Storage Bins in Basement Compartments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

Well, we took delivery of our 2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C on June 18th (Should have been June 8th, but several items needed attention before I took delivery), and unfortunately except for a few trips not staying in the coach overnight have not been able to plan any trips because of the myriad of things that need to repaired or adjusted.  Still not done yet as the major problem is that the basement compartments on the driver's side, and one on the passenger side leak, and with the rains we have been having, getting tired of bailing them out.  The dealer has adjusted the latches once and replaced the gaskets once (yesterday, sent by Fleetwood), last night it rained, and the water still came in.  This leads to the subject - What do you use to put clothes, food and anything that you don't want to get wet or eaten by critters in when storing them in the basement?  Thinking of the plastic bins at Target or Walmart, but don't want to give up the room unless I have to.  Thanks for your thoughts.

I use some from Walmart. They are clear, stackable and come in a couple of different heights.  I keep one (6") just for electrical stuff, another (6") for plumbing stuff, one (6") for a variety of screws and hardware I may need in a emergency and  another (12" or so) for odds and ends like tape, caulking and caulking gun, A-1 lubricating oil, small blue tarp, putty etc.. 

I have a variety of tubs that I keep stuff in, but, truthfully, (to me) the bigger concern is why do the compartments STILL leak? Sounds like a new coach...Fleetwood should be doing everything possible to fix that problem.

I have two sizes of Rubbermaid bins with lids for my underbay.  Two sizes because the structural part in the underbay doesn't permit one size.  But you can use any bins that fit.  That's the main thing.  It doesn't matter what you have if they don't fit!  Also, mine happen to be opaque but others might like clear better.  Jerry also has some both with and without lids.  The without lids tend to have containers with liquid products and they're all different sizes so a lid doesn't work as well.  He has one for electrical cords, one for sewer stuff, one for fresh water hoses, etc.  Depends on how much room you have for what.

ArdraF

Any of the plastic bins should be fine, whether the nice Rubbermaid or cheaper Sterlite. But stuff in the bays ought to stay dry, at least. We rarely use tops on the bins and mostly use them to keep stuff segregated or so it's handy to pull stuff out.

Water can get in under the slideouts where the gear mechanism comes through the wall, but that usually takes a hose or some really strong winds to leak that way.

We use plastic bins for most everything stored in the basement. When you buy them buy them all at once so they are able to stack. Buy tall ones that will fit and short ones. I have lids on all of mine because they sit on top of each other in the basement. Any bins that are empty get stacked with full ones and their lids stored underneath the stack.

Of course you know the basement needs to be dry even if you solve the problem of things getting wet. The continued moisture will cause rust and you don't want that. Hold the dealers feet to the fire and make him fix it.

Ken

For small stuff I use a plastic drawer stack - easy access to get out an adapter or similar small item. The size I wanted was designed as a roll-around cart, but I just left the wheels off. And if the stack is higher than you have room for, you can leave one drawer cube off. I also use a small parts drawer bin for little items, like spare light bulbs, cable tv connectors, fuses, etc.  Fishing tackle boxes work well too - they usually have dividers to make various size/shape compartments.

A tool box is another good storage unit. For tools, obviously, but can also be used for electrical adapters (dogbones), hose fittings, etc.  Available in a variety of sizes.

I also use the very large clear plastic trash bags meant for recycling.  I stuff things in them that aren't in bins, like bedding.  They were a little hard to find, but Lowes and Home Depot do carry them.

Having bins being clear is important to me because I can look at them and see inside instead of taking them out and opening them!

FYI - I also have a Fleetwood with a couple of leaky basement storage areas.  Going to factory in October and that is one thing on my list.

Clear bag is a good idea too.  Thanks.

Judy - What year is your Fleetwood, and when are you going to IN?  Would like to hear your results.

It's a 2012 Tioga Ranger, 32' Class C.  I have been to the Decatur Fleetwood Customer service shop two other times and been very, very happy with the work they do.  MUCH different than what you get at your local dealer.  I will send you a PM since this is off-topic for this thread.

In addition to bins I have some large drawers that I got at Walmart. About 24- x 30- x 6-inches high. They stack three high in a bay.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom