Carrying a gun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joy55

I have a conceal carry lic. I'm going to be living in my motor home. Where do any of you leave your guns when traveling to a non Friendly state. I'm going to NY and I know they don't recognize out of state lic. I'm just not sure where to leave my gun behind. Any suggestions?

If it was me? I would carry it.  The motor home is your home on wheels.  If the police stop and ask you if you are carrying a weapon what do you think I'm going to tell them.  Just simply say no.  If they think they are going to search your home ask for a search warrant.

You need to purchase "The travelers guide to the firearms laws of the 50 states, By John Scott Kappas. It explains in detail what your "rights" are and how to conduct oneself with firearms..>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
You need to purchase "The travelers guide to the firearms laws of the 50 states, By John Scott Kappas. It explains in detail what your "rights" are and how to conduct oneself with firearms..>>>Dan

^^^^^^

What he said.

Very polarizing subject (do a search...will keep you busy for days).  A lot of us carry, and there are some states I simply refuse to visit because of their gun laws.  Others will disagree....but if you're going to carry, it's a very good idea to familiarize yourself with individual statutes.

Also, if you want to go to either Canada or Mexico don't even think of taking it with you.  They're really tough on that one.

ArdraF

utahclaimjumper said:

I agree.
you can buy it here:
http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm

In the tent trailer I had, I installed a lockbox and bolted it down.
If I was someplace where I had any question about the gun laws, the gun would go there, with the ammunition someplace else.
I have not done the same yet in my TT, but plan to do so.
I think that makes it legal just about any place in the US.

I have installed a combination lock safe in on lower bay of mt M/H, going thru Canada weeks ago, it was the first thing customs asked me to open,,,nothing but cash to see, I had shipped my pistol to another city on my route for pick-up by me only, and it worked fine.>>>Dan

I agree with the "you need to get the traveler's guide"

The NRA in this case is your friend.

In most cases if you put the weapon, broken down, in a locked box, with the ammo in another locked box, police can not order you to unlock the boxes without a warrant.. HOWEVER they can hold you and likely know how to obtain a warrant in the event they find a locked box.

There is another option.. hand the gun to a Federally licensed dealer and either have him store it (For a small fee) in his safe till you return or have him ship it to a like dealer (Again for a fee) where you can pick it up down the road.

But I think that is a bit overboard.. I'd go with the guide mentioned above.

If you had to go thru Canada to get to Alaska, why couldn't you completely disassemble the pistol and have all the parts scattered all over the RV and tow vehicle. Don't have any ammunition. Get that in Alaska.

Rene T said:
If you had to go thru Canada to get to Alaska, why couldn't you completely disassemble the pistol and have all the parts scattered all over the RV and tow vehicle. Don't have any ammunition. Get that in Alaska.

Because if you happened to get caught, they will throw you in jail.

I can't remember the name of the company, but you can Google it, that makes lockboxes that can only be opened with your finger or palm print for about $300, if you want to spend that much money. That way, if you don't have the weapon on your person, it will be completely safe and unobtainable, even by the police without a warrant. You can put the box anywhere in your trailer that suits you.

It's funny how it varies so much.  I have a holster for my Springfield 1911A that hangs under the dash of my truck, easily in my reach (what good is it if I can't reach it?).  When I roll through the Border Patrol Checkpoints, they walk up and ask citizenship.  The agent sometimes peeks in the truck and sees it.  I usually get a grin and a "Have a nice day".  That would get me locked up in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico....gotta love 'em.  :)

I also have a concealed weapon permit as well. But I rarely ever conceal the weapon and 99% of the time I'm open carrying on my hip. I look at things a bit different. personal protection is just like a seat belt. You can leave driving you vehicle without your seat belt and take the risk that nothing will happen. Which most likely won't. But that day when you do have an accident you won't have the time to put on your seat belt and suffer injury or death. Kind of like person protection you can leave you RV or vehicle and leave your protection behind and sure be wishing you had it on you the day you get mugged or cornered. You not going to ask the mugger, " Hey wait a second let me go back and get my pistol out of the RV." Not happening.

Like out here the average response time is 1-2 hours. So you better know how to protect yourself for at that long time till LEO gets there. Out here Washington, Oregon and Idaho are all open carry states. As for non-friendly states I would unload, put the weapon in a lock box and that sure be good. Leave it in the house part of the RV.

Mopar1973Man said:
Like out here the average response time is 1-2 hours. So you better know how to protect yourself for at that long time till LEO gets there. Out here Washington, Oregon and Idaho are all open carry states. As for non-friendly states I would unload, put the weapon in a lock box and that sure be good. Leave it in the house part of the RV.
I would be careful in Washington. Sure you can open carry, except for the usual forbidden areas, but you can't open/conceal carry in a vehicle without a CCW from WA or a state with reciprocity. It must be unloaded and locked or put away. I don't go to WA often but I am thinking of adding a Utah CCW since it does have reciprocity with WA.

I don't think there are many, if any, states as gun-friendly as here in AZ. You can even conceal carry without a CCW permit. It's still wise to get one, however, since simply driving within a few blocks of a school is a violation without a CCW. We also (finally) have reciprocity with NV so that is nice.

Mike

Mopar1973Man said:
Like out here the average response time is 1-2 hours. So you better know how to protect yourself for at that long time till LEO gets there.

Mike,
You say 1 to 2 hours. Wow. Why bother the police. Just dig a deep hole next to the culprit, roll them in and cover it over.  ;D

Rene T said:

I have just gone through this problem and decided not to carry into Canada, no matter how many places it was hidden.  Daughter went to the Canadian Customs Office at the border  (she lives in Canada) and talked to them.  She gave me two words of advice - Forget It.  First question they ask - do you have any guns?  If they doubt your NO answer and search and find one piece of a gun, they told her they will tear the coach apart to find the rest of it while you (and your family) cool your heels - you in jail and them looking in).  If you ship ahead, it has to be from one gun dealer to another.  I checked with no less than 7 gunshops near the border and NONE would store a gun even for a nice fee.

Better to b judged by 12 than carried by 6. Keep it hidden under the brides seat, she will gladly hand it to u if the need arises. This worked for us several yr's ago when a 6'5" 280 or so Lb. oak table leg wielding dude came at us telling like a madman. U had to see the shocked look of horror on his face when I leveled my little 25 cal. S&W at his face. He was about 2 seconds from smashing my skull. Gave him a choice wait for PD or leave in peace. He chose the latter thank God. That's once during my 70 yrs. on earth. I will accept those odds n e time.
Capt.

Same boat as Mopardude out here.....wide, wide open spaces.  Response time for law enforcement could be an hour away or more.  There are also a  lot of places where there is no cell phone service for 50 + miles in any direction.  Basically, as far as protecting your loved ones and yourself, you're on your own.  Your odds of encountering someone who wishes to inflict injury on you are minuscule....but they exist.  That's good enough for me.  It's under the dash of the truck or on my hip.  I'm too old to fight and too young to die.

But when we travel, I like to research carry laws ahead of time.  I'm going to carry either way...and will avoid the People's Republik states.  Nobody will ever know I have it unless I have to use it, in which case whether or not it was "legal" to carry it will be the least of my problems.  I'm one of them old school rednecks.....the second amendment IS my carry permit.  If I have to face jurisprudence at some point because of my views, so be it.  I go to extremes to avoid trouble and confrontation, and will gladly talk my way out of it, or walk (or run) away if that's an option.  But when the easy solutions are exhausted to no avail, we go to Plan B. 

Bottom line, it behooves folks to educate themselves ahead of time about legalities wherever they intend to travel.

Mopar1973Man said:
Out here Washington, Oregon and Idaho are all open carry states.

This is true, but in at least here in Washington you rarely see anyone open carry.
Too many anti gun folks that freak out when they see a gun, even if it is legal.
It's easier  to get a CPL and don't tell anyone you are carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom