Rv Travel Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

golffan

What are you using for a RV travel log to keep track of expenses, campgrounds, fuel, etc.? Nice to keep a record of some kind to review different trips. I have always written everything down in a notebook in the past.

I would say a simple yellow tablet or journal... This weekend is our inaugural trip to the Frio River....  Let's see what the wife plans on doing.... She is OCD about stuff like this...

Albert

We just use a journal to log purchases and repairs but I'm not particularly concerned about cost analysis. If I were, I'd use a spreadsheet to keep track.

Ernie

Not RV exactly... but...
For years, I used to use software such as quicken and MS Money to track everything I spent. (I'm an engineer and like data)

I could tell you within maybe $100 or so where every cent went over a 1 year period.

After doing this for several years, I concluded that it was a huge amount of work to collect a bunch of data that I rarely used.
yes, I must be dense as it took me so long to figure out :eek:

Anyway, my point is this
Unless you have some specific reason like taxes, I suggest you forget tracking it.  you'll be happier.  Just enjoy the trip.

I will add this.....
I have been tracking fuel usage and generator time using google sheets
just to get an idea of MPG and generator usage....
but I'll probably stop doing that soon (see my previous post).  I have a year's worth of data so I guess I have a pretty good idea now....

I like the stuff on google drive (sheets & docs).  It's easy to get at from my phone or any computer.  It syncs nicely with no effort

I also sat down one day and made a map on google maps, putting a pin every place we've stayed in the RV overnight.  Kinda fun to look at.  I'll probably keep this up.

I tracked every penny we spent for years prior to retiring. This allowed me to know how much money I needed each month, how much I had left over for fun and gave me the courage to know I was doing the right thing. Then I tracked carefully for a couple of years after retirement to make sure my previous estimates were in the ballpark.

Now I only track where we go, when we go and a brief description of things I want to remember. I also jot down the travel time and unusual events. This helps when we are planning other trips. Sometimes one 100 mile trip takes longer to drive than a different 100 mile trip.

I still use the same excel spreadsheet I used when I was tracking everything. My handwriting is poor and so it's nice to be able to read it years later. I can sort and make tables with the data from every time we went to a certain place, or where we were on Christmas every year.

Ken

I go low tech, a small spiral notebook. I store it by the passenger seat so I can easily make notes as we travel. I note gas stations and exit number, campgrounds, and anything interesting to see!

A number of members use Rolling Stock, developed by forum staffer Ned Reiter. Don't know if it's currently maintained, but maybe Ned will comment.

I have a small spiral notebook in the console of the truck and note all expenses, miles traveled when refueling etc. Then it gets put in a spreadsheet that I have been keeping for the past 5 years or so....average MPG, Total Fuel Cost, AVG Cost of fuel, Miles traveled and States covered and notes for anything interesting - special campgrounds etc....I also rate every entry from a quality standpoint on a scale of 1-10....

I refer to it often when trip planning and when going to the same place or close for places missed or places really liked.

It helps....

Jim

The version of Rolling Stock from the web site will work with the later versions of Windows with the proper installation procedure.  The details are shown on the web site.  A newer version is in development but there is no release date as of yet.  I'll be glad to help anyone with setting up and using it.  Also, if you use code GBA000S1 at checkout, there is a 20% discount for RV Forum members.

The only log I keep is in a small notebook and only of the places we have stayed, our impressions of it and if there are specific sites we like I jot those down along with the miles traveled to and from.  I do keep a fuel log on my Ipad, which calculates MPG, simply to spot trends in my engines performance.

Back
Top Bottom