2012 F150 Supercrew 4x4, 3.55 axle ratio towing capacity 3.5L ecoboost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

storkbud

Hi,

I'm new to this -- haven't really towed much of anything yet, and just in the "investigation phase".  I want to figure out maximum trailer or 5th wheel I'll be able to tow, and then, what you all experts think is a safe level below the maximum to purchase, because I'm assuming I don't want to be right at or near the maximum load.  If there is a place to find this info out, please point me there.

Any other information needed to figure out the towing load ? 

Also, I know on an old truck I owned, I had a trailer package that boosted the weight you could tow -- it was a chevy, but how would I know if my current truck had a larger towing boost -- my truck does have the trailer brake control already...which is what made me wonder if it could possibly have the heavier towing capability -- I'm guessing no, as my old truck that had this had a 3.73 axle ratio, but don't just want to assume.  I'm thinking it's in the 8,000 range as towable.

So, if it were 8,000 what is a "safe" trailer weight to consider ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yeap, the Ford Towing Guides for all recent years are online - see http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Get idea to learn the numbers and get educated before you start shopping.

Thank you!  That is a helpful link  :)

Ok, so based on the brochure, my Maximum loaded trailer weight is 9,600.  Now, that leads me to my next question.  What kind of weight will I add to an unloaded Trailer, -- obviously, this is going to vary by each situation and size, but say I'm looking at a 33 foot trailer, what kind of weight do you think I'll add to it ? Is 500 lbs a good estimate ? 

So, with the max load at 9,600 lets say I'm going to add 600 lbs to the trailer I buy, leaving 9,000 lbs.  What other weight considerations are there (it'll be a travel trailer, not a 5th wheel --- I have a short bed truck, and my understanding is I'd have a hefty price tag in order to do a fifth wheel with a short bed) ? 

I'm thinking of just limiting to an unloaded trailer weight of around 8,000 and calling it a day in regards to my trucks towing capabilities..

For planning purposes I would use the gross weight rating of the trailer instead of the dry or unloaded weight.  For example my TT will hold over 400 pounds of fresh water alone.  It's amazing how canned goods, towels, dishes, camp chairs, etc.. add up.

Don't forget to check the cargo capacity of your truck.  In my case it's 1900 pounds but 1100 of that is taken up by tongue weight leaving me 800 pounds for family and extra stuff in the bed of the truck. 

BTW I'm towing with a 2014 4X4 F-150 supercrew ecoboost with max tow package (3:73 axle).  The engine is a pulling beast.

Pulling is not the issue. Nearly any recent truck will pull way more than it can safely control in an emergency. A thirty foot box is a lot to control in a crosswind (or when that 18 wheeler goes by) not to mention when the trailer brakes fail. There are several recent threads here that go into detail for recent F150's so I won't go into detail, but the consensus seems to be that 25-27 feet is a reasonable maximum length and around 7500-8000 lb gross weight.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Ernie

Ok, so based on the brochure, my Maximum loaded trailer weight is 9,600.  Now, that leads me to my next question.  What kind of weight will I add to an unloaded Trailer, -- obviously, this is going to vary by each situation and size, but say I'm looking at a 33 foot trailer, what kind of weight do you think I'll add to it ? Is 500 lbs a good estimate ?

No. 500 lbs is grossly under estimating. 1000# is more likely, even in casual use. Those who make longer term trips often carry 2000# or more.

But you should not even attempt to estimate that. Use the trailer GVWR as the planning weight. Sooner or later you will be towing with a max loaded trailer anyway, but in the meantime you will have some highly desirable cushion.

Back
Top Bottom