EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: NewEgg  (Read 10050 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: NewEgg
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 12:13:10 PM »
what kind of a debate did I start here?

LOL Smoky, you're pretty good at getting such debates going. If we have a quiet time, I'll just drop you a note asking you to post a question.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 12:20:52 PM »
Being a math major, I'm quite familiar with statistics and how they can be (mis)used :)  I believe one of the references I gave discussed the methodology used in the MTBF calculations.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 12:23:01 PM »
I think it is cool how they integrated the speaker to the cigarette lighter adapter. BTW has anyone figured out a way to get audio output from the Garmin fed to another device?

Different strokes I guess Smoky. I find the speaker in the lighter adapter to be a PITA. It takes up too much room and runs interference with things I try to plug into adjacent adapters. Like you, I thought of interfacing the GPS audio with the audio equipment on the vehicle. That would also allow me to replace the bulky thing that plugs into the 12V adapter. I rarely use the voice commands, but the driver likes to hear them.

It's been a while since I looked at the 26xx series, but the audio output on the SPIII is via a separate plug, although the audio wires disappear into the same cable loom as the power wires.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 12:36:28 PM »
I believe one of the references I gave discussed the methodology used in the MTBF calculations.

I'd be interested in reading that, having spent part of my career of running accelerated tests, analyzing the results, running the calculations every which way, and publishing/presenting the data in a way that makes the customer happy. The one sure thing I used to teach students about reliability is that you can't verify the result until the patient is dead; Everything else is either theory or a calculation.

Also spent many hours rumaging around the floor of numerous disk drive manufacturers looking for the stuff they threw away, so I could perform autopsies. The large drive manufacturers take reliability very seriously, thanks in large part to pressures from their customers.  When dealing with a HD failure, I could usually tell who the OEM of the PC was from the tone of the conversation. Many of those OEMs were also my direct customers, so I knew how their conversations with the drive guys went.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 12:41:55 PM »
I will be UPGRADING from SA9 to Streets and Trips.

I did that recently Ron but, so far, I'm not overly impressed with S&Ts routing tools. OTOH that might just be part of the learning curve, and I don't do user manuals

BTW I inadvertently screwed up your message, so I deleted it. Apologies.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

Then (as Bernie described) I added vias to get it to match DeLorme.  All through the process I kept joyfully thanking myself I did not have to upload any map data, no matter what origins and destinations I selected.

Smoky, I don't know why you are fixated on uploading. Unless you are plotting a coast to coast trip, the 1GB card will contain as much map as you will usually need.

BTW has anyone figured out a way to get audio output from the Garmin fed to another device?  Not sure it is necessary as the speaker is plenty loud, but just curious in case background noise gets very high.  I like to play music while I a running down the road and it might be cool to feed the Garmin audio into my entertainment center.

The SPIII had a separate plug for the speaker module and you could plug a remote speaker into it. Garmin did away with it on the 26xx and you no longer have that capability.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
Smoky,

No experience with newegg.

If you are not already aware of it: http://gpsinformation.net/ has more than you ever even thought about wanting to know about GPS.  They have a list of recommended vendors: http://gpsinformation.us/main/vendors.htm

I bought from one of their recommended vendors http://www.gpsdiscount.com/home.html and was happy.

With regard to map set size:  I've been plotting a trip from Ga to Yellowstone & Glacier.  The most recent mapsource has a "select maps along routes".  The detail maps are 214M for that trip.

The base map is good for point to point.  You need(?) the detail maps for street level detail and finding the closest grocery store.

Read the review: http://gpsinformation.us/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html

Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

Hosted by Over The Network