What is the length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

When we bought the Fun Finder X-210, the seller told us it was a 21 foot trailer.  When I looked it up online, NADA lists it as a 23 foot.  When Hubby and I measured outside, the actual trailer is 20 feet and the hitch an additional 3 feet.  We didn't measure the back bumper but that would be a few more inches.

I've been reading a blog with a trailer that looks like it is laid out like ours.  The guy has a lot of space-saving modifications for a trailer this size and he says his trailer is 19 feet.  But NADA says his trailer is 24 foot.  Maybe he meant the interior is 19 feet.

When you tell someone your trailer size, which one is it?  Outside trailer only, inside trailer, or from bumper to end of hitch?

I will give you my opinion and it is just my opinion.

Model numbers can be misleading.  I consider the length to be just what it is.  I measure from the hitch to the back of the trailer.  That is a real number and can be used for such things as parking spot size and in my case to add to the Coach to give overall length.

Numbers used by the manufacturers often refer to the "box" of the trailer. Our model 27BHS, for example, has about 27'-28' of interior length but is about 31' overall tongue to spare tire. Does not matter what you tell people - personal preference. You will want to know the actual length, though, when reserving campsites to be sure you can fit nicely in the site and not be cramped.

My model number is 272, leading one to believe it's a 27'box. OAL is supposed to be 34.5'. Curiosity is getting the best of me, I guess I'll measure both tonight. Due to the rounded front, the extreme inside to inside should be longer than the floor including the storage area.

HueyPilotVN said:
I will give you my opinion and it is just my opinion.

Model numbers can be misleading.  I consider the length to be just what it is.  I measure from the hitch to the back of the trailer.  That is a real number and can be used for such things as parking spot size and in my case to add to the Coach to give overall length.

I agree.

We looked at a model 22xxx something trailer one time.  It measured 32 feet in length.

Measured the TT tonight. The model as I said before is 272. The floor is 28.5', the length from hitch to bumper is 34.5' and the spare adds another foot.

Our Fun Finder 265RBSS is 28'9" tip to tail.  I use 29' when someone asks or when requested for a reservation at a campground.

I think you will find the length in most cases to from the ball hitch or 5er pin to the back bumper.  I talked with some salesmen at camper shows and some manufactures will will base model numbers off of square feet of living space. Then there are some where no one can figure the model numbers in comparison to length or anything else.

My Tracer 2640RLS is actually 26' add the hitch and rear bumper and it's 30', the Big number is it's an "Ultra Lite" and weighs 7500 Lb. Hummm!

Sr Fox said:
The length depends on the given situation.  If I am paying by the foot, ours is a 35 footer.  If I am bragging it is a 40 footer.  We need 40 feet from the bike rack to the hitch.
  :)
Another situation is when asking for tech information always give the trailers model number.
  On another RV web a member asked for loaded pin weight on his 36' certain brand trailer. After 6 pages of arguing weighs he  finally came back and said the trailer was a 31' RL model. Made about 980 lb difference in pin weight. The 36' was for bragging rights.

Trailers are generally measured from the ball/pin to the farthest aft part of the trailer (bumper) for a actual length..

longhaul said:
  :)
  On another RV web a member asked for loaded pin weight on his 36' certain brand trailer. After 6 pages of arguing weighs he  finally came back and said the trailer was a 31' RL model. Made about 980 lb difference in pin weight. The 36' was for bragging rights.

Trailers are generally measured from the ball/pin to the farthest aft part of the trailer (bumper) for a actual length..

You knew this was coming... I guess size DOES matter... :-[

sorry

Keith :-*

My 29- 5t is 31.5 foot from bumper to pin... never understood model numbers :)

Many of  model numbers are referring to the square footage of the trailer, NOT THE LENGHT.  Like my Fuzion 420  It has 420 sq. ft. of space in it but it is 43' long from King Pin to end of trailer. 8)

Look folks, model numbers are arbitrary. They mean whatever the guy who assigned the number thought it should mean. There are no rules, nor even many conventions.  They model number might be Aunt Tillie's birth year + the marketing VP's initials.  Don't base any decisions on an arbitrary character string whose sole purpose in life is to designate a set of build instrutions at the factory and an entry in the sales catalog.

Gary RV Roamer said:
They model number might be Aunt Tillie's birth year + the marketing VP's initials.

Hehe, mine is surprisingly accurate (based on my trailer's model # = length, not Aunt Tillie's birth year) compared to what some have posted.  My understanding of the 32BHDS I own is that it is a 32' trailer, Bunk House, Double Slide.  The latter two are certainly true.  Length within the last 5 minutes is 31'10" interior wall-to-wall, 32' 6" exterior front-to-back, and the tongue adds 3 more feet.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Don't base any decisions on an arbitrary character string whose sole purpose in life is to designate a set of build instrutions at the factory and an entry in the sales catalog.

Nothing more true than that, and to be more broad... it's another example of why researching and doing your own homework (not trusting anything that comes from a catalog or a salesperson's mouth) is the best practice when shopping for an RV.

Back
Top Bottom