EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Using baking soda as a water softener in black tanks.  (Read 1575 times)

jcs1377

• ---
Using baking soda as a water softener in black tanks.
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:34 AM »
I apologize if this is a repeated post but I can't find anything that addresses this question. I've seen several comments stating one should use Calgon as a water softener to help clean black tanks. We currently use Arm & Hammer baking soda for this purpose for our sons skin condition. This leads me to wonder if I can use it in our black tank as one would use Calgon. Would the salinity cause an issue of is it safe to use. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

J4
J4

2015 F250 SRW Diesel
2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Using baking soda as a water softener in black tanks.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:04 AM »
You're going to find that the majority of the members here don't us any chemicals at all. Save your money and just use your tanks properly. Do not dump the black tank unless it's at least 3/4 full and flush it real good after dumping. Install a clear elbow at your sewer outlet so you know when it's clean. After cleaning, start out with 5 gallons of water so the break down action starts immediately and use plenty of water when flushing.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Mopar1973Man

• ---
  • Dodge Cummins Powered / Jayco Eagle Living
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
I agree I don't use any tank chemicals or additives.  I do dump the black tank when 3/4 full or better. Yes I do start out with 5 gallons of water so I don't have to waste large amounts of drinking water flushing the toilet. When the trip is over I will rinse all the waste holding tanks out well before putting back in storage. When stored I leave the knife valves open to allow the tanks to dry. Never had a poo pyramid and never have tank sensor issues.
Mopar1973Man (AKA: Michael Nelson) located out in the state of Idaho with...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2000 Jayco Eagle FBS 296
2013 BigTex 70TV Utility Trailer

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
Are you having a particular odor problems with your black tank, or just thinking it should be cleaned?  As mentioned, water is the #1 most effective component for keeping the enzyme action going to break down the solids in there, and provide enough backpressure to flush out anything that has not liquefied yet.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Hosted by Over The Network