camping in USA with European motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajaxgrac14

Hello Forum,

What do I need to do to drive a european motorhome in the USA??  The camping trip we are considering would start on the east coast and traverse the country to west coast along US/Canada border ,then head to South America(Chile) and back to NE USA over 8-12 month period.
Any/all info and advice would be appreciated!!

It sounds like you're going to cram five years of travel into only one year!  All the way from the northeast, across the US, down Latin and South America to Chile, and back to the northeast.  You could use the entire year just in the USA if you've never been here before.  Utah alone could be a month.  Also California.  A lot of Europeans in particular come here thinking they can "do" the US in six months and quickly realize our distances are much greater here so they end up covering the country in several trips.  What is your home country?

What kind of motorhome will you be driving?  If you haven't seen it yet, there is a forum on the internet having to do with RVing in Mexico and South America.  It will be interesting to hear how your plans progress.  Good luck!

ArdraF

Don't forget to get a visa as a normal visa for the USA is only valid for 3 months, going to Canada and coming back will not extend it so you might be up for a different visa than a tourist visa. Read the stickies and the stories here it is not a cut and dry story or easy to understand. Before I immigrated to the Usa we had a Dutch/US forum about immigration that's when I learned that the rules are sometimes very fuzzy and the immigration officer might or might not do what the rules are saying and what you think it should be. Yup that fuzzy!

Looking at your forum name you might be Dutch? as in AJAX a soccer club. If so you might think about what ArdraF said, the distances are huge here. I live in Minnesota and that is 4 times as big as the Netherlands and it's by far not the biggest state here, travels easy because it's flat. Your plan might work but depends how much you like to travel each day and what you like to visit. Some people travel for 10 years in the USA and still did not visit each state.

I see Euro rv all the time around here mostly german.    I'm shoure theirs a slue of paperwork in order to ship and drive a foreign registered vehical in the USA and central america.  Your talking multiple countrys on one trip. A nightmare of paperwork..  And Mexico has some major saftey concerns on top of that

I too will mention the size of this country.. Like 3,000 miles wide by 1,000 high,, Many compaines which did well in England or other countries over there came to this country and kind of went OH MY GOD, when they saw the logistics of how they worked,, I mean we have FIVE time zones (4 in the part you will visit plus Hawaii).

For the RV.  There likely will be some legal stuff, I can not help you there. Technical stuff.. We use different power here for the most part so

An adapter to use your 240 volt RV on 50 amps woudl be very easy to make (Simple plug, pigtail and outlet)

But to use it on a 30 amp site you are going to need a transformer because other than 50 amp outlets,, We usually use 120 volt.. and if plugging in to a 30 amp outlet other than a RV park (And even then if you really want to be careful) CHECK THE VOLTAGE cause there are many outlets that look like a TT-30 Outlet and accept the matching plug.. but are the WRONG VOLTAGE.

Regular Gasoline is 87 octane here,, Shoudl be "high test" by your standards.

Oh and Televisions.. US uses NTSC for some cable and ATSC and QAM all based on 60 HZ (30 HZ refresh rate) Yours are likely PAL and 50HZ (25 Hz Refresh rate) so they will not work.

An adapter to use your 240 volt RV on 50 amps would be very easy to make (Simple plug, pigtail and outlet)

Ummmm., Nope, I don't think so. You would need, at least, a transformer (our 120V campground power to Europe's 240V within the RV if that is what is used ) and a new power cord and coach inlet for a simple 30 amp conversion. But I don't know enough about European power and phasing (other than it is likely 50 cycle) to suggest anything else at this point. Electrical Clocks (ie microwave) probably won't read correctly though, but no big deal!!.

Hi Folks,

Friends of us, from Germany, travelled more then six months with their Hymer MH, all over the USA and Canada. Did not need to connect to the electrical power. All cooking and the fridge was by propane and lights, radio and charging several items like tablets, phones etc, throught the house-batteries charged by solar and during driving. They never had problems.

Well they hadden't an AC so no hugh powerconsumption, and during driving they run the engine AC, if necessary. As a backup they used only a few times their Honda generator (230volts/50Hz)

Since the US and German propane filling connections are the same, filling up the propane tank(s) was no problem at all.

The only big difference, the dumping of the black water is some different, we uselly use the Thettfort Casette Toilets, with a removable tank that has to be emptied "manually" .... They have an contence of about 20 liters, max. But you don't want it to be als filled like that  :mad:
It sounds terrible, and if one is of the clumbsy type ... It will be !!
But if one is used to it, like we are (have to) it's not that bad.
(I still like the american way of dumping far more ...  :D
Dumping the gray water, using a wide hose (not that big diameter as used in the US) is fairly easy.

Bye, Dani?l

Coming from the UK you do need an International Driving Permit - easily obtained from a main post office - just turn up with your UK driving licence and fill out the form plus you will need a passport sized photo.  They will provide it there and then.

Two electrical concerns, voltage and Hertz.  European is likely 2220-240v, which can be had from US 50A campground power, but the US Hertz will always be 60, whereas European is typically 50.  US 30A power is 120v only and no way to adapt to 220 without a transformer.  There is probably a physical plug difference as well, but that should be easy enough to adapt once your plug configuration is identified.

I don't know what sort of water line connection your coach has, so maybe a water hose thread difference as well? I think th UK uses BPT (British Pipe Thread) specs, but not sure about the rest of Europe.  US hose connections use a 3/4" threaded connector with a unique thread type, different than US NPT (National Pipe Thread). It's called "Garden Hose Thread' and is a non-tapered thread with 11.5 threads/inch.

I don't think you can make the trip you described in 8 months, and even a year is pushing it. Unless you just plan to just drive and never actually stop and see anything. For example, from Seattle Washington (near the Canadian border) to Santiago Chile is about 6500 miles or 10,500 Km. That is air travel distance, and driving distance is probably 50% greater. I think you are planning to drive more than 30,000 miles (48,000 km), much of it over local roads in mountain terrain.

As others have said, you could easily spend a year crossing the USA along the Canadian border and then returning via a more southern route. That would typically be a 10,000 mile (16,000 km) journey by itself, with sight-seeing stops too numerous to mention.

Gary,

I think European power is 220V, 50 Hz, SINGLE PHASE not the same as our two phase 220.

I'd also suggest that you don't want to drive the American southwest, let alone Central and South America without air conditioning. Relying on driving and solar won't work for air. It also doesn't allow for stopping to sight see or just rest. I do expect that most European moters will work fine on 50 Hz, but not tv's and clocks will be slow.

Ernie

Coming from the UK you do need an International Driving Permit ...

Don't waste your time; It's merely a 'translation' of your home licence, and is not recognized by any states I'm aware of. In fact, California specifically says they don't recognize it. States will usually recognize your home licence.

Hmmmm...

Advice from the UK AA...

R ? USA (Florida) compulsory IDP ? 1 January 2013
A law was introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requiring all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

The Governor of Florida repealed this law on 2 April 2013, however, car hire companies and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions so you should check with your intended hire/insurance company prior to travel or obtain an IDP as a precautionary measure.

And this URL - it would seem advisable and not the same as an International Driving Licence - the IDP is an addition to your local driving licence

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

Ernie n Tara said:
Gary,

I think European power is 220V, 50 Hz, SINGLE PHASE not the same as our two phase 220.

I'd also suggest that you don't want to drive the American southwest, let alone Central and South America without air conditioning. Relying on driving and solar won't work for air. It also doesn't allow for stopping to sight see or just rest. I do expect that most European moters will work fine on 50 Hz, but not tv's and clocks will be slow.

Ernie

US 240VAC is also single phase for most applications other than three phase industrial use. The only difference is that the phase is commonly tapped at the zero crossing for a neutral to split the voltage into two 120VAC components. That's 240VAC peak to peak, and 120VAC peak to zero. The only problem the OP should have other than dealing with the mentioned 120VAC 30 amp only parks and the frequency sensitive device inaccuracies, would be finding or making a suitable plug adapter.

NY_Dutch said:
US 240VAC is also single phase for most applications other than three phase industrial use. The only difference is that the phase is commonly tapped at the zero crossing for a neutral to split the voltage into two 120VAC components. That's 240VAC peak to peak, and 120VAC peak to zero. The only problem the OP should have other than dealing with the mentioned 120VAC 30 amp only parks and the frequency sensitive device inaccuracies, would be finding or making a suitable plug adapter.
Seabridge who are the shippers are providing a  step up transformer from 120 to 240 so we should be just fine.  No sure how many amps that will support but we are not massive users - our onboard genny when we use it provides 2.5kw and is sufficient for most things.

ceejayt said:
Seabridge who are the shippers are providing a  step up transformer from 120 to 240 so we should be just fine.  No sure how many amps that will support but we are not massive users - our onboard genny when we use it provides 2.5kw and is sufficient for most things.

Terrific! You'll be all set then, and a premature "Welcome to the US!"  ;D

I guess it doesn't hurt to have the IDP in case someone asks for it, although it's not a valid licence per se. When I first started coming to the US, I used to always have an English translation of my Welsh language driving licence; It was printed on the back  ;D

When we visit the UK, rental companies never ask for an IDP when I present my California licence.

As somebody already noted, US 50A/220v campground service  is "split phase", which the EE-types can  (somehow) explain is different than "two phase". Don't ask me to explain it - I cannot!  In any case, it works as a 50A/220v source but at 60 Hz rather than 50 Hz. Many things won't care about the Hz rate, though.

3-phase (THAT I can explain) is a different story, but campground power outlets are not 3-phase.

Back
Top Bottom