New shocks on light truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woreoutoldfart

I have a 2002 Chevy 1500 Silverado 2wd.? I just bought a 26' Pioneer 5th wheel.? The trailer weight is 6000#.? Here's my question...Since I am using a 1/2 ton pickup as a tow vehicle, should I consider replacing the shocks on the rear of my truck to help hold the tongue weight of my trailer?? The present shocks are very good but I am not sure if I need to beef up the suspension to accomodate the additional weight.?

Chris

woreoutoldfart said:
I have a 2002 Chevy 1500 Silverado 2wd.? I just bought a 26' Pioneer 5th wheel.? The trailer weight is 6000#.? Here's my question...Since I am using a 1/2 ton pickup as a tow vehicle, should I consider replacing the shocks on the rear of my truck to help hold the tongue weight of my trailer?? The present shocks are very good but I am not sure if I need to beef up the suspension to accomodate the additional weight.?

Chris

Are you within the towing specifications, tow rating, GCVWR, and axle ratings of your truck?  Axle ratings are found on your doorpost.  The other specs can be found by clicking on http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175    If you are within them with a bit of headroom, 10-20%, no worries.  Just keep an eye out for odd tire treadware like cupping. 

Chris, I'll let the experts talk about things to do to beef up the truck, but just one comment about the shocks. Shocks, unless they are the air or spring variety don't support weight, they just slow down the up and down motion. ?

Carl  & caltex,

Thanks for the insights, guys.  That puts my mind greatly at ease.  I checked the axle ratings and if my calculations are correct, I will have about 15% headroom on the weights.

Thanks agan.

Chris

Hello there,

If you are going to replace shocks,then you should check into Bliestien shocks, they will help you out in keeping the tires where they need to be and in control of your trailer.
Hope this helps.

Earl

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom