firewall/Defender has probably improved substantially in recent years, but Microsoft also now allows/plans for the OS to work with outside programs.  It never hurts to have a second line of defense.

As Scott says, Windows Defender and built in firewall are more than adequate security tools, but you can install 3rd party replacements if you desire.  If you do, I would only install a malware detector, but keep the Windows firewall.  It's as good as any 3rd party product and doesn't get in the way of normal operations, like so many others do.

Thanks for the help and advice y'all. I think I'll stick with the Windows protection stuff for a while and keep my fingers crossed..  ;) ;D

The best defense against malware is common sense, but a good firewall is also needed :)

Back
Top Bottom