One coach battery has dead cell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

One coach battery has dead cell
I have two 4 year old 12 volt group 24  Interstate batteries in my Winnebago Class C.  We are getting ready for a trip and checked them with my battery hydrometer and found a dead cell in one of the batteries.  All other cells checked in the green good area of the hydrometer.  We now only stay where we are hooked up to electric.  Will it hurt the other battery if I keep the batteries hooked together or should I take the bad battery out or at least disconnect it?  Dick nvrver

Disconnect the bad battery, because it can never be fully charged, it may cause the charger to overcharge, and possibly damage the good one.

DO NOT leave the bad cell battery hooked to the good battery.  The bad battery will pull down the good battery and ruin it as well.  As it is, when you replace the bad battery you may as well buy 2. A four year old battery will not take as much of a charge as a new battery.  Thus the new battery charge will never be higher than the 4 year old battery.

Remove the defective battery.. Do not leave it in the circuit.
Options are
1: replace it ASAP
2: Leave it out (You loose non-plugged in/non-generator time but otherwise should be ok) and IF YOU HAVE THE HEADROOM replace the two G-24's with a pair of GC-2's (About the same price and a lot more useful power) when #2 shows signs of failure.

nvrver said:
Thanks, I will disconnect it.  John what are with a pair of GC-2's?    Dick

6 volt golf cart batteries.  Can be picked up at Sams Club or Wal Mart or similar.  The 6 volt batteries are much more sturdy than the 12 volt models usually.

Back
Top Bottom