HWH Pump motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron from Big D

Moderator Emeritus
For those of you that encounter a failure in your HWH Automatic Jack system, you might be faced with the removal of the motor driving the pump.  At least on a Blue Bird, the pump and reservoir is mounted under the fixed steps going up into the coach and directly above the air operated steps on the exterior.

The power is furnished via 2 solenoids.  One allows power to the second, when the system is energized.  The second solenoid, which is strapped to the motor is energized when you actuate the extend switch. It doesn't matter if you are doing it automatic mode or by individual jack.  The output of that solenoid goes directly to the motor power terminal.

First remove the power to the second solenoid and remove the blue wire that actuates it.  When that is done, remove the end cap from the motor held in place by two phillips head screws.  After removal of the cap you will see two long bolts that hold the motor to the pump.  Remove the bolts and pull motor from the pump.  Work the motor out around whatever items may be in the way.

When my system quick working, it turned out the main terminal on the motor was loose and the nuts were corroded so bad from road exposure that the terminal needed to be replaced at a starter/alternator shop.  Cost was $54 to have this done.

If I can be of further service, let me know.

Ron from Big D

Ron,

Our HWH pump and reservoir are mounted in the generator compartment ahead of the firewall with easy access from both above and below.  Also, being ahead of the wheels and high up, it doesn't get much in the way of road dirt on it.

IIRC mine is in the rear engine compartment, with access below and above. But I;m going to check it out next time I'm at the coach.

To ALL,

I was just reading Forbes Magazine and in an article on cooling systems for servers they described a nifty pump, e.g., no moving parts.  See the attached photo and description below

JerryF

Attachments

• Pump-SM.jpg
    Pump-SM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 25
JerArdra said:
To ALL,

I was just reading Forbes Magazine and in an article on cooling systems for servers they described a nifty pump, e.g., no moving parts.? See the attached photo and description below

JerryF

Interesting motor Jerry.  I wonder how big it would have to ge to move several gallons a minute?

Ron said:
Looks like a pretty neat idea.? I wonder how well it works and how much water it will move.

Ron,

I was curious about the Cooligy Pump so I did a little research. At http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4086 I found the following quotes relating to the pump:

"The pump was developed by mechanical engineer Ken Goodson at Stanford University."

and

"Goodson's experiments have produced a flow rate of 200 millilitres per minute. Keane says this would be enough to cool chips that radiate 120 watts of heat per square centimetre, with hotspots of up to 500 watts. In comparison, Intel's Centrino chip dissipates 35 watts."

A really interesting invention. 8)

Richard

Back
Top Bottom