Living in an RV full time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisadunphy

I'm new here so hello! I've been mulling renting my house and living full time in an RV, keeping a car to commute to work since I still need to do that ;). After tons of research I believe a Class B or C would work the best (it's only me and a dog and a cat).  I'm just so tired of STUFF, and there are plenty of places near me I could stay. I also want to take off and do some sightseeing across the country.  I am enamored with some of the older RV's I see but am afraid of getting a money pit.  I plan to renovate the interior to get rid of carpeting, overstuffed furniture and creepy velour. But that stuff is cosmetic -- I'm just looking for insight on models or years perhaps to stay away from, or those I should try to find. For example, I saw a Lesharo which has tons of charm but readers say it's like the Yugo of Rv's. I've browsed online a  1976 Vandura, a 1995 Chevy Lazy Daze, a 1977 Dodge Chinook just for example. Must have AC and inside shower.  Looking forward to comments, suggestions, etc.

A Class B seems awfully small for a person, a dog and a cat. There usually isn't much floor space and stepping over the dog every time you turn around gets old in a hurry. And shower (if any), commode, galley etc. are all inconveniently small in that type of rig.But that's your call.

Since you are looking at antique RVs, I'm guessing budget is important. Even so, I would suggest that buying somewhat newer will have the same net cost after repairs and upgrades. I'm not at all suggesting buying new, just newer than the 70's or 80's. Somewhere around the late 90's will get you a much superior vehicle under the RV, and also a more modern grade of appliances (fridge water heater, etc). Once an RV reaches about 15 years old, the vlaue is all based on condition rather than age.

Yeah I agree, 1970's-1980's RVs are just way too ancient, you'll need to be a skilled handyman for that sort of thing, ...because you'll need it,
and not just with the cosmetic stuff either. Anything with an engine is going to be a maintenance money pit in it's own rite.

So many beginning RV shoppers think they can live in a tiny little RV without any problems and save a bunch of money. An old RV is never cheap, they are always money pits. That's why they are available so cheaply. I live full time in a 32 foot class A with three cats and it is too small for me. I would love to upgrade to a 36 footer. I suggest you rent a small class C for a weekend trip and get some camping experience before spending money.

Seems to me there is a lot of stuff associated with an RV, just different stuff. Dogs and cats have their needs too and their behaviors. Key is to switch out of envisioning mode and like SeilerBird said, rent and get some living experience in one before committing further.

They are available so cheaply because they have gotten to the point where there is a lot of stuff to do to keep them maintained, upgrades and constant repairs are needed, the effects of movement keep adding up, and stuff that costs a lot, IF, others have to do all the work for you.

My perception on the gas v diesel is that one aspect often is not discussed. That the generally poorer suspension has to shake the gas coach much more on a gas unit = can cause more stuff to do for owners. (safe bet I think)

Do it yourself types like doing stuff. That is why many people who don't like doing stuff couple up/partner up/make friends with those who like doing stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom