Propane cost for use in RV for cooking, heating, refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

While getting a propane tank filled for home bar-b-que use, I asked the supplier, if they could fill the tank on our new coach.  He replied it would be cheaper to use the disposable cannisters or carry a 20 pound tank in the coach as the additional taxes would make the cost per gallon almost $4.00.  I told him that the propane is not used to power the vehicle, he said the government dosen't care, the tank is in a motor vehicle and therfore gets all the highway taxes thrown in.  I find this very hard to believe.  I pay for my home use $1.799 per gallon, to go to $2.50/gal next year maybe.  I will call my home delivery service to see if he will fill my tank for the $1.799 gallong cost.  Anyone got any thoughts. :-\

He just didn't want to fill an ASME tank.  I've had ours filled by a home delivery service but mostly use propane stations that know what they're doing.

In our area the  local Menards does propane refills if the tank isn't out of date. All of their fork trucks run on propane. There might be some truth to the road tax deal though, on an on board tank. Lots of motor homes were set up to run on propane in the 80s. I had a 80 Itasca that was a duel fuel setup. I took all the propane stuff off and capped the extra fitting on the tank. Even with that coach I was never charged a road tax on my propane refills.

I had my RV propane tank filled at a local U-Hual facility. Don't know what it cost now, but you can call them. :)

Your propane guy is full of horse...feathers. Go somewhere else. Most propane stores will fill ASME (fixed) tanks and understand the difference between use as a highway motor fuel and non-highway use. If nobody in your area does it, many campgrounds fill RV tanks.

Try truck stops for propane, as well as campgrounds. 

I have a 14# tank and it usually lasts me three months for cooking, hot water, and a little heating, so a few cents per gallon is not that big of a difference. I suppose if you full-timed with two people, you might have to fill your tank every 4-6 weeks, but that does not seem worth getting a separate outside tank.

I had a 30# cylinder filled today at a local gas station for $14.50, or about $2.07/gallon. Last Monday, our cottage 330 gallon bulk tank and 29 gallon coach tank were filled through our local fuel buying co-op, at $1.15/gallon. We've had the coach tank filled at various locations around the country, and there's never been any mention of paying road fuel taxes.

You must be on California.    Never heard of a extra highway tax charged for a LP being used to power a motor vehical.

Thanks, all for your responses.  I'm in Pennsylvania, so don't know if any of you are purchasing propane for your RV in PA.  Anyway, you have confirmed my thoughts.  They charge me $9.95 to fill my 20 lb tank, but think they really don't want to fill the tank in the RV as Ned suggested.  My home supplier is getting back to me regarding his abilities to fill the tank.  Thanks, again.

1PlasticMan1 said:
Thanks, all for your responses.  I'm in Pennsylvania, so don't know if any of you are purchasing propane for your RV in PA.  Anyway, you have confirmed my thoughts.  They charge me $9.95 to fill my 20 lb tank, but think they really don't want to fill the tank in the RV as Ned suggested.  My home supplier is getting back to me regarding his abilities to fill the tank.  Thanks, again.
If they're not sure, your coach ASME tank has the same fill port fitting as your bulk tank or cylinder(s).

Hi All
This brings a question this newbie has on propane.
Is it possible to tap off the coach tank to supply a grill?
Thanks
Jim

mudshark said:
Hi All
This brings a question this newbie has on propane.
Is it possible to tap off the coach tank to supply a grill?
Thanks
Jim
Yes You can buy an Extend a stay. You can go both ways you can power your grill or power your coach off an external tank. Hear is a start.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=extend+a+stay+propane+kit&sprefix=Extend+a+stay%2Caps%2C218
Bill

I bought propane in Scarborough, ME for $4.00 a gallon from a truck that came into the camp grounds and in Corning, NY for $2.35 a gallon from the camp ground, Much better price. Never had anyone try to charge me hi way tax.
Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom