Windows 10 and Forum Emoticons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobNSam

OK, after over two weeks of Windows 10 I have finally encountered a problem that has me truly irritated.
When posting on the forum in either reply or as now a new posting clicking on an emoticon produces no, nada, zero effect. As a matter of fact, none of the buttons appear to function. No formatting, hyperlink, etc.
What am I missing?
All info appreciated.
Bob

:) ;) :D ;D Emoticons are working here, Windows 10 and Firefox 41.0b1

Bold, italics, underline, strikethrough, Google, and hyperlink too.

What browser are you using, Edge by chance?

Yup, I have the same problem with Edge.  So, I use Chrome.  But, I do wonder just what is going on.  Just what language is being used behind the scenes in this forum software that Edge doesn't interpret correctly?

8Muddypaws said:
I'm guessing you're using the Edge browser.

Try using Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Chrome.
You got it in one...
I have been trying to give MS W10 all chances to perform as I require...this is the only biggy for me so far. Prior to W10 I did use Firefox almost exclusively and may have to return.
I have submitted a "b!#@h to the W10 complaint compartment...they will probably end up blaming the website for not meeting some corner case implementation under W10.
Molaker...that is also my question.
Bob

Edge is a work in process, so expect things to sometimes not work as expected.  I would suspect the Javascript support isn't complete in Edge.  Stick with one of the proven browsers and just play with Edge.  It is good to report any problems like these to MS, if no one does, they won't get fixed.

Ned said:
Edge is a work in process, so expect things to sometimes not work as expected.  I would suspect the Javascript support isn't complete in Edge.  Stick with one of the proven browsers and just play with Edge.  It is good to report any problems like these to MS, if no one does, they won't get fixed.
So far, Edge has been a disappointment to me.  I understand it's a work in progress, but so many things are not working correctly.  I can't get my favorites to transfer over in their entirety from either IE or Chrome, and I can't view my security cameras on Edge.
Also Windows 10 gives me a runtime error message, Visual C++runtime library, when it opens.  It runs ok, but that error message bothers me.

I installed a new WINDOWS 10 on a ACER laptop equiped with a SSD ! It works OK but I'm back using CHROME that I prefer way more then that Edge ! I kept WINDOWS 7 on my other DELL laptop, wich I prefer to WINDOWS 10.

legrandnormand said:
I installed a new WINDOWS 10 on a ACER laptop equiped with a SSD ! It works OK but I'm back using CHROME that I prefer way more then that Edge ! I kept WINDOWS 7 on my other DELL laptop, wich I prefer to WINDOWS 10.
I'm back to using Internet Explorer.  I had hoped Edge would be the Great White Hope, but it's proved to be a disappointment so far.
I can't use Chrome or Firefox when I want to view my home security cameras, because they won't play on either of those browsers.  I've read the same thing over and over again, from people who can't use those browsers to view security cameras on them.
So, it's back to using my android phone app, and IE to view the security cameras!

Heavier?

I've had to remove Chrome from several systems lately because it has a way of gobbling up resources.  It gets stuck in an update after booting and slows the computer down to a crawl for almost an hour a day.  Very irritating.

Now I recommend IE 11 and Firefox to my clients. 

BTW, IE11 is included in W10.  But it's not on the start menu or Metro start. You have to put it there manually.

I have been running Chrome for a few years now and have had very good results.  Lately I have noted that it seems like my browser is running very slow.  I seem to be in a decent signal area, and the Wifi seems strong.  Could this be a symptom of Chrome being goofed up?  I am running W10 and the DW is running W7 with Chrome with the same results. 

I can't recommend Edge to anyone at this time.  I consider it an experiment in the making.  As for camera, I have plugins for both Chrome and Firefox that let me view my security camera (Foscam) at home in either browser.  The Firefox plugin is:

OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.4
This plugin is automatically installed by Mozilla to comply with the WebRTC specification and to enable WebRTC calls with devices that require the H.264 video codec. Visit http://www.openh264.org/ to view the codec source code and learn more about the implementation.

Chrome uses an extension from Foscam.

Marty, I doubt the WiFi has anything to do with the browser seeming slow.  I would disable any extensions and see if that helps.  If it does, then turn them on one at a time to find the culprit.  Most browser problems can be traced back to a troublesome addon or plugin.

8Muddypaws said:
Heavier?

I've had to remove Chrome from several systems lately because it has a way of gobbling up resources.  It gets stuck in an update after booting and slows the computer down to a crawl for almost an hour a day.  Very irritating.

I use all of them Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox

I have noticed Chrome often needs a kick in the closer (Task Manager END TASK) and grass grows when that happens (Faster than the computer runs).

When I first got edge (Upgraded to win 10) very few web pages I use Microsoft browsers for would load with it so I found IEXPLORE and pinned it to the task bar (more on that in a bit)

Edge now works with those pages and I have one page I viist (WIRNS,, This is a "Local" server (Meaning the server is about 20 feet from where I'm sitting and you can't go there since the thing only serves to other devices on the same router) and when I schedule a TV show to record.. If EDGE is the only browser open..  The "Program successfully Scheduled" pops up dang near before I can get my finger off the mouse.. Other programs it's 15-20 seconds to get that.

So I like it for that page.

I finally got my #2 computer up on Win-10 yesterday.. Did it the hard way though. Dropped the blanged thing and broke it, had to get a new one.. 179 dollars

For that price I get a new Power Supply (I really need 2 of those due to the way I use the computer) worth about 50 bucks,, I get a new battery worth at least 100 to 124... I get a machine I can mess with in terms of inside it without worry.. A "Factory Reset" Which means I had room to update to Win-10 (Done)

You might note we are down to 10 bucks for the computer.. And I may well be able to scrap more than that out of the old one.. So it's the closest to a "Free Replacement" I've ever gotten.

Upgraded an 1/2 year old ASUS Laptop and a brand new DELL Desktop from WIN 8.1 to WIN 10. No problem.
But the upgrade was no reason for me to change the programs I use until then. I wanted a new operating system (WIN 10), not new programs. So amongst others I forced WIN 10 on both machines to use Firefox, which I use a long time on different computers.

BTW: I like WIN 10

SargeW said:
I have been running Chrome for a few years now and have had very good results.  Lately I have noted that it seems like my browser is running very slow.  I seem to be in a decent signal area, and the Wifi seems strong.  Could this be a symptom of Chrome being goofed up?  I am running W10 and the DW is running W7 with Chrome with the same results.

I had the same kind of slow browser and it was'nt the signal or the speed... it was Chrome by itself.
I saved my favorites, I uninstalled Chrome and I reinstalled it new... and it came back running perfectly.

As info, I've installed Win 10 on my desktop, and so far so good. I don't like the automatic updates that I have no control over. I've managed to shut off all of the other junk they put on.

If anyone has a solution to controlling updates, I'd appreciate it. For example, they put updates for Windows Office 2008, I have Windows Office 2003 on my machine. They also update that program too.

This article will give you some options.  You can turn off updates for other MS products on the Windows Update Advanced Options page.  If you have the Pro version, you can use group policy editor to control updates, but for Home users, the options are fewer and more drastic.

Back
Top Bottom