"Clunking" on front end of Ford F53 motorhome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koodog

Recently developed a clunk in the front end when cruising down the road. Seems to happen whenever coach tends to sway a bit from the road and going over rough terrain. In my searching I've found a TSB about adding "z" brackets to the front sway bar. Anyone had this same issue and have brackets installed? Did it fix problem?
Curious minds want to know.  ;)

Attachments

• TSB 04-11-02 (1).pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 16
A "clunk" indicates possible failure in the suspension.  First blush would be A-Frame bushing failure (movement within the connection of the A-Frame and the Frame). 

Get it up on a rack and start looking at the suspension members and a failure of bushings, etc.

Thanks for the input. I started where you guys have mentioned. Did not see any bushing failures. A little research on the net got me to my original question about the TSB from Ford. Was just curious if anyone had this done and it resolved the issue. I'll go ahead and install the z brackets and report back.

Our 1999 Fleetwood Bounder on the Ford Chassis had the exact same problem. The Ford chassis has a plate with bolts that must be torqued to proper tension just next to the front universal that should be checked if the problem is not the u-joints. We took ours to the local Ford dealer and he immediately determine this to be the problem, torqued the bolts and no more clunking. Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom