1st. Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boatguy

So we left R.I. Thursday for Glen N.H. From R.I. , first off I can't say enough about the hospitality of the people of the Granite State. From the toll collectors to the clerk at the local convenience store. Just the nicest people you will ever meet. Hell, if I didn't have psychological issues with the cold and moving further  North, I'd leave tomorrow !!

So it was 442 miles round trip, 51.8 gal of fuel with an average of 8.5 M.P.G. With the genset running for 12.5 hrs.If my math is right. I think that was pretty good for a 1991 V 8 . Probably averaged about 55/60 on the way up, and 60/65 on the way back.

Couple of things on my lessons learned list, definitely need to get some levelling blocks and stabilisers for next time,the site looked fine when we pulled up, but it was far from it. Every time the 25lb dog moved the whole unit moved. Ran all the systems in the last couple days, and I'm very happy that they all work. The miles on the highway didn't help the delam issues, but I didn't think it would.

Once we got home, and I shut down the genset I plugged into the house. Needed to hook up to run some fans due to a leak in the faucet wetting the carpet. And the cord was really hot to the touch, I mean hot, like much hotter than I thought it should be, is it normal for a 30 amp cord to get hot after 5 hours plugged into the genset?? It just seemed a lot hotter than I thought it would be.
Overall it was a fantastic trip, can't wait to do it again !!

Really hot wires should be a waving red flag. At the least get a heavier duty extension cord. What you don't want is a fire.

Boatguy said:
So we left R.I. Thursday for Glen N.H. From R.I. , first off I can't say enough about the hospitality of the people of the Granite State. From the toll collectors to the clerk at the local convenience store. Just the nicest people you will ever meet. Hell, if I didn't have psychological issues with the cold and moving further  North, I'd leave tomorrow !!

You probably came up 95 then picked up the Spaulding Turnpike/Rte.-16. As you were going through Rochester NH, you went within 3 miles of my house.

That's a great area you live in Rene,love it up there this time of year. Would love to get up there mid, late October to see the foliage.

It was when the cord was plugged into the genset outlet inside the cord box vitto, it wasn't ready to melt or anything, just really  hot to the touch. Had the fridge and roof a.c. On. A.c. Was cranked up the whole trip. The genset is 4kw, seemed to run steady no surging or revving, just normal changes when it takes a load.

Glad you had a good trip.  I agree with vito55's suggestion that you get a heavier-duty extension cord.  Having a cord get hot is a warning shot across the bow.

X2 

A hot cord is SCREAMING there is a problem.  Common causes include an undersized cord, like plugging an electric heater into a lamp cord.  The plug fits, what's the problem, he said to the fire chief. 

If the cord is properly sized, i.e 30A rated 10GA wire on a 30 A circuit, that means WHEN IT WAS NEW AND IN PERFECT CONDITION, it could carry 30A.  If there is any corrosion or slight degradation in the plug, it will overheat.  It can no longer carry that much power. IT IS YOUR WARNING TO REPLACE THE PLUG OR THE CORD. They do not last forever.

REPLACE THE CORD!

Alright, thanks for the information, new 30 amp cord it is. It looks like it came with the camper. I'm also going to unhook the batteries and look at the plug , it also looks factory. Thanks all, I'll post all the findings. Once the battery is un hooked and cord is unplugged, there's no power to the converter ? Sounds like a stupid question as I read it, just want to be sure !

If you unplug the trailer from shore power, there will be NO power to the converter. You don't have to worry about the 12V battery side if you are going no further than that.

Had to laugh at you opening statement. We have a P&S on the RI home and will be downsizing and moving into the townhouse on Opechee Bay next month. We don't worry about the cold though because like Rene we winter in central Florida. Glad you had a good time, but definitely get a heavier cord.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom