Have to get back to WY fly fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
On our way home from the MidWest, we decided to detour to Wyoming to meet up with Tim and Marsha Lassen, to check out real estate and to check out the fly fishing. They had us hooked (no pun), and we've looked seriously at several lots at the Star Valley Ranch, but decided to rent for an additional month rather than buy.

There are countless fishing opportunities locally in WY and in nearby Idaho. We'd visited WY without my/our fly fishing gear, but Tim loaned me some gear. I also bought a couple of el cheapo fly fishing "kits".

We have appointments this coming week, and decided to leave the coach in WY and drove the Burb back to our home in CA (approx 900 miles). Arrived this afternoon, and I'm starting to get my fly fishing gear together, in preparation for our return to WY.

Tom, that's one of the things I miss most about living in Wyoming. It was the best hunting and fishing I've ever seen anywhere.

I had never learned to fly fish properly...just went out and tried to "throw" the line like I'd seen others do.  :eek:

I finally took a short class with one of the local sporting goods stores...didn't make me an expert fly fisherman...but it taught me enough to be fairly successful.

Sadly, since leaving Wyoming, I haven't done hardly any fishing anywhere except the ocean. I LOVE deep sea fishing...especially for halibut, rockfish, and albacore.

I stopped by a ranger station last week and picked up maps for three different NFS districts. Looks like it would take years to explore and fish all the streams.

...just went out and tried to "throw" the line like I'd seen others do

I'm no expert, but have fly fished since I was a kid. When I try to explain the casting technique to folks, I tell them that, on the back cast, they're loading up a spring and, on the forward cast, they're releasing the stored energy to propel the line, leader and fly forward.

We are heading to WY next spring and will have to check it out.

Give yourself sufficient time to explore it. Our coach happens to be located just a few miles from the Idaho state line, and there are plenty of opportunities in both states. It does, however, mean buying two licenses.

Some folks swear by guides. The only time I used a guide service was when we were at a forum rally in Utah and I stumbled across a stream and the guide's fly shop. I hadn't picked up a fly rod in quite a few years before that but, like riding a bike, it comes back to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeeH3tBL1VU

Not quite the same as having my own gear (the guide provided everything).

Tom, I have a close friend here in Utah that has a very well kept corner lot in Star Valley Ranch FOR SALE... I'll check on the asking price, I know he is trying to sell the lot & a Damon Challenger motorhome as well.>>>Dan

Let me know the lot number. There are quite a few lots for sale in Star Valley Ranch, including corner lots. Some folks want to sell their RV as part of the deal, but I think they'll find it harder to sell. Most folks visiting & staying at the ranch already have an RV, and don't need another one.

FWIW there are some good deals to be had on "new" developer lots but, of course, you get an undeveloped lot.

This morning, while walking the dogs, I talked with a neighbor who previously owned property in Jackson (Hole), WY. He bought the property for $80K, expecting the yuppies to move in and drive up prices. He sold for $500K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom