Backup Camera for Smart Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These create a wifi network between your phone and the camera. GoPRo does this as well.  if the video quality of this is ok and not jumpy or such then it might be a pretty good deal.

Is lag an issue with these?  Seems like most bluetooth devices have at least some noticable amount of lag between the time that something happens on one end, and what you see or hear on the other.  That could be HUGE for a backup camera.

I have been thinking of using an old iPhone or iPod touch coupled with my current iPhone in a facetime conference as a make-shift backup camera.  It seems that all I would need is a magnetic mount to slap on the tailgate of the truck, aim it to view the hitch ball, and BAM! ... instant back up camera.  But what has me second guessing that idea is lag.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, try playing any game app with your smart phone playing audio over a bluetooth speaker.  There will often be a noticable gap in time between when you tap on something on the screen and the sound you hear out of the wireless speaker, especially compared to what you normally hear when listening directly over the phone speakers or a wired headset.

Lag in a backup camera could lead to overshooting your mark, or worst case, ramming your rig.  Not good.

So, needless to say, I am curious about the potential for lag in a solution like this (or my facetime idea).

Great Horned Owl said:
Has anybody tried one of these wireless backup cameras that transmit to an ios or Android smart phone? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QHZV7IQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=T168APDSGUXT&coliid=I22RBT7YFQBC19

It has a magnetic mount and rechargeable battery, so it doesn't need installation. Just slap it on when you need it. At under $100, it looks attractive.

Joel

This quote from the listing seems odd to me: "Comes with Stow Bag, 12 Volt Charging accessory and Micro USB Cable-can be used 4-6 hours on a full charge." From this, one presumes it has an internal battery that must be recharged every 4-6 hours. Odd for what most would make a dedicated and fixed device to see behind a coach. I have a wi-fi back up camera on a 36-foot motor home and find it works just as it should. No complaints. And, it's hard wired into the back up light circuit so only comes on when the rig is in reverse. Dan

With my eyesight, I prefer a dedicated GPS and  back up monitor rather than a smart phone or the  built in mapping device/on-star.

I too like the larger monitor on my rear view camera.. though for backing I can see where that might be handy.. I sometimes back up someone else's car and trailer.... Though I usually get by on just the mirrors rather well. (It is a small "Lawn Service" type trailer, of which he has two)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom