White Gas Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Thought I would try 'heating' up this board.

FYI

In our small rig we do not carry propane but instead rely white gas (aka:  Coleman fuel) for cooking.  For those who also use this energy source for cooking or outside lighting (classic Coleman lantern) the price of one gallon of fuel has gone well beyond price gouging.  Most places I have looked at it at are now charging $17-$19 per gallon!!

Our solution has been to buy bulk at gas stations in Amish country.  Last year I filled up a 5 gallon gas can with $4 per gallon white gas at the white gas pump.  Much cheaper.  We get over to Amish country (Shipshewana, Indiana for us) once or twice a year and use that opportunity to fill up.  Makes me feel much happier when setting out late at night and watching the bugs circling my hissing red Coleman Lantern. 

Ah, the hiss of a Coleman lantern and stove. I remember Dad insisting that we shellac the cardboard boxes they came in so they'd last longer. Thanks for the memory.

Ken

Not only has it become grossly more expensive, it is also sometimes difficult to find. A couple of years ago, we began looking for a gallon can of it because of hurricane predictions. Couldn't find it anywhere around here in SW Florida. Finally, a month later on vacation, I found some in an Atlanta Bass Pro Shop for $12.00/gal. I'm glad I got it then if the cost is now up even higher.

While the preferred fuel is a naptha or naptha-petroleum blend, any unleaded fuel should work.  It was mostly the lead in the old style gasoline that caused big problems in lanterns and stoves, though other automotive additives probably aren't great either. Supposedly ethanol blends are to be avoided as well, though "small amounts" are probably not harmful.

Places that have "marine gas" often have unleaded, low additive gasoline that should be OK.

Have a hard time taking your socks off in the evening anymore?  Kind of comes with age.  Well here's one that will knock your socks off for you ::) :eek: ::) ::)

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5103A253-Fuel-1Gallon/dp/B003IMRG18/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1439829351&sr=8-35&keywords=coleman+fuel

Wonder how many fish he catches while trolling this line?

Len and Jo said:
Have a hard time taking your socks off in the evening anymore?  Kind of comes with age.  Well here's one that will knock your socks off for you ::) :eek: ::) ::)

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5103A253-Fuel-1Gallon/dp/B003IMRG18/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1439829351&sr=8-35&keywords=coleman+fuel

Wonder how many fish he catches while trolling this line?

Regardless of the product, it seems that anything sold on Amazon always has one or two vendors trying to sell it for ten times the regular price. Why Amazon deals with these people and allows themselves to be associated with crooks is beyond me. If you look at the reviews of this item in this link, you'll find people talking about being able to get it for $9.00/gallon.

http://www.kmart.com/coleman-fuel-premium-blend-32-fl-oz-946/p-089W543388110001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&pla&kpid=089W543388110001&kispla=089W543388110001P&kpid=089W543388110001

Found this at k mart  and bought some two weeks ago at Walmart.

jhskick said:
http://www.kmart.com/coleman-fuel-premium-blend-32-fl-oz-946/p-089W543388110001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&pla&kpid=089W543388110001&kispla=089W543388110001P&kpid=089W543388110001

Found this at k mart  and bought some two weeks ago at Walmart.

That's $7.50 for a quart, so it's $30 a gallon. Not cheap.

I generally use a white gas Coleman stove whole camping too. If I am canoe camping, I use a white gas MSR stove exclusively. The last gallon I bought (this spring) was in the order of $12-$13 for a gallon. I got it at a local big box sporting good store. The price REI wanted for a quart was obscene! I assume that is where the $30 a gallon comes from.

In days of old when I was bold and worked for Acme Quality Paints, division of Sherman Williams... I worked at a K-Mart Store home improvement dept.. They were noted for low prices and as I recall had a "Not be undersold" policy.

That has changed.. I don't shop K-Mart any more.  Too many other places undersell them.

Fact: Local place proudly displays signs. Dasni bottled water  16.9 Oz 1.69... that's 12.80/gallon for WATER folks.

And you are discussing the price of Gasoline.

Gary RV Roamer said:
While the preferred fuel is a naptha or naptha-petroleum blend, any unleaded fuel should work.  It was mostly the lead in the old style gasoline that caused big problems in lanterns and stoves, though other automotive additives probably aren't great either. Supposedly ethanol blends are to be avoided as well, though "small amounts" are probably not harmful.

Places that have "marine gas" often have unleaded, low additive gasoline that should be OK.

Yeah, I remember dad buying premium grade unleaded fro his.  He's not the most by the book guy, and I always imagined it might be a little bit dirtier over time, but so what..... it probably needs cleaning anyway!

Side note, I just filled up my silverado with a tank of the no-ethanol stuff they're selling now for boats and small engines.  I just wanted to remind myself what my real mileage is supposed to be with gasoline!  Too early to say really with only one commute in so far, but based on my in dash average indicator I'm seeing roughly 12% to 15% increase...

I've got one of the old Coleman stoves in the shed.  Haven't used it in over 20 years.  At that price, I probably won't :)

I gavr up on my white gas camp stove and lantarn....to much of a pain to pump full. Then it burst into a ball of flames.  I went to bottle lp gas.  And use a 20 lbs bulk bottle with a hose addapter

I use non ethanol gas in our lantern and stove it works great, no problem whatsoever. Non ethanol is a lot cheaper and does the same job. I have been using it for over five years without a problem. Coleman lanterns and stoves go hand and hand with camping. Allygerry

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom