More fishing in Wyoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've fished several rivers and streams here in Wyoming, but haven't scratched the surface of the opportunities available. Today, after buying an "annual" WY license, for the first time I fished the Greys River and its tributary, the Little Greys. It was a bit of a drive into the Bridger National Forest on gravel roads, but well worth the drive.

Great scenery, some of which reminded me of fishing in the homeland. Caught some rainbow trout in the Little Greys, but didn't see any cutthroat or big browns.

Got to use some of the "good" fishing gear we brought from home after our quick dash back to CA last week.

Attachments

• GreysR-3c.jpg
    GreysR-3c.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 81
Thanks Marie. You're right about it being a flyfishing paradise, and there are numerous streams in nearby Idaho all within driving distance of here.

Thanks to forum member Tim Lassen, a couple of days ago we fished another new-to-me stream; Tin Cup Creek in the Caribou National Forest in Idaho. I snapped this pic of Tim as he was "casting around the corner". No catches that day, but still a wonderful day on the water following the creek as it continually wound back and forth.

The second pic shows Tim fishing McCoy Creek, also in the Caribou NF, a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• TimL-TinCupcreek.jpg
    TimL-TinCupcreek.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Tim_fishing_McCoy2.jpg
    Tim_fishing_McCoy2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 50
If you enjoy a bit of lake fishing...whether from a boat or just from the bank...Soda Lake near Pinedale, WY can be a great place to catch some very nice lunker sized trout.

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/sodalake.htm

We fished there many times when we lived in Sublette County. HUGE brookies and Browns.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great place to take the kids/grandkids.

Tom said:
I've fished several rivers and streams here in Wyoming, but haven't scratched the surface of the opportunities available. Today, after buying an "annual" WY license, for the first time I fished the Greys River and its tributary, the Little Greys. It was a bit of a drive into the Bridger National Forest on gravel roads, but well worth the drive.

mariekie4 said:
That part of Wyoming is a fly fishing paradise. We fished there in the early spring of this year. Enjoy your fishing expedition.

Tom and Marie, I'm hoping to set aside at least two good days for fly fishing when we are in Wyoming.  (Wading not floating.) Where did you stay when you were fishing the Greys?  Right now our TT isn't set up for boondocking but we might have to look into that.  We tentatively plan on being in the Greys River area around May 27.  Do you think that is too early?

We stay at Star Valley Ranch Resort near Thayne. In addition to their own small campground, they have a rental pool with a number of private lots; All have hookups. There are a few other (smaller) campgrounds in the area. To access the Greys, you drive approx 10 miles north on highway 89 to Alpine Junction, then drive east on Greys River Road.

Looking at the map, I see Greys River RV Park at the junction of Hwy 89 and Greys River Road; Convenient for the Greys, the Snake, and the Little Greys. I haven't been in that park and don't know what hookups are available.

We haven't been there end of May, but plan to this year; This should be a good time for the Spring runoff. Maybe Marsha or Tim will chip in on this.

P.S. don't ignore the Salt, with excellent access as it follows Highway 89 all the way down the Star Valley.

Marie, thanks for the endorsement of Greys River RV Park; Duly noted, to pass along to others.

I like the numerous easy-access points on the Salt.

There is a small inexpensive RV Park in Hoback Junction right on the river - fished there a couple times heading South. Not a fancy park by any means - Lazy Day Corral...you can see it easily on Google Earth...191 and 89..right on the Snake.

Have fun,

Jim

Marie,  as a female fly angler, do you have any recommendations regarding waders and wading boots for women who like to fly fish?  I only go fly fishing a few times a year so I can't justify paying a lot of money for high end equipment.  Thanks much!

Maxine (aka Max)

Max, I have to apologize for my tardiness in answering your question - been very busy.

The waders I have are made by Simms and I know they are not inexpensive, however I have been using them now for more than 8 years now and most probably will never have to replace them. They are well made and I am very happy with them. So are my wading boots. When I first started out fly fishing, many moons ago, I also didn't want to fork out all that money on good equipment and finally buckled down and did it, and wonder of wonders, my fishing life just improved with leaps and bounds. In other words, it was worth it!

Remember you do not always need waders, it all depends on water and temperature conditions, as well as where you are fishing. Season is key here. In cold water temps. you need insulated boots as well.

Good luck with your decision and happy fishing. Keep us posted. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom