Replacing a Kindle Fire with what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

My wife has an original Kindle Fire and she would like to upgrade, so she asked me what I thought she should get.  She's not a computer person at all, and she reminded me to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)  I thought she might like an Android based tablet, which would give her a greater variety of apps to choose from, and she could use the Kindle app to download her Kindle stuff.

I was looking at a Samsung Galaxy Tab A or an Acer Iconia Tab 8, both of which are currently available at our Costco, but after reading some CNET reviews, I'm not sure. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.  Thanks.

I have two Google Nexus 7 tablets that work great.  I don't think that Google is still selling that model, they went to a nine inch called the Nexus 9.  On ours, we have one that is WiFi only and the other one can accept a SIM card to use cellular.

We started with a Generation 1 Apple IPad in 2010 and was glad when the battery finally got bad enough to replace.  I'm not an Apple person and the Android system suits me better.

If she is thoroughly into the Amazon ecosystem, then a newer Fire would probably be the best choice.  There are multiple models in 6", 7" and 8.9" display sizes and different resolutions.  If she would like to move to a true Android tablet, I've always liked the Nexus models and still own one of each of the 2 original generations.  They are pure Android, no crapware, and get updates sooner as they are direct from Google.  I presently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10 and like it, but Samsung does add a bunch of apps of their own that I don't find any use for.  My next tablet will probably be another Nexus.

My experience is very close to Ned's in using a Samsung Tab3 (10") with WiFi, (not cell data) almost daily. There are quite a few useless (to me) apps included but so what, they do take up some memory space but you can add a 16, 32, or 64Gig card quite easily, unlike the Apple models. (I just added a 32G after the 16g failed, so far so good). There are quite a few interesting apps available for free as well. My wife, who hates computers, just loves her Apple IPad Air, tablets are a new world compared to a 'puter.

I am not into Kindle but do have the Kindle reader installed but have never used it to date. I use the Overdrive reader and get my books from the libraries where I have a membership. This reader, once set up, permits you to download either the EPUB or Kindle versions (both are generally available) and read them. It keeps track of the borrowing timetable too. The libraries permit building a wait list if the book you want is not readily available. (E Libraries have only a limited number of copies to loan at any given time, and limited borrowing duration, just like paper books.)

I replaced my Kindle Fire with a Galaxy Tab and use it for reading books from Amazon all the time.  Works great.

I have had a nexus, 7 I think... maybe it was a 6.
it didn't last long at all.  Battery life stunk and it died an early death.

DW bought another one for my daughter.  It still works but the battery life is horrible and it's glitchy.

DS has a Fire 6 and likes it, except one of his games isn't available on it.  It seems good at 8 months old

We have several ipads primarily used by the kids.  Some are 1st and second generations and still going strong.  Those things are built well.

Personally, I'd go with a chromebook.  I'm not a tablet person....
But I agree with Ned if she's firmly amazon, a new Fire is likely best.

If she's only reading and nothing else, I always thought those etch n sketch looking things looked interesting.....

My vote would also be to just get another Kindle Fire. The new ones have better screens and are faster, but she will be able to use it right away with little learning curve. They still can run a lot of apps besides just being a reader.

Mike

I like my Nexus 10, with its built-in GPS receiver and Bluetooth keyboard. I sometimes go a couple of weeks without booting up my laptop.

Thanks for the replies.  I looked into the Nexus 7 that Ned and others suggested and it got good reviews, but I think I'm going to go with the Kindle Fire 7 HDX, which also received a lot of good reviews and should be an easy transition from the Kindle Fire for my wife. 

for me, I haven't found enough reason to upgrade from my original Fire.
I've had it for  four years and it still does what I need it to do.
I mainly read, or play simple games like Backgammon.
Occasionally watch a movie, and use it for internet with wifi if I don't have a computer with me.

Until it dies, I don't think  I have a need to upgrade.
I think if I did have to upgrade it would be to the Fire 7 HDX

ceemike said:
Thanks for the replies.  I looked into the Nexus 7 that Ned and others suggested and it got good reviews, but I think I'm going to go with the Kindle Fire 7 HDX, which also received a lot of good reviews and should be an easy transition from the Kindle Fire for my wife. 

That's a good choice.  The Fire HDX is a nice tablet with good specs and all her apps will install to it.  A switch to Android and the Google eco-system might be a bit harsh for her :)

Back
Top Bottom